“Authentic Peruvian Pollo a la brasa”
Review of El Pollo Rico

El Pollo Rico
Ranked #3 of 954 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mexican, Peruvian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 18 August 2016

I lived in Peru for 4 years and this is the closest I've encountered to authentic pollo a la brasa--the sides are exactly as they would come in Peru and if you grab an Inca cola it's almost like being there. Even the Styrofoam and cramped tables are exactly as you would find!

There's usually a line but it moves fast. Get some aji too...

1  Thank Sara M

Reviewed 16 August 2016

As I wrote for Crisp and Juicy, I look for 3 things from a Peruvian chicken place:
Chicken, sauce, sides with ratings weighted towards the chicken… because it’s a chicken place.
The chicken is pretty good. 4 star in its category. I wouldn’t rank it #1 in Arlington, but certainly top 5 of the 15+ places I’ve tried. Again, it’s hard to compare when chicken is cooked and in a warming container instead of immediately cut and served off of the rotisserie.
The sides are few and absolutely not authentic. Rice, fries, and slaw? Really? And steak fries really have to be fresh to be worthwhile. I reheated mine at the house. I was shocked at the lack of variety was semi prepared after reading some reviews. Maybe this isn’t really a Peruvian place but simply American rotisserie, however the name of the place would have me fooled.
The sauces are fine but not memorable.
All-in-all, this place is the closet to my house, and I’ve only been twice (and have dined Peruvian 100+ times). I think many reviewers have had their first Peruvian experience here because of local name recognition, and haven’t tried all of the amazing Peruvian chicken places Arlington has to offer. If they had, El Pollo Rico would be somewhere in the above average range for chicken and well below average for sides.

2  Thank Terpshooters
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

The chicken is out of this world. We were at the door then they opened at 11am and there was already a small gathering waiting for the doors to open. Within 20 minutes half of the restaurant was filled.
The decor is very bare bones but the food absolutely make up for it.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

This spot was recommended by a coworker as a place to taste some great peruvian style chicken. Upon arrival, didn't notice anything exceptional. Routine menu, been to a few spots like this before. I did notice a great half chicken special however, well priced; so I ordered it. The plate looked impressive. A nice big piece of well roasted chicken was delivered to my plate. Then I strolled through a buffet style line that featured numerous tasty looking sides to include rice dishes, bean dishes, steak cut french fries,corn on the cob, coleslaw and vegetables. I chose the beans and rice. My dark meat chicken was well prepared, I especially liked the skin! So tasty and a little spicy, just the way I like. The meat fell off the bone and was cooked through. The beans and rice also hit the spot. The atmosphere was busy as it appeared this was a popular place with the locals. The staff was essentially friendly, a little difficulty understanding what they were saying however, they spoke quickly and a few did not appear to speak english very well, but they were still accommodating. The dinning room was generally clean considering how many customers were eating. I also noticed how large the servings were. Definitely a place to check out when you are hungry. I would go back for lunch if in the area.

Reviewed 7 August 2016

In an era of ever more elaborate meals and exorbitant prices, I settle for no frills community experience every time. I used to do lunch here when I worked at FDIC but it turned into a once or twice a month ritual before evolving into a full blown addiction.
I have had Peruvian Chicken before but never this flavorful. I do not know if it is marinated overnight or what but what is on the plate is manna from heaven. My doctor warned me to dispense of the skin and even following orders does not diminish chicken this good. The mild sauce is to die for as well. The Steak Fries are a guilty pleasure in the restaurant but for takeout I do not partake. I also recommend the Cole Slaw if you are so inclined. The ambiance is what you'd expect in a neighborhood restaurant that prides itself in it's signature dish (read: only). I highly recommend finding El Pollo Rico whether in Arlington or Wheaton, MD.

1  Thank BlackBear54