“It's all about the service”
Review of Matt's Rancho Martinez - CLOSED

Matt's Rancho Martinez
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 23 October 2013

In the north Dallas and Collin County area there are probably 300 okay Mexican restaurants. Matt's is a cut above for a couple of reasons: the service is really really good, and their catfish (no, I'm not kidding) is absolutely KILLER good. Been there probably 20 times since they opened, and every single time their waiters have been right on point. Refill? No waiting for your iced tea. Margarita? On its way. Happy hour about to end? Dude is right there to let you know.

Now, about the catfish dinner in a Tex-Mex restaurant...it's crazy good. Jalapeno cole slaw is tangy and has a little heat but it's not too hot. French fries are good and crispy. But it's the catfish in its crispy almost fish-and-chips style batter (think tempura light and crunchy) that rocks this dish. don't get me wrong: I like the southern-style cornmeal crust that is traditional for catfish, but this is soooo much a welcome change! The Bob Armstrong Dip is a cheesy-meaty-sour creamy treat. The chile rellenos are excellent -- best I've had in a long time. But honestly, what keeps me coming back is the catfish with the jalapeno slaw...and the jalapeno margaritas. And I am by no means a Chile Head. I have wimpy taste buds. But weirdly enough I really like the spice in their slaw and their margaritas. Go figure.

There are newer reviews for Matt's Rancho Martinez

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I went to dinner here meeting my brother and his wife, their child and my mom. I had been told good things by my brother who lives in Allen and has eaten here a few times. After tonight's visit, we decided we will not be back. I ordered the chicken fried steak. The meat was good, the fries old and dry and no dressing was ever brought for my salad until the end of my meal. Never was my request for ketchup honored. My brother's meal included barracho beans which were not brought until the end, drinks not filled and in general horrible service. I will not be back to this location.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Visited on 9/28/13. We are big Tex Mex fans and this was our first trip here. I hear this place is big in other area of Texas. South Texas I think. I am not sure how it will hold up to the Tex Mex Places here in the DFW area. The food here is good and in a way a little different. Some will think good different and some may think so-so different but the food is not bad. I had some very tender beef fajita's made from tenderloin. My wife had cheese enchiladas. The Bar area was nice and I will most certainly go back to sit at the bar for a game and a snack sometime. It was overly cold in the bar this night. Too cold. I hope it is not this cold when I return. I saw one couple laughingly deny seating in the bar because it was so darn cold. The staff were very good in all areas. Good location. The menu is creative. Solid place for sure.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

This is my favorite salad. It isn't often that you can find a delicious non-taco salad at a tex-mex spot! I always order this with grilled chicken, and ask for both their ranch and jalapeno vinaigrette salad dressings on the side. I pour a little of both on top. Yum! (Note: This salad is huge and the amount of chicken is very generous.) My son loves the steak nachos. Their homemade salsa is wonderful. And their sopapillas are a guilty pleasure. This is a restaurant that my family frequents.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Basically the only option is the Chile Relleno. All other foods are less than average. I had a coupon, so paid less than menu price. If I had to pay full price, probably would only have given it a "2".