“Yummy stop all year”
Review of Manderfield's Home Bakery - CLOSED

Manderfield's Home Bakery
Reviewed 18 December 2015

The fresh smells of bakery goods is the first wave of aroma to place a smile on your face, this will remain as you are greeted kindly each time you visit, if they have apple fritters left grab yourself one with a cup of joe and you have a start or finish or anything in-between of a good day. Everything we have ordered or just to go in a grab and goal has never been a disappointment.

Reviewed 10 November 2015

This is a wonderful bakery, very fresh and delicious. Old time baking in a new facility. Get a cup of gourmet coffee while look TRY to decide what to purchase

Reviewed 23 October 2015

A tasty assortment of everything from homemade breads to decorative cakes...staff is very friendly and helpful. You are greeted when you enter the store and there are always samples!

Reviewed 24 August 2015

I've had Manderfield's baked goods, from time to time, for the past 22 years. When I have had their baked goods, it's because someone else has served it. I haven't shopped there since they made my wedding cake 22 years ago.

They made our wedding cake - never told us that they bake the cakes ahead of time and freeze them until it's time to frost and deliver to you. About 50% of my wedding cake crumbled when the servers attempted to cut the cake for serving. Fortunately, I had ordered a cake that was bigger than we needed, and, the servers were able to salvage enough to serve. The rest ended up a big pile of crumbs.

I once read the ingredient list for what was labeled Butter Cookies. The one ingredient that was NOt listed - butter.

We recently were invited for dinner at a friend's home. We sampled two Manderfield's pies - Turtle Pie and Strawberry Rhubarb. Meh.

Their Turtle Pie is basically a Pecan Pie with caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top, and then what seems to be a fake whipped cream piped around it. The filling for the pie was overly sweet and somewhat gritty in texture. Could have used more pecans.

Strawberry Rhubarb pie crust was not soggy, but, the crust also did not have much flavor. And I did not detect any noticeable rhubarb, and, few strawberries. Flavor of the filling was good - just wish there had been more to fill the crust though. There was a big gap between the top and bottom crust.

I wish I could support this locally owned business, but after sampling a variety of their baked goods, I have to say there is nothing that appeals to me.

1  Thank Frequenttraveler082
Jerry M, Owner at Manderfield's Home Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2015

Thank you for taking the time to review our bakery, I am so sorry you were unable to find something to your liking in the items you tried. I would like to take a moment to hopefully dispel any misinformation you may have been led to believe regarding our products.

First, in reference to your wedding cake, thank you for giving us that opportunity 22 years ago and we're happy to know the crumbling cake did not ruin your event (at least we hope not!). I hope that you provided this feedback to us back then upon the return of your cake plates, as we definitely would have made compensation to you at that time. Please be assured we have never, nor will ever freeze a wedding cake. You are welcome to inquire with me about our process anytime and I will be happy to show you how we do it!

Second, it sounds like you did not have the opportunity to try our butter cookies - only to note the label did not list butter. Please be assured they most certainly have butter! It is currently listed as one of the first few ingredients on our flowered batch called "Butter Blossoms". It is possible that a particular variety at some point in time inadvertantly missed the word butter and to that my apologies. We make our labels on site and we try to make sure everything is correct. If you'd like to sample a current batch, please feel free to contact me at the email below and I'll be happy to provide you a package of them - they really are tasty!

Third, I'm sorry you did not care for the two varieties of our many pies. Turtle by definition is generally a combination of chocolate, caramel and pecans - all of which are in our Turtle Pie. We adorn them with a dairy whipped topping. We also carry a Turtle Torte, Turtle Cookie and Turtle Pudding cake - maybe one of those items would be more satisfying. Regarding the Strawberry Rhubarb pie there are definitely fresh slices of both in with our filling, however we manually fill each pie (vs mechanically) so it is possible that the lack of fruit was the result of inconsistent distribution in that particular batch. If this item is something else you'd like to try (please note they are seasonal though) again please let me know!

We have so much more to offer than just the items you have sampled so I hope you will give us another try. Again, thank you for the feedback and we value our customer's opinions. Please feel free to contact me directly at west@manderfieldsbakery.com with any other comments or concerns you might have!

Reviewed 14 November 2014

Local must have! Stop here on your way to work to sample some bread and get some doughnuts. Love the cinn-o-bites.