“Enjoyed Our Stay”

The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

I recently spent two nights at the hotel to attend a wedding. Accommodations were very nice ... clean, comfortable rooms and friendly staff. Excellent location as you are within walking distance of the water and the many restaurants on King Street.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This hotel used to be the Monaco and part of the Kimpton group but has been rebranded as The Alexandrian and become part of Marriott's Autograph Collection. I felt that when I stayed it was still transitioning. It had lost the edgy Kimpton feel and many of the benefits associated with this brand, but just didn't feel that it had made it as a stand alone hotel.

I did like the location and loved Alexandra as a town.

I felt the room was just average. I had one over looking the front of the building but it just seems dark and gloomy.

Front desk staff always chatty and helpful. Door men seemed to prefer standing there chatting amongst themselves or with friends rather than help guests with luggage or opening the door. Not sure why they were there as no purpose served.

I tried to eat in the restaurant one morning but as I arrived on the dot of opening (at 7am) the one staff member rooming said that they were not quite ready and for me to return in 10 minutes. I found this strange as if you advertise to open at a certain time I feel you should. If by chance you are not set up and ready then could you not at least just tell the customer to be seated and either just bring over coffee or say you will be with them in a few moments. I left and ate outside the hotel and did not bother to return. There are lots of nice breakfast places nearby.

Rating awarded more for the location and front desk staff than anything else.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Tim M, Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Dear Travel_Undercover,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Alexandrian, Autograph Collection.

We appreciate your feedback. We take great pride in not only meeting but exceeding your expectations.

Your feedback is integral to our ability to continue to improve our service. Thank you again for your time and we hope we get a chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights due to a work conference. The hotel is very nice and in good condition, the rooms are spacious and well appointed.

Hotel bar is very expensive and was $10 for an IPA and appeared more expensive than other bars in the town.

Breakfast is good, although service varies depending on who serves you. We were a large group and it was clear that one person knew how to serve a large group but on other days service struggled. With us having to request more coffee and orange juice, on one day service took an hour and we were the first in for breakfast.

I would stay there again, but would drink elsewhere. There is also no coffee making facilities in the room.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Rogerstone-Newport

Dear Rogerstone-Newport,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. I am sorry to learn of the varying level of service in the restaurant during your stay, as we strive to deliver consistent flawless guest experience. We are working with the team to ensure all of our servers know to cater to larger parties. We do offer a very competitive happy hour 5 days a week. We hope that whether business or pleasure brings you back to the Alexandria area we get a chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Just recently stayed overnight at the Alexandrian hotel and the room was beautiful and the bed was super comfortable. The hotel was pet friendly so I got to see a variety of dogs. This was nice. The bathroom was also very nice and very updated.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

On arrival, bellman said that our car (Volvo wagon with a basic luggage rack) was too tall for the 6 foot three clearance parking garage and that we would need to park on the street and feed the meter.

I had a follow up question and he told me that I had not let him finish. I love being scolded by bellmen. Not

Good news is that I wouldn't need to feed the meter after 9:00 until 8:00 the next morning!!!

Yeah!

I have since checked the website which made no mention that cars with a luggage rack were unwelcome / forbidden.

Inside, I proceeded to cancel the reservation which was accepted with no fee.

But she clarified that I was "unwilling" to remove my roof rack for the night. Jeepers!!

Well, they cancelled with no penalty but a particularly bad experience after a long drive.

Not a typical Marriott experience.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Tim M, Manager at The Alexandrian, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Dear jim19034,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts in regards to your arrival experience at the Alexandrian, Autograph Collection.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal. Please accept our sincere apology for not being clearer about our garage height and for the way in which you were treated by the staff regarding this issue. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this was an isolated issue that is corrected moving forward.

We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Alexandria.

Tim Marleau