All reviews thai restaurant male city four poster hotel staff member indian manager breakfast was delicious nights staying lovely boutique next morning large bed chicken tacos perfect stopover island resort rooms are clean local ferry mini fridge free upgrade
Reviewed 11 February 2013

After what seemed like days of non-stop travel and early mornings arriving at Sala Boutique Hotel was like entering a cool and peaceful escape from the heat, humidity and bustle on the street. Once I stepped inside the courtyard it was like entering another world.

The food was exceptional - as good if not better than any I've eaten in Thailand, the staff gentle, kind and respectful, the air con excellent, and the bed comfy. But it was all the little details and the ambience that made this a great place to rest and recover before embarking on my next adventure.

Thomas too is a real sweetheart - his love for his family and the beautiful sanctuary he has created here is clearly evident. I was so peaceful here I didn't actually leave the hotel.

Oh and the call to prayer - which is the first thing you hear in the morning darkness, is one of the most beautiful I have heard anywhere.

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank AussieLu
Reviewed 8 February 2013

short words........... mr thomas you a star excellent service excellent rooms would recommend this beautiful hotels to many friends and family KEEP IT UP... THOMAS is an excellent host from the start of our stay till our depature thank you

Date of stay: February 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I stayed here for 1 night. the hotel itself is not bad, however my room was very small and in my opinion overcharged. there were 2 main things of concern when i was there: there was some construction going on (noisy) but the real problem was the owner. He shouted at his employees and talked to them very rudely everytime I could overhear a conversation. I think he didn't know that I was in my room and could actually hear what was being said. Another issue, when I arrived, the owner took a phone call in front of me and gave a room away to less then half the price to what I paid. I feel ripped off!! I would not stay here again or recommend this place. There are better hotels for the same price all around Male

Room tip: The room Koh Samui is very small
Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
ThomasSalaFamily, Owner at Sala Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2013

Dear Judith,

Thank you for your comments, noted, as a matter of fairness let me also give my comment; we all have our "days" where things just don't move the way they were supposed to be, especially when you hire a third party company to fix a more than urgent matter such as the repair of our rain catcher that was flooding our open area. The company promised to first of all work clean - this was the lobby part in front of rooms and secondly to finish within 3 hours to avoid complications for the check ins that were on hand at this day. Its the rainy season and it was heavily raining those days.

As already said this day wasn't as expected, the progress of the work was delayed to an extend I was afraid we had to live with the risk of getting flooded and secondly the company was spreading dirt all over the place giving the area a touch of construction site, completely out of place in a hotel operation. You may think this was respect-less? A third party that has such work behavior shows no respect to those who pay them and have agreed to their services! My reaction might have been a bit rough, maybe, but, having a 7 days week since years 16 to 18 hours a day leaves sometimes little room for patience if it comes to such issues that needs to be resolved in the interest of our guests that expect to have a clean and safe environment.

Regarding the reservation call you seem to have overheard while passing by the reception, we do give last minute rooms to work permit holders here in the Maldives as a gesture to colleagues here in this country regardless of nationality or race including local people; should this offend you I am truly sorry but similar practices are common in all hospitality related areas such as in the airline industry.; its a recognition of the trade we are in.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

When traveling, I usually do not stay at smaller boutique hotels. However, this is truly a diamond in Male. The owner Thomas has been working in hotels and resorts for over 40 years and decided to settle and run his own in Male. There is a certain craftsmanship that comes with his experience and he is extremely accommodating and helpful. We really like the touch of Thai represented in the hotel, with each room representing a city in Thailand.

In our situation, we booked a side trip to another island and had the burden of our luggage at check out from another resort. Thomas helped set up the luggage pickup from the airport, transported the luggage to the hotel and picked us up later that evening. Without his attention to detail and timing required for this to work, it would have been quite a burden.

After the long day, it's nice that he has a mini massage/spa onsite providing Thai Massage, Reflexology and Mani/Pedi.

His restaurant inside, Sala Thai, is well known and many travelers in Male can tell you the food is wonderful. Honestly, prior to the Maldives we were in Thailand, and the food was on par, and in some cases better than Thailand. It tasted cleaner and has a nice presentation.

For breakfast, you enter the Venice Room, where there are pictures of Venice Italy on the walls. The breakfast consisted of dark german bread, omelette, cheese, sausage... to name a few. Very good.

As we were running late to the airport, his staff also accommodated us to the check in, to make sure we arrived with our luggage on time.

If you're staying in Male, even for a night, you will not regret staying here. The cost is fair and you feel you get more than you pay for with their service.

Room tip: We liked the bigger Ayutthaya room.
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank KB24-TLN
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed for 4 days at the Sala Boutique Hotel. The stay was very comfortable and the hotel staff was very courteous. The room was very clean and full of amenities. I would like to give 10 out of 10 for cleanliness and ambiance. Mr Thomas had provided us with really useful tips to roam around and enjoy our vacation in the best possible way. I should thank the team at Sala for making our trip memorable.
I must say it has one of the best restaurants in town, with very elegant interior and delicious Thai food.

Date of stay: December 2012