Belmond Copacabana Palace
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Novotel RJ Santos Dumont(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$80
Novotel
  • Restaurant
US$215
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Barra(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$106
US$270
US$243
  • Beachfront
US$76
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Rio Othon Palace Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$108
  • Pool
Copacabana Rio Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$55
  • Breakfast included
Mar Ipanema Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$103
  • Breakfast included
Grand Mercure Rio de Janeiro Copacabana(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$98
  • Breakfast included
Brisa Barra Hotel(Rio de Janeiro)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$88
3,529 results
All reviewscipriani restaurantmain buildingiconic hotelgrand damepoolside restaurantpool areapool staffcity viewguest relationsbeautiful poolturn down serviceluxurious hotelfive star hotelour honeymoonconcierge deskhotel guestsbeach service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 February 2018

We stayed for 5 nights in January, purely for relaxation en-route to Iguassu and Ushuaia (for Antarctica). We have been to Rio several times and done the 'sights' on previous visits. The hotel stands as a beacon of tradition on Copacabana Beach, unfortunately now surrounded by rather tawdry concrete buildings from the 1960s and 70s. We saw photographs of the Hotel taken shortly after it was built in the early 1920s, standing proud and alone on Copacabana Beach (with no roads to be seen!). Time has taken its toll.

We had a one-bedroom suite on the 5th floor of the main building. It was immaculate, with a delightful sitting room and excellent bathroom. Housekeeping and room service were exemplary. The beds were a little firm for my liking, but of course that is purely personal preference. Although we faced the beach which is across a four-lane highway, the soundproofing is perfect.

We spent much time by the pool as the weather was mostly fine and warm. I did spend one afternoon on the hotel's sunloungers on the beach, which were OK, but nothing special. Towels and bottled water are provided. My only wish is that the hotel was located on Ipanema Beach, but I appreciate that this would be difficult to change!

Staff in all departments were courteous and charming. We dined twice in the Italian restaurant Cipriani (named after Belmond's flagship hotel in Venice) and this was excellent. On another two evenings we dined in the poolside restaurant which has an international menu. It is perfectly OK, but nothing special. I just wish that the hotel still had an old fashioned Grand Dining Room, but those days have sadly passed, and we shall not see their like again.

I have no hesitation in strongly recommending this hotel for those who enjoy a taste of the 'Belle Epoque'. Belmond - unlike most other hotel chains - allows its hotels to retain their own character and individuality, and long may that tradition continue. Those looking for flashy modernity would be best to look elsewhere!

We travelled on after 5 days to The Belmond Hotel das Cataratas at Iguassu, and I am posting a review of that excellent hotel also.

Room Tip: Choose the best room you can afford, ideally one of those fronting the beach
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
AndreaNatal, General Director at Belmond Copacabana Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Dear Guest,
I am always happy to read descriptions full of details that reflect the personality and background of our guests. And that's exactly what I see in your testimony. I am very grateful for the various compliments for every space you have passed and enjoyed. With regard to the aforementioned old dining table, we actually have a large reading table in our Library Hall which is a delightful invitation to stay for a few moments in a nostalgic and welcoming atmosphere.

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

We found the room very nice, not huge but very comfortable. Bathroom great. Service great. Pool great. Breakfast great. Location great. We have stayed in many nice hotel throughout Europe and North America and This is a great hotel in a great location. AND you don’t get the “nickel and dime” feeling that many 5 star hotels give, even free breakfast. My only complaint. To get a bicycle the hotel wanted 50 real per hour per bike That works out to close to 20 bucks an hour, I can rent a car cheaper. Many 5 star hotels I have stayed at provides bikes for a limited time for free. House keeping was the best we every experienced. One of my wife’s necklaces was tangled from travel, in frustration I laid it down to work on it later, only to find that housekeeping untangled it. Nice touch.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
firstly thank you for all the compliments listed in your testimony. I am very happy to know that your stay was remarkable and full of good impressions. I apologize if something did not please you regarding the bike rental and the necklace. I'll check with the responsible departments.
All the best,

Reviewed 29 January 2018

What I can I say about this hotel, the worst since traveling to Rio in a year and a half. have stayed in the following hotel's while either coming for business or vacation, just to name a few. To be honest Belmond Palace was the Worst, very disappointing to say the least. Upon my arrival the system was down for two hours, so I could not check in, in the time waiting the lobby was hot! No AC in the lobby. So, i went to get something to eat, came back and they could not find my reservation. Fifteen minutes later, oh it was found. The room was okay, the pool and food was okay. issues with the security upon coming back into the hotel; I went out for dinner with my colleagues which lasted longer than expected. Upon attempting to enter the hotel I was abruptly stopped by security and he would not let me in. Since I did not speak the language it was an issue! I attempted to show him my room card and he still did not let me in, the woman that was cleaning at that time spoke to him and I can only guess she advised him she saw me at the hotel earlier. I was able to get in and immediately spoke to the manager! That was my last straw! The only reason why I booked that hotel was because my colleague stated he had a good time there. I usually stay at the JW Marriott Hotel, now just called the Belmond to inquiry on a charge. To my surprise their system is down. The staff stated it shall be back in thirty minutes, will not mention his name. This is supposedly the most prestigious hotel in Copacabana, not possible. Stay at the JW Marriott Hotel, food, staff, pool, weight room and room. In my opinion is much better. The best part for me, they remember you. I have a stay coming up, have already booked with them. Belmond Never again.
Hilton Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
windsor atlantica hotel rio de janeiro
JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro
Mercure Rio de Janeiro Copacabana
Rio Othon Palace Hotel
Windsor Barra
Hotel Tulip Inn

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank Rider J

Dear Guest,
First of all, I would like to express my sincere apologies for any inconvenience during your stay. Such topics do not reflect our standards of service and excellence. Be absolutely sure that I have reinforced with the teams to be more attentive and careful.
Again I apologize and leave an open channel, if you would like to detail more: visit our homepage in the "contact us" section.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

The location is of course what you pay for and add the iconic landmark to this and its an expensive stay for the standard of the hotel.

The musky smell in the room and the the overall tiredness of the hotel was the downside. The pool area however had just been refurbished and was a beautiful setting.

The breakfast buffet was well below my expectations. The restaurants Cipriani and Mee however were excellent with great service.

Its a beautiful hotel but not as luxurious as I expected it to be.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Dear guest
Even with praise for our restaurants, for example, I noticed your discontent. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience during your stay. If you could provide me more details so I will able to check. Please visit our homepage in the 'contact us' section. Your response will address to my office.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

We went in a party of 5 with a baby 4 months old, in a family trip.
The hotel,service is outstanding.
Concierge Service first class by the hand of Maicon! Thank you!
Cipriani, italian amazing Food, wonderful!
Yesterby Mee, Asian fabulous dinner!
Attention and service from Marlon and Raphael was first class, and very
Kindly!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your very positive feedback related to your recent stay. So good to know that you had the opportunity to go to Ciprani and MEE restaurant! They are really fabulous. And an special thanks to the compliments addressed to some members of our staff.
All the best,