“Great food, kind service”

Daniel's Restaurant & Catering
Ranked #1 of 145 Restaurants in Apex
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I took my parents (both retired) and my wife and kids (9 and 3) here on a weekday night. Tuesday, I believe it was. I had heard good reviews, but didn't really expect much. The building exterior is drab and dated. The interior wasn't much better. Clean, for sure. But outdated.

The food, though, was fantastic. We had their calamari appetizer, and it was delicious. The sauce had just the tiniest kick to it, and added a nice dimension to the flavor experience.

My dinner was lobster ravioli with shrimp. It was not the best lobster ravioli I had; the ravioli pasta felt a little tough. Others in my family had pizza, a huge salad, and their homemade spaghetti. I sampled each of their dishes, and they were all far better than mine.

Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Food was delicious. The service was amazing. They have an excellent gluten free menu and staff is careful about cross-contamination. Pleasant atmosphere. I highly recommend this restaurant. Very busy on the weekend so make reservations. Small parking lot but they offer free valet parking.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

When we first moved to Apex many years ago (2000), Daniels was always touted as "the best Italian eatery in the area hands down!!" Well... sautéed garlic butter vented outdoors smells amazing - but that is about the extent of the glory of this Italian restaurant...

The food here is average, and quite frankly the Carrabba's chain up the street is better overall in almost every area (except for the lack of garlic butter venting outdoors). Daniel's is bland by any Italian's measure and each time I went the noodles were overcooked (al dente is the target for me). Given that it was probably the ONLY Italian restaurant within 20 miles back then, I could understand why it would be so raved. But even our most recent visit was affirmation of why we never go there.

Truth is - I only went 3 times over 15 years and all 3 times were overpriced subpar experiences. Perhaps they have menu items that shine, perhaps I had bad luck with poor chefs, but I didn't get em and I haven't spent my money there since.

Hey, to each his own. I just don't like it. Give me fresh tomato sauce with bold bright flavors. ;)

PS. Why doesn't any Italian restaurant around there offer a decent bread? A good springy airy loaf with a light crisp crust served warm and tender? Maybe it *IS* rocket science!!?

1  Thank Greg W
Reviewed 8 August 2017

We love Daniel's for lunch time and dinner. The food has always been really good along with great service.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Service was pretty decent. Had some wine spilled on our plate onto the food during pouring - twice. No apology or offer to replace the plate or food.

The food, however, is amazing and delicious. Portions were large. We had a wonderful wine to go along with or meal and the overall experience was quite good. Would definitely go back again and try more dishes.

Next time if service is also excellent would be glad to leave an excellent rating.

Been to Daniel's Restaurant & Catering? Share your experiences!