Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir
Ranked #25 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Free breakfast, free parking, free in-room WiFi, awesome front desk staff, shuttle to the metro......all of those things make this place great. For the picky people out there, there are some pulls in the carpet, chips in the decor, etc. A hotel is primarily a place for me to sleep and keep my things, and the amenities and friendly staff outweigh the minor cosmetic defects.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Freddie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good Morning, MKGrady! First, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay here, at the Holiday Inn Express Alexandria-Fort Belvoir! Secondly, thank you for taking your time to let us know how about your stay experience. I am very pleased to hear that you did enjoy our amenities as well as the service provided by the staff at our location despite some minor issues. I have shared your compliments and concerns with up level management and believe we can quickly rectify the concerns that were addressed. Thank you again for staying with us!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We spent one night at this hotel before taking the Auto Train the next day. It is conveniently located just 20 minutes from the AmTrak station. Our room was clean and quiet. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We traveled with two high end bicycles that we did not want to leave on our car bike rack and the crew on duty gave us no trouble with letting us store them in our room. After a long day's drive, we took advantage of the large whirlpool downstairs next to the exercise room for some serious relaxation
We enjoyed the generous breakfast, which included cold or hot cereal, yogurt, soy milk, plenty of fruit and, if you are really hungry, pancakes and pastries..
In the morning, we wanted to spend a little time in Old Town Alexandria. Freddie at the front desk arranged a shuttle to the nearby metro station. When we returned to the station earlier than expected, he sent the shuttle right over to fetch us. Thanks, Freddie!
Had everything we needed at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Go for the 3rd floor. The first floor is actually below grade.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Freddie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Good Afternoon!
Thank you very much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your experience! You and your wife were such a pleasure to have in house with us and I greatly enjoyed the conversation. Hopefully, we will see you again the next time you decide to pass through! Enjoy your travels!

Kindly,

Freddie- FOM

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The staff was very nice and the breakfast was good.

However, when we tried to take the shuttle to the metro station, they told us it would not be going for another hour and half.. not what we were told when we called and asked before booking.

The last night the room next to us was incredibly loud and we could hear the TV and conversations until almost 1 in the morning! Paper thin walls. This hotel is also on the side of a very busy road and if you get a room on that side it's very noisy all night.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Good Afternoon EAITraveler! Thank you for taking your time out to leave us a survey about your recent stay experience. I am very happy to hear that you did enjoy the level of service from our staff and the breakfast choices that we offer. I would like to apologize about the misinformation regarding the shuttle service and would also like to let you know that we are working on remedying the lapse in service times with a schedule that is more conducive to what our guests seek to achieve during their travel and stay with us. You also made a very valid point about the construction of the building. We do not receive many noise complaints on the property, however, we do have a zero tolerance policy. I am very sorry that you had to endure a higher noise level until 1 AM, that is completely unacceptable. I would like to remedy the situation for you, at any time please feel free to reach out to me at the property level so that we can make that right for you! I look forward to hearing from you soon! Thank you again,

Freddie-FOM

Reviewed 19 October 2017

This was definitely not our best HIE experience. We were given a room on the lower level or as I like to refer to it as the”dungeon”. There was an overpowering odor of perfumed air freshener, and my husband swore it was covering up a sewer type odor. We stayed for 3 nights and every morning at 5:30 we were awakened by the sound of wheels be rolled across a hard surfaced floor! The refrigerator was noisy. The finish on the tub was peeling. We used their shuttle service to take us to the Metro and was told to call when we returned and they would pick us up. We are not from the area and were not aware that there are two levels to the Metro station. We called on our return and waited an hour and a half to be picked up. After several phone calls to the main desk, we were told that we should have been on the lower level instead of the upper level. When we returned to our room, neither of our room keys would work. We had to trek back up to the desk and have them re-program our keys. There was no explanation or apology. After our first night, we received a note under our door stating our credit card didn’t go through. We called our credit card company, they said that no attempt had been made to process our card by the hotel! We stopped by the desk and was told there was a problem with the expiration date. Our card doesn’t expire for 5 years! The next time we plan a trip to the DC area, we will stay someplace else!

Room Tip: Don’t get a room in the basement
Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Freddie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2017

Good Morning Mrs. Janet,

Thank you for taking time out to leave a survey and detail your experience with us! I hadn't realized that you had such a difficult time and experience with us, I would like to apologize sincerely and I know that there are no words that I can say that will take that experience away but I do appreciate you sharing that and giving us the opportunity to work on operational opportunities. You and your husband were a pleasure to deal with, and if you are ever in town please reach out to me at the property level, I would love the opportunity to make that right for you.

Thank you again!

Freddie- Front Office Manager

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We stayed at this facility for two nights. As others have said, the hotel is fairly clean. One of the front desk managers Nancy was extremely accommodating when we checked in. From their it kind of went south. They had another young lady working the front desk after Nancy was off. She was definitely new and did not seem to be the type of person who should hold that type of a position. She did not seem to have a people type of personality. We went to the metro for the first time and was suppose to call upon our arrival back from the metro so we could get a ride from their supplied transportation. That turned out to be a nightmare with this person. Without going into a lot of detail we ended up waiting for almost an hour for a driver due to this person. The ride is about a 5 minute ride from the hotel. This was later in the evening and we had to sit in a secluded dark area and did not feel comfortable. She was not accommodating at all. The second night after returning from Old Town we encountered the same type of situation with the same person. Again, I do not want to go into a lot of detail. It was not pleasant. When we arrived back to the hotel and went to our room, the room was never cleaned or made up. No one was there to do room service. I spoke with the manager at the time and explain to him Jim, about our transportation and that the room was never cleaned or made up. He was extremely concerned and helpful. He himself had to clean our room and make up the bed for us to go to sleep. He apologized about the young lady and told us he would have a very strong conversation with her. He accommodated us with extra points for the very bad experience we encountered.

Room Tip: Check your room before you sign in
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Freddie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alexandria-Fort Belvoir, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Good Afternoon Mr. Laskin,

Firstly, I would like to apologize again for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us! In no way do we condone the level of service that you experienced during your stay with us and I am very happy that you brought those opportunities to my attention and would like to thank you for having given me a chance to rectify them, as well as provide the young lady with a valuable learning opportunity. Thank you for your business and I look forward to seeing you and your wife again!

Kindly,