“Old-school bugers & rings”

Top Notch Restaurant
Ranked #350 of 3,833 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Fast food
Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

We visited for lunch and had the cheeseburger (#2). I had fries. He had frings (fries & onion rings). Burgers were thin and delicious, in the style of a good old-fashioned diner. Fries were skinny and crispy, but nothing special. The onion rings were better, and fried to perfection.

You can inside, where you order at the counter & they call your name for pickup, or you can park at menu boards outside and order/eat Sonic style. I recommend enjoying the retro vibe inside.

Next time, we'll be trying the fried chicken and fried pies.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

A Burnet Road fixture since I was a kid, Top Notch Hamburgers screams "Old School". Char Broiled Burgers, Fried Chicken, shrimp. THis place will delight you with tasty food, chill atmosphere, and special events like movie night or hot rod night. And the fact that it was the restaurant/ drive in used in the movie "Dazed and Confused" only adds to the legend surrounding this north Austin landmark. Truly one of my favorite places to go in Austin.

Reviewed 11 October 2016

It's hard to be the best at anything in a food cultured city like Austin, but Top Notch delivers. They use charcoal and it makes a huge difference. The vintage store front only adds to the taste. I think these burgers are easily the best in town, plus they have amazing fried chicken if you want to switch it up.

Reviewed 8 October 2016

Don't tell my doctor but - I am on a burger binge and on a quest to try all the local to-go burgers. There is no way this list is complete without a trip to Top Notch. The burger is inexpensive and good, it's hard to beat charbroiling for adding flavor to meat. The place is a local landmark, an old drive-in burger joint, they host antique car groups and other local events.
The burger was good (#4), the fries are meh but the rings were pretty good.
I would rather eat here than a chain on principle along but also because it's a better burger.

Reviewed 29 August 2016

I didn't pay for it and got there after everyone so I cannot attest to price or friendliness of staff. I do know that the regular cheeseburger that I ate was beyond amazing. The chicken tenders that the others had looked really good as well. Parking was difficult in a large truck but not a big deal.

Been to Top Notch Restaurant? Share your experiences!