“Reasonable Stay for business”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Recently stayed here for a business meeting over several days. The rooms are fairly updated with all of the usual amenities for a mid-range hotel. The front lobby entrance is under construction, but not a major issue. The hotel shuttle runs every 30 minutes between DCA and the hotel and back, so that is very helpful. The nearest Metro station is Braddock Road (blue/yellow lines), about .9 miles away, so a good walk or a short taxi/Uber ride so you can take the Metro anywhere from there. There are several decent restaurants within 3-5 block walking distance from hotel, all decent priced and good variety (pub, cafe, Thai, Italian, Japanese steakhouse, and a decent priced breakfast/lunch joint). Parking is a bit problematic and is expensive ($20 per night), though, so don't bring your car if you want to save time/money. Overall: decent, clean stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are a bit quieter and peaceful.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Marilyn G, Assistant Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

clb55d2,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad to see that you found our location convenient and that you enjoyed some of our local restaurants. While it is true that we do charge for parking we are actually on the lower side as the other hotels in the area charge as well. We hope to see you back should your travels bring you back to Alexandria.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Location (3/5): Located in the old town area, but the hotel is situated a bit off from the main attractions. You don't have a lot of restaurants or cafe in the area. I walked 10-15 mins to the closest Starbucks in the morning. The hotel does provide the shuttle to the King Street and the airport which is a plus and compensate part of its disadvantages

Service (3/5): In my experience it was fair. Nothing stood out particularly. The time spent on checking in and out is fair. But I can tell if there are multiple parties arriving the same time could cause a bit of a slow down and traffic. That's on IHG to allow customers to check in and out using their mobile devices in the future (Like Hilton and Marriott). But until then...

Room (3/5): I am ok with decor. It's a modernized palette but that's about it. Everything else works fine. The bed is pretty comfortable, the pillows weren't as good (firm) as I expected. Overall the room is pretty spacious which I appreciate. The bathroom is also spacious, the amenities are the standard Bath and Body Work brand items

Bar/Restaurant (1/5): I am not sure whether it's the lighting or the setup. The location and presentation of the bar seem very odd to me. I had no motivations to visit

I had stayed in other hotels in the area. If you have to compare the hotels within the same class in the same area. There are however better options

Room Tip: While you don't want to stay too close from the elevator, getting put too far could result to qu...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

DforDan,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Your experience is important to us. Your feedback will allow us to better understand where we need to work so that we can better serve our guest. Again, we thank you for your comment and hope to have you back.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

Clean rooms and comfortable beds. The staff were all friendly and helpful. My only big complaint was there were two or three huge parties at the hotel so they kept the front staff busy, the breakfast lines long and the relaxing areas anything but. Coming in from a long day and just wanting a soda, the little marketplace was jammed packed with kids from a school tour.......overwhelming the two gentlemen trying to check people in. So, forget the the drink as the vending machine on our floor ate my money. The other downside was there really is nothing within walking distance. We did utilize the shuttle to and from the airport with was timely and driver was courteous.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Hi Arthur H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. While we appreciate your generous individual ratings and kind regards toward our property's overall cleanliness and level of service rendered by our hotel staff members, I am truly sorry for the inefficient crowd control during your stay. Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Rest assured, we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide a wonderful stay. I have faith in our hotel that they will continue to do their best to improve our amenities and services.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. I truly hope that we will have a chance to make it up to you and provide you with a better stay in the future.

Alvin M.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This was without a doubt the worst stay at any hotel in my entire life. To start off we arrived around 4 o’clock and the entranceway to the hotel was blocked with maintenance equipment with no place to park out front. There were no signs as to where to go or anyone to assist with check-in. We drove around the hotel a couple of times before we found a place to park. Went in and stated the problem we’d just encountered and was told in a matter of fact way, “oh well”.

We went to the room and my wife used the bathroom; and the toilet didn’t flush. Went to the front desk to tell them they needed maintenance to fix the toilet and was offered a different room. Went to the new room and it only had one queen bed although we had reserve two and the first room had two. Went back to the desk, and was moved again to a room with two queen beds.

This room had no water at all. Went back to the front desk and was told the water would just be out for 10 minutes. I called the front desk 30 minutes later and was told it would be back on in 15 minutes. I called back in 16 minutes and was told it would be out for at least another hour. If they would have told me the water was out to begin with I never would have had to change rooms in the first place.

I ended up on the 4th floor, next to the elevator and across the street from a large construction site. My preferences are the ground floor, away from the elevator and quiet. Why do you ask for preferences if none of them are honored? They called the room at 9:30 that night and asked who I was. I guess they had moved me so many times that they lost me in the computer. The manager tried to make things right but this never should have happened in the first place.

Decided to order room service the next morning since the construction had awakened us. The recording said they were not available, please leave a message and they would get back to us, which we did. Breakfast never showed up. That night the two rooms next to us were occupied by loud parties. After 2 ½ hours of this we finally called the front desk at 11:45 and someone came up and told them to be quiet. They left only to return at @ 2 AM and started banging on the wall. After two disconcerting nights we left the next morning tired and upset.

On another subject I had to pay $20 a night to park. I think that is a type of age discrimination. The young folks can drive around, find a place to park and walk to the hotel but us old folks want to be close to the door.

Room Tip: Away from the street, construction across from the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

Hi John M,

Thank your review and for staying with us. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would like to address this with you further and have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Again, thank you for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D

Reviewed 5 October 2017

We were traveling with a group of seventeen and stayed there six nights. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning and it was just OK. Had eggs that some mornings were pretty good, other mornings not so good. If you wanted a hot pancake or waffle you had to run it through the toaster. The room cleaner didn't know the difference between regular and decaf. She new black and brown, so I had to catch her to get regular coffee. The room would have been OK, except two different time I found long black hair. Once on the bed and once on the floor of the bathroom. I wasn't searching, but it really stood out on the white bed and bathroom floor. Bath or coffee supplies weren't replaced daily, had to catch the cleaner and get coffee. It did have a couple nice places to eat within walking distance. I expected more from Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Alexandria - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Hi KCMJR,

Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your experience at our property. We rely on guest feedback as this will allow us to improve wherever possible. I regret to read that your stay at our property was only average. I am sorry for the inconsistencies at the food served and also regret the service let down from our hotel staff, especially from our housekeeping. Please know that this is not reflective of IHG's high standards. Your comments are noted and will be shared with our management team to review the procedures we have in place and make necessary improvements accordingly.

Again, thank you for your comments and for choosing us for your lodging needs.

Ingrid V.