“Disappointing ”

Full-Day Otavalo and Cotacachi Market Tour
Ranked #2 of 37 things to do in Otavalo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This colorful Indian market takes place each Saturday and features some of the finest woven products in the region including ponchos, sweaters, wall hangings and shawls.
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

So we were advised to stay nearby so that we could go to the big Saturday market. But it’s really a tourist market and many things you can buy for better quality at a similar price in the local shops. Quite busy. No interesting foods or market produce - for this you have to head away from the central tourist area.

3  Thank Ted S
"saturday morning"
"handmade items"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

The market would be a middling place at best except for 2 things: (1) it's located in the mountains of Ecuador; (2) it's full of authentic indigenous people, some of whom are traditionally costumed, and also kind of colorful. That said, it's not nearly as big as I had been led to believe, and I was there on Weds., the busiest day other than Sat. (though Sat. also features an animal market, which I'm told is a pretty unique experience for a gringo). Further, you probably can find better quality stuff simply by shopping around on your own, including weavings that can be found elsewhere in Otavalo, leather goods from Cotaccochi and wooden goods from Ibarra, to mention a few things. I suppose the market is a way to kill an hour or two if you're already here in Otavalo, but I wouldn't make a special trip from Quito just to visit it.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

The open air market is well set out in central Otavalo with lots of stalls in rows around a central area. It can be a bit like walking through a maze at times because of the number of stalls selling similar goods. One thing that I liked is, it is very laid back and we didn't get hassled by anyone to buy. There was certainly a huge selection of choice, knitted goods, t shirts, Panama hats and much more. Amongst the things I bought was a knitted child's jacket with felt animals sewn on, it has been worn by my grandson lots of times and it still looks like new and the zip works well too. The prices of the t shirts were amongst the cheapest we saw in Ecuador. A great place to go if you want Ecuadorian products.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

This market was huge, it covered a whole block and more, we walked and walked along the aisles of handmade items, leather goods, hats, and accessories. I loved the embroidered table runners and kitchen towels.

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I took a group tour (20 pax in a minibus)that included an equator line visit (not the large Mitad del Mondo complex in northern Quito) and a stop at a Bizcochos cafe. We also visited Laguna Cuicocha. Lunch was included and there was time to do some leather shopping at Cotacachi. The highlight was the Otavalo market itself. We went on a Saturday. It is a large market but the 2 hours we had there were sufficient. It is a very interesting tour The tour company was Ecuatraveling and the guide was very good with excellent English. Prices paid by individuals on our bus varied from US$50 to $70 depending on the online booking agency. Booking direct with Ecuatraveling seemed to be the cheapest. It is a good tour and also gives an insight into the indigenous people’s culture.