“Always terrific”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

This is one of my favorite restaurants. The delicious items they serve are not only flavorful but beautiful works of art!

2  Thank Gloria L

Reviewed 26 January 2017

Stopped into this local place near the Capitol area for lunch today. I'm trying to do low carb, so I wanted to avoid the rice and noodle dishes which, I've heard, are quite good. I ordered edamame and a bowl of the chicken vegetable soup. The edamame was served hot and salted, and it was good.

The soup came, and it was downhill from there. Floating on the entire top was what looked like little white worms. I asked the server what it was and she said "tempura flakes." Yay.

I tried a spoonful of broth with a few flakes. Nope. I don't like soggy things, so I wound up spooning them all out onto the plate under the bowl.

I took a bite of the broth with some carrot and celery, and it tasted pretty good. Then, I took a bite with a piece of chicken, and it tasted pretty bad. The chicken was apparently previously grilled (being brown on both sides) and it was just very, very dry, even sitting in the broth.

On a brighter note, the wine was good and the server was pleasant and attentive. I may try it again someday when I'm back on carbs, but lunch was a bit of a downer.

Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Before I start about the food. Please beware that this place has a large glass front and easily can be mistaken as being an open concept. This guy walked right into the glass and knocked himself out. Really weird.
The food was ok. The teriyaki beef, vegetables and brown rice was good. My husband had the grilled chicken and shrimp fried rice and vegetables. The portions are a perfect size. Really liked the fresh ginger sauce really bumped up the flavor.
Great spot for college students.

Reviewed 4 October 2016

While at a conference at UT, a colleague suggested that we stop for some Japanese food for dinner. We all got some rice bowls with tempura veggies and shrimp. They were simple and fantastic. We also had their version of a mojito. The mint was super fresh and the drink was so refreshing in the warm Austin evening. The price point was very acceptable.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

This may not be a 5-star restaurant, but it's a solid 4-star. Everything (food, service, menu, location) is good, nothing bad that I've encountered.

This is a regular lunch spot for business (2-3 times a month, two dozen experiences total), and I've never had a bad lunch here. Only one dinner; was also good.

This part of town doesn't offer a lot for selection, particularly for Asian, so if you're in the neighborhood you should check it out.

The grilled Teppan is good; salads are also good. Nice spot for ice green tea in the summer.

Overall: recommend, and will continue going regularly.

9  Thank TwoinNYfromVTandTX