All reviews ramen onsen tub amazing onsen hot spring water private bath the bus mattresses 11pm japan dinner meals
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Being first time in Japan, I wanted to try something very traditional. So, I rented a minivan from Nissan Renta A Car (awesome experience) in Shinjuku Station (near West gate) and drove to Kusatsu Onsen. Normally it would take around 3 hours to drive to Kusatsu. However, I stopped by Byakue Dai-kannon temple in Takasaki. This temple has 42 meters high kannon. It's a great place to visit on the way to Kusatsu. The rest areas on the way to Kusatsu were also fun.

So with family of 8, I booked 3 rooms (2 adults/ 2 children, 2 adults, 2 adults) Tokinoniwa is extremely beautiful and provides top notch service. I used japanican.com to book the room If you are shy or not comfortable in getting naked in front of strangers, each room has its own onsen tub. However, my teenagers wanted to try out the traditional way so we used the public onsen area. Oh boy, it was a great experience. Gorgeous outdoor rotenburo (males and females are separated). Every other day, the female and male public onsen areas are being switched so you can try out both rotenburos.

They serve very delicious dinner which takes over two hours long. Also, there is a snack area right outside of public onsen area for free udon/noodles at 5pm and 11 pm.

Other than the fact that everyone in this hotel CAN NOT speak English, everything else was just fabulous.

The hotel is about 15 mins drive from the Kusatsu town center area (Yubetake). The hotel does provide the free shuttle service but, trust me, once you're checked in, you wouldn't want to leave.

To use your room onsen bath, you can call the front desk and ask them to fill up the tub at certain time. Otherwise, you can do it by yourself by pressing the white button right next to the tub. Once you press the button, it'll fill up 1/3 of the tub each time. So you have to press it couple more times to completely fill the tub.

During my Japan trip, I've been Hakone for onsen experience as well. Trust me, after visiting Kusatsu, you'll realize that the onsen in Hakone doesn't even come close to Kusatsu.

I would definitely come back to Kusatsu and stay at Tokinoniwa Hotel.

Enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank uclabruin2005
Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

The location and the onzen facilities are great and very scenic
The hotel is large and of a nice design but a little worn out in some parts.
Food is good and plenty.
The transfer from the bus terminal is efficient.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2016 via mobile

It was an amazing experience for our family of 4. We booked this through the recommendation of JTB travel agency in Tokyo.
The criteria for us was Roten buro (outdoor onsen bath) and Traditional Japanese style inn not a hotel. "Ryokan"

The building and grounds were beautiful and clean.
The tatami mat hall ways wrapped around the serene garden.
There was a place you could choose your own style of Yukata to wear everyday.

Our room had its own onsen tub on the balcony, but we chose to go down to the public facilities which IMO, is the way to truly experience onsen with the variety of baths to choose from and semi separated washing areas. The outdoor Roten buro was beautifully formed in natural lava rock and landscaping.

They even had 3 separate private Roten buro you could use, first come first serve, as a family or couple.

The dinner was amazing. Although not served in your own room as some do, you do have your own charming table separated from everyone so it feels private.

We had a room with a separate bedroom.
The only disappointment for us, was that they were not traditional futons. Although they were on the floor, they were more like mattresses.
However, in the living area after dinner, they had made up futons for the kids which were so comfortable and fluffy.

The attention to detail was impressive. They provide you with lovely baskets with beaded handles so you can place your toiletries with towels and carry down to the bath.
Robes to wear over your Yukata and socks if you're chilled.
There was a hand coffee grinder in the room with cups and filters so you can make fresh ground coffee in your room as well as tea, of course.

There is also a spa where we got massages as well.

The whole experience was pricey, but worth every yen! We only stayed one night but it was so fulfilling!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank lasvegasseagull
Reviewed 19 October 2016 via mobile

This hotel is so luxurious and relaxing. The tub on the balcony was great to sit in at night and I really enjoyed the private outdoor hot springs. The dinner and breakfast were both phenomenal and all the staff were very professional. The one downside, our futon was so uncomfortable I barely slept!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank ksinwonderland
Reviewed 6 October 2016 via mobile

Very. Good. Accomodation , the onsen very. Theraputic and. It sooths my aching. Arm. Musles and nerve, the food is tasty, and healthy, breakfast , specialy.the japanese traditional. Breakfast is healthy, place. Is good. Dor a rehab. And leasure.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple