“Easy access to the Metro and Starbucks”

Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Nice hotel within easy walking distance of the Metro. The information packet had outdated information so when I dialed room service, it didn't go through. Called the front desk and they put me through. Food was okay but since they were busy the tray sat outside my door until the next day. Guest laundry was clean and worked well.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
GMCarlyleVA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Dear Lorna B
Thanks for staying with us and for compiling this review about our services. We have noted your recommendations and will make edits as needed to our guest information folder. We're confident that your future stays will continue to be a pleasurable experience and we will continue to make improvements where necessary.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. I have stayed at holiday inns in the past but this location was great & next door to metro. Very convenient instead of driving to downtown DC. Loved king street shops 1 stop up on metro.

Hotel service was great, rooms clean and nice breakfast! Also a fab Mediterranean restaurant across the street!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
GMCarlyleVA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Good day Motwo24,
We are very pleased to learn of your comfortable stay with us and thank you for your business. Please share your experience with friends and family and come back to see us whenever your travel plans brings you back to this area.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

The hotel is conveniently located within a walking distance to restaurants and a movie theater, this was the main attraction for me, along with the buffet breakfast, which was included. There were traditional scramled eggs, Bacon, sausage, apples, oranges, pastry and yogurt. The breakfast was very nice and the service was great.
I was underwhelmed with the room. I heard that the hotel had renovations, however the bath tub in my room had some marks, the electric socket was crooked, the panels on the ceiling in the bathroom weren't aligned properly, the air conditioning was quite loud. Little things, but...
The shower wasn't working properly and on my first day they were issues with the refrigerator which was too loud. I should say though that the staff at the front desk is wonderful- very responsive, as everything was promptly fixed, along with the nonworking safe. Additionally, the walls in the adjacent rooms need extra isolation, as I could hear my neighbor sneezing.
I enjoyed the gym, which had some basic weights and cardio equipment, along with a water dispensers. Don't count on doing the laps in the pool though, as it has a divider in the middle which cannot be lifted, if they are people inside. The pool is great only for kids or people waddling. The pool is very clean and well-maintained.
The dinner at the restaurant was a big disappointment. The sirloin steak salad for $17.50 and was not what I expected, it tasted more like a salad from a bag with non-seasoned tasteless pieces of cut meat. Some of the tomatoes were not good. Felt like a rip-off for the price. You would be better off going to a restaurant nearby (a Greek place not too far away by Starbucks was great )and paying about the same price or less for a much better quality food.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-adjacent room, as the adjacent ones have poor sound isolation
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Hello tatiana m,
Thanks for staying with us and most of all for your feedback about your experience. My team and I have reviewed your comments in detail and have used it as a development tool to further enhance our service delivery goals.

We thank you for your business and hope to see you on your return visit to the area.

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Stayed here three nights and it was pleasant. The room was clean, and the staff at check-in were very polite. The building is old, so everything reflects that. The elevators worked as they should, but they have that '60s or '70's look. The lobby is clean, but has the feel of a hotel built 40-plus years ago.
The room was clean, the bed was great, and the A/C worked as it should, but the bathroom was a bit lacking. The ceiling was very low as compared to modern standards, and the wall paper was beginning to lift at some of the seams. The bathroom is also small. Only one person can fit at a time.
I had a room on the beltway side, and though I could slightly hear the traffic, it was hardly noticeable and did not keep from falling asleep.
The room had a small frig., safe and a microwave oven.
The fitness room was small, but better than most for a place like this. There were four cardio machines, a bench for weight lifting, and dumbbells from 10 up to 50 pounds.

Room Tip: If sensitive to noise, ask for a room that is not on the beltway side.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Hello brettmI2598CL,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and observations with the TripAdvisor public. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Issue #1 - checked in on July 5th. Went to work on July 6th and returned to my room that evening to discover personal belongings stolen. Reported incident to food and beverage manager (only manager who seems to ever be available or care about the issue - she followed up on July 7th and provided complimentary appetizer and free beverage from the bar for the delay in resolution. She followed up again on the morning of the 9th as well) As of 7 p.m. July 10th, still no action or contact from hotel Director of Operations as promised. I've been patient and understanding to allow time for the hotel managers to investigate and resolve the matter. They clearly aren't going to. If not for the failure for upper hotel management to act on the issue, I'd rate at 4 stars.

Issue #2 - July 7th, Im in my room on getting settled for the evening when in walks a family of 4! They were given keys to my room. Good thing I was dressed. Those poor children my have been scarred for life...

Issue #3 - the wait staff in the restaurant leave much to be desired and the food is just ok - it gets the job done. They should also consider clearing some of the clutter off the tables. Its a bit much to deal with when sitting down...oh and Im still not sure if there is a host who seats you or if you just seat your self. Its a bit confusing and unorganized. I want to also give credit where it's due - the bartender is exceptional! Great personality and friendly.

The good - hotel is in a great location. It's a safe neighborhood with easy access to the metro, restaurants, and interstate and FREE parking! It's clean and the rooms are spacious and the hotel offers nice amneties like a pool and excercise room. It also has a nice courtyard area to relax on a nice evening.
From my experience, I get the impression they may need to work some staffing kinks out and they'll be right on track.

Lock ALL your stuff up and you've found a great place to stay...its a shame I couldn't write a better review.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria at Carlyle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Hi Michael S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel. While we are pleased that our location served its purpose for your travel needs, it is disheartening to learn about the level of service you have experienced during your stay including your claims of having lost some item/s. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in detail so we have sent you a private message in order to obtain additional information regarding your concerns.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to hear back from you soon and be of further assistance.

Alvin M.