“Restful and Pleasant”

Hilton Alexandria Old Town
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 23 September 2017

Great hostel... excellent service in the front desk and restaurant. Convenient for commuters. Access to electric trolley and Metro even bus stop. Value for money. Many places to eat and shop along King street.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Florian K, General Manager at Hilton Alexandria Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Hello Cricketteabello,

I do love your call-sign. Thank you for the wonderful review and for the recommendation to fellow travelers. One of the reasons many of our guests choose us is our central location between Old Town Alexandria and our Nation's Capital. Safe travels until we see you next time.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We need to thank the newlyweds who chose this hotel for their wedding guests. The location is extremely close to the train, so getting around in Old Town Alexandria and in DC was very easy. Our room was immaculate, elevators quick; staff, wonderful. We would definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear LTor,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to complete an online review about your experience at Hilton Alexandria Old Town. We are glad that our location and staff exceeded your expectation. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to host you during your recent visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best,

Reviewed 20 September 2017

We stayed here for 6 nights while being tourists in the DC area. Don't really have anything negative to say. We had a roomy Jr. Suite which was dark and quiet in the mornings even though it faced Richmond Rd. (highway 1). Breakfast was served until 10, so we could sleep in if we wished and was the usual Hampton fare plus a little, like chives in the eggs. A maintenance request for a non-working lamp was fixed promptly. The shuttle service to the Huntington Rd. metro and Old Town Alexandria was prompt and very convenient and one of the drivers, Sharif, was an exceptionally pleasant gent. We recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear David B,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to complete an online review about your experience at Hilton Alexandria Old Town. We thrive on exceeding expectations. We are glad we exceeded yours. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to host you during your recent visit. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours,

Reviewed 19 September 2017

I booked for a stay for 5 nights beginning 9/10/2017 for business (government). My wife traveled with me so she could see the sites while I attended training meetings thru the week. Our plan was to stay through Thursday night and leave on 9/15 so we wouldn't have to deal with evening traffic around DC. As luck would have it, when I arrived at the training meetings on Thursday morning, we were told we would be finishing up quite early. I called my wife and asked if she'd check us out and we could leave before the worst of the Thursday evening traffic hit. Bonus, since we were driving down to Chesapeake, VA.

She called me around noon and stated the hotel was charging us for Thursday night since they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. She asked to speak to a manager, and was cut pretty short with the same stiff response, no leeway, no consideration, no question as to why we might be leaving early. Was there a death/sickness in the family? Have your business/personal plans changed? Is it something wrong with your room, atmosphere? Nothing. Give us your money, and goodbye!

I submitted a request on Hilton's website asking them to reconsider the charge and have it credited back to my credit card, and specifically requested that I be contacted by phone (providing my cell phone #) to discuss the decision and my situation/reason for departing earlier than planned if they were going to decide against reimbursement.
I received an email the next morning that they'd review the request and respond within 72 business hours.

Today, 9/18, I had not yet heard anything, and I knew I was still a bit short of the 72 hours, but decided to leave a review on Hilton's Facebook page. I received an immediate reply there to my review. At about the same time, I received an email response from my Hilton website submission stating, "Recently you contacted Hilton with your comments regarding your stay at the Hilton Hotels Alexandria-Old Town, VA. We’re happy to see that we have been in touch with you and resolved your concerns..."

They had NOT been in touch with me to address and/or resolve my concerns. I had heard nothing from them at the time I received the email stating they had. Right around this time, Hilton responded to my Facebook review and stated the decision was made that they were sticking by their cancellation policy and no credit back to my card would be made. This was without contacting me to discuss anything, even though I had made it clear in my initial submission that I wanted them to contact me by phone if this were going to be the case.

Very nice, Hilton, posting your decision on a public forum. Actually, not bad since it confirmed what I had posted in my review on their Facebook page. But, I would have GREATLY APPRECIATED direct contact, especially since that's what I requested.

I was on government travel, and could have stayed the final night, but it would have been to do nothing more than sit in the hotel at the government's expense. Had I have known our training meeting would have finished as early as it did, I would have been more than happy to have provided advanced notice, but this was unknown to me until the morning of the 14th.

At the least, they should have asked why I was not staying the final night.

Although they do have a cancellation policy, I did stay 4 of the 5 nights planned, and would have assumed there would have been some consideration of circumstances surrounding my early departure. Kind of hard to consider the circumstances when no concern is shown or questions asked as to why, which I did address in my initial submission to Hilton on their website form I filled in.

It's always been my understanding that a cancellation policy was directed more towards no-shows than people that may have depart earlier than expected/planned. I guess Hilton's policy is to take the money where you can get the money, no considerations of anything else.

I'd also be very interested to know if the hotel was fully booked? If it was not fully booked with multiple rooms open, then it wasn't a case of not being able to book another "body" into the room, and just a case of refusing to provide consideration of possible changing customer circumstances.

I do travel quite consierably, more for personal than business, and even more so in 2 years time. With the lack of consideration, posting the resolution to my request on a public forum, and ZERO contact with me as I requested in my initial submission of the issue, I can say Hilton and all of their affiliates will not see any of my business or dollars again, be it business travel or personal. I will also be sure to regularly provide this information to any and everyone I come across that is considering travel accommodation in the future. I have never, in my 51 years, been so completely disgusted with a business the size/reputation (laughable) and it's inconsiderate attitude towards its customer.

Stay if you wish, but lets hope you don't have something that changes your plans that cause you to depart early. You'll pay for it.....literally.

Room Tip: Find a hotel not affiliated with Hilton.
Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank arbucklemw

Dear Arbucklemw,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review about your experience. We strive to provide the best service. I am truly sorry to hear that your experience was not one of them. Please note an early departure fee applies when a booking is shortened after the cancellation deadline. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future so we can regain your confidence and goodwill.

Most hospitably yours,

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Very friendly staff, easy access to and from Metro and bus. Room was clean and very quiet. Would stay here again for business, easy access to Reagan International Airport by Metro. Digital key a little glitchy and Premium WiFi never worked, but overall no problems.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank P8802KQheatherh

Dear P8802KQheatherh,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to complete an online review about your experience at Hilton Alexandria Old Town. We are glad to hear that you had a very comfortable stay. We hope that you will think of us during your next visit.

Yours in service,