“I always stay at this hotel”

Pousada Vila Do Mar
Ranked #52 of 105 Hotels in Armacao dos Buzios
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I am a brazilian as well as a carioca and so have been many times to Búzios. I have stayed at friend´s houses, rented homes and also many hotel so I feel quite at ease about giving my opinion. Vila do Mar is in a splendid location for afternoon/ night life because you can do everything walking: go to restaurants, bars, shops and so on without having to worry about parking, drinking & driving, and so on. There are many beaches in Búzios but the best ones are apart from the city centre so you do need a car anyway (15/20 mn drive aprox.). Is it expensive? Búzios is an expensive place in a country that has become expensive for everyone, natives as well as foreigners. You will find all kind of rates in the city but what they offer in exchange is sometimes really depressing and not worthwhile. This hotel has big rooms, some with beautiful view. Beds and pillows are comfy, There is air conditioning and very good breakfast (this is not a plus because all brazilian hotel tend to be good in this aspect). I am always looking for new places to stay (so as to save the extra bucks) but always end up here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank monicaaguiar
There are newer reviews for Pousada Vila Do Mar

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We went here with a friend after staying in another backpack not as well situated.
No reservation, we just got there in the afternoon and booked for two nights.

The price was 240 Reais per Night, we can easily fit 3 people in the room.
The room was ok : one queen size Bed, one normal Bed and a hammock, a tv and a very affordable "mini bar". A little private terrace is also available.
Not very foccused on decoration, i can only say there was a big painting on the wall closed to the bed i slept on.
The 2 main qualities of this poussada are :
* Its location : in a perpendicular street of "the" main street of Buzios, you'll find anyhting very close without being disturbed by the noise.
* The atmosphere of the whole poussada, very green, lot of plants everywhere. A nice Pergola next to the swimming pool (kind of small) is really relaxing.

Nothing to say about the personnal i did not need them so much and as we stayed late in the room cleaning women did not come.

Very nice trip there !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mathieu2Paris
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I hate to write a bad review, but in the case I feel it is necessary.

I stayed at Vila Do Mar for my honeymoon last year and the staff really ruined our stay there. The hotel itself is nice and well decorated. The location is great as well, right downtown and within walking distance to many great restaurants.

Anyway, the unfortunate part began when they didn't have our reservation, after multiple attempts to pay online and email to confirm it... from there we were put in a room where the A/C unit was leaking and dripping on to the corner of the bed. We got an upgrade in rooms to switch to an 'ocean view' room (great room), but there our camera and cell phone went missing from the room. After checking all possibilities we brought it up with the management and they basically told us to look more, that we had lost it ourselves- which was impossible, as they hadn't left the room.
From there things were a bit uncomfortable, the management just stopped talking with us instead of working out the issues. They had no interest in our satisfaction.

It was very unfortunate, because the hotel has so much potential.
I have to say that I can not recommend anyone stay there.

Room Tip: of the two room we stayed in the 'vista del mar' was the best.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Seftone
Reviewed 25 September 2010

This is a very nice pousada, with good location and excellent breakfast (the best I had in Brazil, all home made, superb!!). Room are spartan but peculiar. On the negative, the personnel not so much comunicative, hence this impacts at the end.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank nick187
Reviewed 28 January 2010

We stayed at the Vila Pitanga for 5 nights over NYE. That place was fine, we were happy with it. But every night we would walk about 1 mile to Centro, the main town area where all the restaurnts and many shops are. Our favorite place to eat is part of the Vila Do Mar - it's called Sinatra. I am writing to have them added to tripadvisor - the food and the service there blew all the other top rated places out of the water. To enter this hotel you walk up some steps to a second level where a reception desk is located. The pool is also located here. It is on the smallish size but it is inviting and charming. From here you walk up steps with lots of foliage located on either side of you and the guest bungalows are located on either side as you go up and up. They all seem like little stand alone places. I asked about the rate and for the period of NYE where all the places jack up their rates and require 5 night minimums, I thought the price they quoted me of around $240 US per night was pretty goo. (We paid close to $200 per night for Vila Pitanga. The rates there are normally more like $100. So I don't know what the non-holiday rate is at Vila Do Mar.) I only saw photos of the inside of the rooms and I can't attest to the cleanliness or staff. But, if the restaurant Sinatra that is owned by this hotel is any indication, I'd stay here instead if I could do it all over again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple