“FIne place for a delayed overnight”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town
Ranked #32 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We were booked here by our airline when our flight was canceled. Very friendly staff. Nice clean hotel. Near some restaurants open late. Seemed life a safe evening environment. Clean rooms. Towels a bit threadbare.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Hi cruiseagentandtaxman,

Thanks for your recent overnight, we're delighted to have hosted your stay. We consistently aim to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. That said, I'm pleased to know that our hospitable staff. clean rooms, and location left positive impressions. Your feedback is important and rest assured that your comment about the condition of our towels is shared with Housekeeping.

Thanks again for letting us know about your experience. I hope you find your way back to us when your plans bring you again to Alexandria.

Warmest Regards,

Jillian I

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I recently stayed at this hotel for a week and was very disappointed. The hotel is undergoing extensive refurbishment most of which appeared to happen at night. It caused a great deal of disruption. I was delivering a training program and was put in a partitioned off part of the ballroom. There were large events happening every day on the other side of the wall which were very loud and noisy.

Whilst my room was ok the beds were so high I struggled to get in. The refurbishment did not extend to the bathroom which was outdated and tired.

The food was not good with very limited choice at breakfast. Basically if you don't want scrambled eggs and bacon every day you are screwed. Lunches andcrefreshments provided lacked variety and inspiration and were invariably cold by the time they arrived. The delegates gave up eating lunch at the hotel and went out to buy their own. The staff in the restaurant with a couple of exceptions were rude and unhelpful.

Reception and conference staff were mostly friendly. All in all I can't say I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I think Holiday Inn as a brand need to up their game.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Hello Elaine Y,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Holiday Inn Alexandria - Old Town, VA. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment about front desk service.

However, on behalf of the hotel, I'm sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the renovation, food selection and the restaurant service. We will address these concerns. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We booked a king size room. However, when we arrived they had no king size beds left. They overbooked. The gentleman at the counter told me all they had left were double bed rooms. After a short conversation, the gentleman told me to take the room or move over so he could wait on the next customer. I didn't even get a sorry or here's what we can do for you until another gentleman there stepped in as he heard how his colleague was speaking to me. Very unprofessional. We never got the room we booked and held with our credit card. Would never stay there again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank swarnock24
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Hi swarnock24,

Thank you for your review and for staying at the hotel. I appreciate the kind remarks regarding the hospitality of our staff. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry to hear that you experienced inconvenience due to the level of service received during check in and I apologize for the type of room you received which was not the one you originally booked. I understand how frustrating these matters can be and I am sorry our hotel staff was not able to address this issue appropriately. As such, I have sent you a private message to ask more information regarding this unsatisfactory stay.

Your visit is valuable and I hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Zel N.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

This place has so much potential, but I am not sure if they can get their act together.
I will say that one of the front desk workers, Aaron, really stood out as phenomenal. He was very professional and we noticed him doing some extra things to help guests. He seemed to take pride in his work.

And for my other thoughts... Starting with the good:

-The rooms are very spacious and overall in great shape. I was shocked by how big the standard room was!

-The price was awesome. Very reasonable for the area.

-Decent location. Not right in the heart of Alexandria, but definitely close enough for a walk or cheap Uber.

-Much of the hotel was recently renovated and looks great modern and great.

-Everything related to the room was very clean

And then the not so good...

-Parts of the hotel was still under renovation which was not apparent when booking on a third party site. As a result the hot tub was closed, and part of the lobby area was closed off. That can be forgiven.

-The breakfast was a JOKE. The selection was very weak and it tasted horrible (I had to spit out a piece of French toast because it was completely unchewable. It took 15 mins for a server to get us drinks and another 7 mins for basics like salt and creamer. The Plate I grabbed from the buffet line was dirty, as was a coffee cup on our tables. I would have been disappointed if it were free but I am disgusted by the fact with a basic tip, it was $40 for three of us.

-some other staff members weren't helpful. The restaurant workers were incredibly confused and flustered which made them ineffective. When trying to talk to someone at the front desk about it, she was dismissive and offered no solution or apology. She just told us that breakfast wasn't included in our reservation. I also witnessed her being short and rude to a coworker.

-There were a few small things that left us frustrated too. Like why refresh the kcups but not provide new cups or fixins? And one of the great things I love about hotels are blackout curtains, which this room lacked.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank haley119ann
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Hi haley119ann,

Thanks for your time in posting a thorough review about your experience at our hotel and for staying with us. Your comments are very helpful as our goal has always been to provide our guests with the best accommodation and hospitality service. I'm sorry to learn that the staff service, renovation and dining experience you had during breakfast was a letdown. I will make sure to share all your feedback with the restaurant management and the whole team for retraining. I assure you that they will look into the areas for improvements. Your review will also remain on corporate file for the periodic review of our property.

On a positive note, thanks you for mentioning our wonderful rooms and hotel location. Aaron will be delighted to know about the great service he has provided.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We would be honored to host your stay in the future and provide you a more noteworthy hotel experience.

Regards,

Zel N.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

I travel to Virginia for work a lot since our HQ are right by the Holiday Inn. I decided to stay here for a couple of days before our meetings started. The staff were extremely friendly and kind. Checkin was easy and quick. The rooms are basic and clean.. when I got back home I realized I'd been charged an additional $250. I wrote to them to inquire and when they finally got back to me 3 weeks later I was told it's because I smoked in the room! I was shocked!!! I travel all over the world for work and I've stayed in more hotels than I care to count and I've never ever smoked in a hotel room, whether it was smoking or non smoking.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them on a solution.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Dear amz_rizzy,

We appreciate you for sharing your review about your recent stay.

We are very sorry that you did not experience an exemplary hotel stay because of the level of service your have received.I apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced. I have sent you a private message to reaffirm my apologies.

I very much hope that you will grant us the opportunity to prove ourselves again.

Best Regards,