“Lovely place!”
Review of Emma

Ranked #3 of 114 Restaurants in Dali
Price range: US$4 - US$8
Description: This is a restaurant of Chinese home-style cuisine based on the local flavor and Yunnan ingredients with less oil and less additive. We are in the center of Dali ancient town against Yu'er park back door . We serve dishes for non-vegetarian and vegetarian. Also we try to combine different ways of cooking for finding new fusion flavor . Welcome to Emma! Please enjoy your meal with your family and beloved ones !
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

This is a wonderful place with great food! They speak very good English and recommended some great veggie dishes. We especially liked the tofu and carrot salad and the pumpkin, bean, rose dish as a finisher.

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear Jessica

I'm honored that you enjoyed our food ! And I'm so appreciate that you came again before leaving. I am happy that you enjoyed the rose and mashed red beans pumpkin cake the first night. I was worried you guys might not enjoy the texture of the mashed red beans. We made the pumpkin cake with the local rose jam ,which for our vegetarian guests. Still, thanks for coming :) I wish you have a wonderful trip in China !

Best wishes

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Nice place and great people (Emma is the best )! We highly recommend the biff beautiful vermicelli stir fry! :)

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear guest ,

shalom ! Thank you so much for such lovely reviews :) I'm so glad you liked the beef stir fry with vermicelli ,though I worried you might not like the texture. And still, I feel honored you came three times with other friends:) I wish you have a good trip in Yunan ! See you again :)

Best Wishes

Reviewed 21 September 2017

What a pleasant restaurant! (On our first night in Dali we wandered around trying to find a tasty and inexpensive meal but failed on both accounts.) The following day I saw the excellent reviews of Emma on tripadvisor and it lived up to every one of them. We went back the following night(!) and would love to return again sometime.
We asked Emma for food recommendations because all the dishes sounded so good we couldn't make a decision. Both dinners were delicious, fresh and wholesome. My favourite was the tofu. Emma has a welcoming atmosphere and its a lovely space to relax after a busy day. Excellent service and friendly chats.
Going to Emma was the tastiest decision we made in our month in China and choosing to go back the following night was the easiest! Thank you Emma!

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Naomi ,

It was a great treasure to meet you and Tom in my restaurant . I have no words but "thank you so much " for such highly recommendation . I am honored that the food from Emma's devoted to your travelling in China. Reading such lovely reviews from you guys just made all memories flash back in my head. Sometimes when I sit in Emma's and all the pics pops up in my head (all content smile from you guys after meal) , I feel this restaurant has heart beats. Thanks to all of you . As how I always take every meal in life so precious ,cause happiness only happens when shared ,and having food together is one of those moments in life. Not to mention it's very important for travel . I do appreciate you guys shared such happy experience with me as it also reflects on my feelings . It made my day!
Again, Thanks for coming to Emma's . Wish best to you guys !

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

I'm a little sheepish to admit we ate at Emma's three times during our 10 days in Dali.

Emma runs FOH and her parents are in the kitchen, cooking the kind of food I hoped to find here in Yunnan -- varied and super fresh ingredients, much less oil than usual, perfect seasoning, no msg.

Everything we had was fab. The mashed potatoes are awesome with the water spinach + fermented black beans. The tofu and carrot was great. The tofu with mushrooms and peppers even better. And the pork meatballs with cabbage were amazing. You can't go wrong here (except by going just once).

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Dear Kim,

I have no words to describe how much pleasure to meet you and J . It's magical that I made such wonderful friends by the food from Emma's . Sometimes the food goes beyond it's own meaning . I couldn't help thinking how life could be so beautiful this way . It's like the food has siblings , indeed I feel all the food culture connected in some way . I did enjoy how we talked about the different ways of cooking . And thank you so much for inspiring me a lot. And I am honored I was invited to your goodbye party ,the food you made was fabulous. It strives me to feel more eager to get to know more about food culture. And also your wonderful travelling stories . I do wish see you guys again in Dali . Have a wonderful trip !

Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

We found Emma via TripAdvisor and all the good things that are said are true!
We were welcomed warmly by "Emma" and a friendly waiter when we arrived and got some recommendations for food from them. With two dishes we were told that this would be enough. Very friendly and more than correct!
The food that was recommended was delicious! We had the tofu and carrot, which was very tasty and the meatballs which were also really good. We then asked for a dessert, but they didn't have anything on the menu. Emma, however had bought some brownies that day and offered us one with our coffees. Unexpected and so friendly!
The next day we decided to try another place, but were disappointed because the food was not on par with Emma's. Our last night in Dali, we went back to Emma and were again very happy! The Kung pao chicken was to die for and because we really wanted to try two different dishes (the stir fried tofu and mushrooms) she asked the kitchen to make smaller portions.
In summary: kind and perfect service and terrific food and all of that for a very good price! If you're looking for a nice, easy going place to eat, don't look further. This is the place!

vega s, Owner at Emma, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Dear Koen R

I'm honored when guests would come back to Emma's for twice during their short stay in Dali .The compliments from you really enhance my motivation of figuring out more and more Chinese food by Yunnan ingredients . We try to use less oil and less additive comparing with some other Chinese restaurants, for not covering the real taste of the ingredients. Yunnan is really famous for it's fresh ingredients and it's wide range of goods .I wish I could get to know it's culture more deeply and one day bring more and more varieties on the table. Wish the food from Emma's could add more memories to your wonderful trip . Still, I do appreciate your compliments on our hospitality. Meeting great travellers is a treasure to me . Somehow I have to say thanks to you for bringing such lovely atmosphere to shape Emma's romance .
I do wish you had a wonderful in China !