“Farmily friendly atmosphere”
Review of Greek Islands

Greek Islands
Ranked #7 of 94 Restaurants in Anacortes
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Servers prompt and good food. Get there early because it's always busy and it closes early (reservations are recommended for Friday and Saturday nights). I recommend the lamb souvlaki. The lamb is so flavorful. I haven't tried any dessert yet as the meal fills me up.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

This "storefront" on Commercial in Anacortes is a gem! The regular dishes like the Gyros plate and other "standards" are well above average and the soups are superb! Cross your fingers that they are serving their bean soup when you arrive; not to be missed. The fresh flatbread brushed with garlic butter/oil is amazing and baked in house. The service is old world whether delivered by the owner or the younger folks. This is becoming a regular stop for us now that we have a boat in Anacortes.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

You think we only ever eat out in Anacortes? Nope. The Navigator still likes to wander far and wide, and this summer we visited even more ports of call in Norway, and in some charming coastal towns where only Brits go--well kept secrets! (Brits really DO know how to bake and make tea, don't they? The crowning glory of British Cuisine is just that: anything fresh-made and served at TEA TIME!)

Only home a week and off we went to Denver, Colorado for a wedding. (Leaving our house sitters to enjoy Anacortes a bit longer.)

More fancy eateries, some billed as "slow-food specialty houses". Denver's roads are a nightmare but the grub is usually good. Manitou Springs had the best, however. Real home-cooked, "slow-food" that made our mouths water.....but!

But, not one of those foo-foo/chi-chi places we visited in Northern Europe or in Colorado compare with the even better food, prepared by the nicest people of all, right here in Anacortes, at THE GREEK ISLANDS RESTAURANT!

Yes, I have reviewed other local restaurants too, and I like them all well enough, but, this place, this Greek Islands Restaurant is still our fave! The food is wonderful. The people who own it even more so! They are such GOOD PEOPLE. The husband and wife team of Anna and Manolis! THEY make this place truly remarkable!

But back to the food! I love LAMB and I really love how Greek chefs use olive oil and oregano, and lemon juice. No other Mediterranean culture does it quite as well. And this Greek chef prepares lamb better than anyone!

And, thanks to Anna and Manolis, no one uses cilantro in their kitchen. (Too many of us have food allergies, and cilantro is one herb that many people cannot tolerate. Some of us get quite ill from eating it. Others just don't like the taste.)

What do I recommend? The Lamb Souvlaki, Leros' Salad, Homous & Pita & Tzatziki, and either the Rice Pudding with a touch of lemon in it, or the Galaktobouriko (divine!) for dessert---if you still have room, that is!

I once had a Lamb Shepherd's Pie dish that was one of the specials offered one chilly February evening when we took two old friends from the Sunshine Coast of BC there. The gentleman was a gourmet chef himself, specializing in spot prawns and crab that he caught himself as well as fresh veggies grown in his huge garden. His wife just loves to eat, as do I. When Anna mentioned that there was LAMB Shepherd's Pie on the menu that evening, I had to try it! I LOVE Shepherd's Pie!!!! But, I was apprehensive because I'd never had it made with Lamb. Silly me---of course it was perfect! Absolutely delicious.

The Navigator deviates from his usual well charted course of ordering the Chicken Souvlaki, requesting instead the Baked Lasagna with one skewer of Chicken Souvlaki, or the plain Baked Lasagna. He loves both Greek and Italian cuisine. As do I, but, I lean farther in the direction of GREAT GREEK CUISINE any day or night! And, this place, The Greek Islands Restaurant is still the very best I've ever eaten. Truly superb.

But, don't tell anyone, else we won't be able to walk in and find a table during the week. We already know that it gets even busier on Fridays and Saturdays (reservations are recommended on those two evenings).

Do yourself a favor---don't tell anyone else about how good it is until after you've dined there several more times. If you tell anyone else, too soon, the line ups will stretch all the way down Commercial Avenue! Then you and I will both be reeeeally sorry!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

If you like Greek food or want to sample it this is a low to moderate cost option. Compared to a Greek restaurant in Greece it falls short. Might be ok for Americans but would probably not survive in Athens.The restaurant is small and stuffed with tables and can become crowded. It's located on the main street and gets traffic noise if it's warm outside and the door is kept open. Service is good and the menu varied. Two dinners and a glass of wine is $50. On my next visit to Anacortes we'll probably try another restaurant. This one just isn't the type you keep going back to.

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

We ate at the Greek Islands while visiting Anacortes on a Saturday night with no reservations, but they were able to seat us toward the back. There seemed to be a good number of tables reserved and it seemed busy.

We ordered the sampler for two and soup and salad.

The food was fresh and the main entree served on a large silver platter. We received some hummus and bread beforehand, so the table filled up.

The platter arrived with a bountiful amount of food for 2, count on taking some home!

The kabobs were a little overdone, but tender. From our previous experiences in well known Greek restaurants, the recipes could have been more flavorful. The kabobs did not seem grilled and the taste was a bit bland.

All in all, we had an enjoyable dinner taking leftover home, but they did not get eaten.

I would give it a 3 out of 5.