Alegro Hotel(Veliko Tarnovo)
US$39
Hotel Studio(Veliko Tarnovo)
US$61
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$71/night.

Family Hotel Silvestar(Veliko Tarnovo)(Great Value!)
US$41
Agusta Hotel(Veliko Tarnovo)
US$63
Asenevtsi Park Hotel(Veliko Tarnovo)
US$52
Hotel Gurko(Veliko Tarnovo)
US$56
Meridian Hotel Bolyarski(Veliko Tarnovo)
US$83
Hotel Lucky(Veliko Tarnovo)(Great Value!)
US$42
US$27
Anhea(Veliko Tarnovo)(Great Value!)
US$32
  • Bar/Lounge
Tsarevets Hotel(Veliko Tarnovo)
US$52
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 December 2014

I was planning on going to Hostel Mostel for their tour of the UFO building, but they were being really annoying and unhelpful about scheduling. After a MONTH of giving me the runaround, and with my departure date from Bulgaria pending, I finaly desperately called this hostel on a lead from a blog, and got the fabulous Mila on the phone. She is a total sweetheart. Her English is great. When I told her my plight, she told me that they don't do the tour normally, but she'd call a few people and get back to me. She called around and found someone who found someone who would take me for a great price! Then she called me back, and after a few calls back and forth, set it all up for me. Just that bit of personal service really set me up for a great experience at Hikers Hostel. When I got there, I was pleasantly surprised. The hostel was charming and rustic looking but clean and well set up. I loved the hammock in the common room upstairs with a great view of the amazing fortress / castle -- though winter is not really the season for hammocks. In the common room downstairs, I always found people, food, and rakia flowing freely. It was so warm and fun. I had some amazing Bulgarian bean soup and gyuvech (stew in a ceramic pot)! Due to it being low season, I got to stay in the ten person room alone, which was nice. Something the hostel could address is the lack of plugs in that room -- easy enough with an extension cord. Even for me alone with all my devices to charge I had to switch them out often. I can't imagine with ten people. I had been worried about being warm enough, but the heating was great and there was even a little heater in the bathroom which made it nice and toasty all the time -- it was right near the toilet, which made it VERY nice :) -- I felt like I was using a Japanese warming toilet seat. Anyway, I would totally come back to this hostel. Great people, cute hostel, met all my needs. And the UFO building is a must see in this area!!!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hostel wasn't as brightly painted as others might be, but it felt very relaxed and friendly. It was easy to spend too much time there with the friendly staff over a cup of coffee in the sunshine.

I also felt like I was somehow part of a long line of historic hikers in staying here, that someday I will run into someone else who stayed here and we can reminisce about a nap in the common room hammock. Maybe it's just that it feels so comfortable and lived in.

It's an uphill walk from the touristy strip but that means that it offers a killer view of the fort from the upstairs common room and is also only about five minutes from hiking on trails. It is Hikers Hostel, after all, not Preppy Sorority House. I'm pointing that out because it took me a while before it occurred to me that it was for Hikers and not Backpackers. And that's when I ended up on the trails in inappropriate footwear.

It's not particularly close to the bus stations. One isn't a bad walk (Yug) and there's another bus station out at the western edge of town that is worth waiting for the #10 bus.

I read of some of the other reviews and there is a point there that the free breakfast isn't as substantial as you might get at home. But there is a bakery down the street where you can get a good bite for just a lev (50 cents I think).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank StevePaylor
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

This is a nice basic hostel. The location is about a five minute walk from the centre in a quiet residential area.

The common room offers a good view of the Fortress and light show.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was very basic, but nice.

The bathrooms smelt a little and had no hooks or etc. But they were clean.

A nice, basic hostel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Hiker's Hostel is situated at the top of one of the mountains, which makes the walk totally worth it. Mila and Alex were so awesome- super helpful and up for great conversations. The common room upstairs has the perfect view of Tsavarets, especially when it's lit up at night. If I am ever in VT again, I will stay here for sure.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 4-bed room and the 10-bed room, both of which were great. I'd still go with the 10-bed just because it is a little bit cheaper.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed here for four nights, decided to hole up in VT after feeling fatigued with getting up early and going to different destinations each day. I found the hostel with difficulty, but that's down to my poor navigational skills and I should've taken advantage of the free pickup service from the train station. Anyway, the hostel is located in the Varosha quarter of VT, on a hill with winding cobbled streets. The views from the hostel are amazing, you can see the fortress and in particular the light show at night- you could hardly be better placed. The staff were extremely friendly and accomodating. The owner, Toshe ,put on a BBQ on my first night, with the rakia flowing- a memorable night. Andrew, a Welsh guy who's lived in VT for 9 years, was particularly friendly and pleasant to be around- and ranks as possibly the nicest person I've ever met. His hospitality and humour influenced my decision to stay here for four nights and I'll never forget him. The rooms were clean and the ambience of the hostel was very chilled and I have to say this was the best hostel experience I've ever had.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo