“Japanese Delight”

Ranked #1,818 of 3,816 Restaurants in Austin
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Reviewed 3 February 2016

This was not a place I was aware of until we went there for lunch and it is around the corner from my office! The atmosphere was plain, simple. The dishes were ornately decorated with the food.

Reviewed 23 April 2015

I can only imagine that a competitor of Maru gave Maru one star. I know my sushi restaurants. I used to live on Chicago's Restaurant Row, which had the best sushi restaurant in Chicago. First, let's dispense with the quality of the food itself. PERFECT. Perfectly fresh, perfectly tasty, perfectly presented. Not only that, the portions of fish are quite generous. Second, let's address the ambience of this place. It's as if you were in Japan and walked into a a family restaurant there. A lovely older woman runs the show here and the Japanese stye hospitality and quiet elegance of her mannerisms is what puts this place over the top. No, this place is not Uchi or Uchiki, and it's the better for it. When I went to Uchiki, my waiter seemed horrified that I wanted a basic sushi or avocado maki. It reminds me of the film, My Dinner With Andre, where the bartender only had a special sparkling water instead of regular water. When my friends from out of town drop in, it's to this place we go.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I finally tried out this small neighborhood sushi bar after living here for 5 years. The service was amazing and genuinely warm. The food was excellent. Quality of the fish was superb. This is my new favorite local spot.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We recently stopped in for a late birthday celebration. It has been over a year and Maru holds its own. Maybe it was the new sake menu, but my husband and I felt complete bliss at coming back to Maru. We got miso soup, gyoza, dragon roll, shrimp crunch and the 3x3 sashimi platter. About halfway through the meal I noticed the specials and added baby octopus nigiri, which turned out to be Gunkanmaki style (thank you wikipedia). The sashimi platter was very generous, as we were expecting 3 pieces of each: yellowtail, salmon and tuna.

Dunno if it was the end of the night or what, but it was a lot of fish! the chef even arranged the cuts so the most delicate pieces were set-aside in an obvious way. My only "complaint" was that the tuna seemed a little cold, which I'm going to attribute to the time/day of our meal since they were not busy. An amazing spread!

The Gyoza were crunchy and delicious, soup was yummy, warm and came out lightning quick and the rolls were fun, delicious and generous. The crunchy shrimp was a little unwieldy but tasty. Oh, and the octopus? Excellent!!! Definitely an experience. I have had some really bad octopus sushi and my husband was skeptical but we both liked it. It seemed like it was marinated...eat these with your hand!

Did I mention the sake? Chilled, unfiltered in a little pink bottle...at $14.95 a perfect celebration to share on a weds night in an Austin summer. Our total bill was only $77, cheap for a sushi feast night! Free cheesecake bites for dessert! Enjoy!

Reviewed 17 May 2009

I live in the neighborhood and there's nothing better than strolling over with the family for a nice Japanese dinner. My son always gets the sushi dinner; I go for the chicken teriyaki dinner, which is deliciious and, with the miso soup, salad, and tempura vegetables, gives you plenty to eat. It's a small family-owned place, very quiet and relaxed. All around one of my favorite restaurants.