“Go Somewhere Else”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This could have been a real charmer of a hotel. Instead, it is mediocre. I can't stand hotels that charge you for Internet and don't have genuinely soft pillows and instead use synthetic ones. It's the small things that make a stay special. The food was OK. Nothing outstanding. The check-in took way too long and I did not want a bellhop to carry my daypack to my room for the tip. I did go solo, but did not like being asked the question with him standing there with obviously little to no luggage. No views other than the brick walls of other buildings. I do not recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Tim M, Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Globaljoan ,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Morrison House.

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the time it took to check you in and for the bellhop asking to help you with your bag. We do charge for internet at the hotel, however as a Marriott Rewards member booking through Marriott's website, internet is always complimentary. If you ware not a rewards member we would be happy to sign you up the next time you visit our property. We have shared your feedback with the hotel team and appreciate your time writing the review.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Alexandria.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

Close to King Street. Upscale place in historical setting. Valet Benjamin went above and beyond to make our arrival and departure convenient. Great breakfast. Interesting bar with liquor bottle lights.
Would stay here again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

The Morrison House has a fantastic location in Old Town, a stone's throw from King Street, and that's just the beginning. The staff goes beyond what you'd expect from a hotel of this caliber, they are delightful to converse with. From concierge recommendations to the valet service, the Morrison House had us covered.
Our room was tastefully appointed, and my daughter enjoyed the mints left with the turndown service.

Definitely, we'll return to the Morrison House!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank David W
Reviewed 6 August 2017

We had a wonderful one night stay at Morrison House. Every employee we encountered was so nice, polite, and helpful. It's a small hotel and the service was impeccable-we were treated like VIPs. The location was convenient for walking around Old Town and it was a short uber drive to The Birchmere Concert Hall. Decor was beautiful and the room, while not large, was very comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017

I spent 3 fantastic nights at the Morrison from July 21-24 and it was the best hotel stay I have had in years. It's a real gem of a hotel with fantastic service (special shout out to Ashley behind the desk and Sam out front!).

Myself and a friend were in town for a quick vacation to DC. This was my 14th trip to DC and my first time staying outside the city and I will never stay in the city again. The Old Town has it all! We arrived at the hotel before 11AM (check-in is at 3PM) so our rooms weren't quite ready. Ashley had the prep expedited while we popped out for lunch. when we got back a little after noon my room was ready but my friend had to wait another 10 minutes. The room was beautiful, well appointed and very clean. The bathroom was reasonably sized, the tv well placed with a lot of channels but the bed, King Sized, was just the best....sooooooooooo comfortable!! There was also a clock radio which seem to be disappearing but I still enjoy :)

On the things most folk look for: the linens were fresh, clean and soft; the water pressure was very good and there was ample hot water; the room and lobby were spotless; the room was quiet; there is a complementary shuttle to Reagan. There was no real view but that was fine, being set back from the main street helped with the piece and quiet.

The hotel is also in a great location, about halfways between the subway stop and the waterfront and within easy walking distance of all that the Old Town has to offer. It makes a great base camp for exploring the Old Town AND for DC itself. Additionally, the hotel bar is pretty simple but with a friendly bartendress the couple of times we stopped off for a few games of cribbage and a couple of drinks was very enjoyable.

The only issue I would have is with the food. Granted we only had one meal, a breakfast, at the hotel but it was very mediocre compared to how amazing the rest of the place was. The ham in partcular was EXTREMELY salty, almost inedible. My friend couldn't finish his but I diced mine up with the egg and potatoe and finished it.

Some other little touches: fresh coffee in the lobby in the morning; fresh apples for a munch; the most refreshing cucumber and mint water in the lobby; great wi-fi!

My friend was also equally impressed by his room.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends