We came across the hotel when we came to Paraty for a day visit. Loved the creative decor, filled with color and interesting items like a full-sized vintage movie projector. We booked online and came back for two nights. They sent a great letter in English and told us where to park (as the historic city is off-limits to cars). Amazingly, we found the parking place and two hotel staff came to carry our luggage on their shoulders over the very bumpy (and charming) cobble stones. Morris at the reception spoke English well; he recommended the best restaurant of our entire visit, Quintal das Letras. We enjoyed the breakfast, full of interesting fruits, cakes, juices, breads, and eggs if you wanted them. We sat in the bar and played scrabble in the evening and also sat in the lobby, which is comfortable and welcoming. Love the art and the eclectic and inventive decor! Reminded us of staying in the Ace Hotel (only a bit more upscale) in PDX or The Lancaster Arts Hotel in Lancaster, PA. The two little monkeys that came to our balcony this morning were also a highlight.
Downsides: Though there is clearly a history of film from Sandi, who used to run the largest VHS movie distribution in Brazil, and there are letters on the walls from Rita Hayworth and Alfred Hitchcock, there is no access to 350 films/DVDs as was promised in the write up we received. Ah well. The only other thing is if air conditioning is important to you and you are worried about mosquitos (of which there are a few, not too many but enough for my husband to be annoyed and cover his head with a sheet), ask about it before you retire for the night and choose your strategy. We tried the air conditioning option but it never really worked out for us. Frustrating to think about at 3am, when the effects of the caiparhinas have worn off! Also--we had a 12-hour power outage that the hotel dealt with very well. Candles in the hall ways and each room had candles in the drawer. It was very romantic and special instead of being a catastrophe. Sweet!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is impossible to think of the historical center of Paraty without mentioning Pousada do Sandi, or Sandi's Lodge. Located in one of the most important historical building sites in Paraty, Pousada do Sandi is a reference in town. Known worldwide for its rich colonial architecture, Paraty's historical center is remarkable. The building that shelters Pousada do Sandi is a city picture postcard. We offer our guests: Sauna, Captain's bar (Pub), Game room, Cable TV and 300 titles of DVDs, Business center, Breakfast, Room Service, Private Parking, SPA All our rooms have conditioned air, telephone, TV, video, safe, minibar, private bathroom, the double beds are king-size. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Pousada do Sandi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pousada Do Sandi Paraty, Brazil
- Pousada Do Sandi Hotel Paraty