3,399 results
All reviews overwater bungalow our honeymoon fish french polynesia vue bar beach bar rented a car dinner buffet outdoor shower travel agent beautiful property dive shop entire stay snorkel gear ferry terminal dream come true bucket list
Reviewed 18 August 2018

Ive been to Sofitel Moorea twice and Ive seen other properties on Moorea too and can honestly say its the best accommodation in terms of quality and privacy you can find on the island. Moorea is quite small and whoever is looking for a high end St Regis kind of place is not going to find it on this island here.
I have stayed in the beach bungalows the first time and the second trip in the overwater bungalows and they are both nice it just depends what you like. The beach bungalows all have access to the beach and are set into a jungle background having the lush scenery behind while I loved the overwater bungalows for being able to jump from your terrace into the crystal clear waters for a morning swim.
Both room categories are the same in size coming with big open bedroom and bathroom and desk area. The location of the hotel is great for snorkeling and to explore the islands. we took the quads to explore a bit of the island which was very fun and also did a private boat tour exploring the area around Sofitel Moorea which was incredible and one of my favorite days ever ! the most amazing water and snorkeling and a lunch in the water with sting rays swimming by :)
If you have a sweet tooth like me make sure to also try the lava cake at dinner at Sofitel, its super delicious :) i loved this place and Moorea in general as it feels like a jurassic park island and I hope to be back soon to this paradise :)

Room tip: Beach bungalows away from the main pool and restaurant, overwater bungalows not the closest row to the pool so it feels more secluded :)
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Ia ora na from Moorea :)
What a wonderful sharing of experience! Thank you for this very nice testimony which touches us a lot, we are delighted to have been able to welcome you in our corner of paradise!
We do our best to make you live wonderful moments and your satisfaction is our greatest reward!
Thanks again and see you soon at Sofitel Moorea, Mauruuru!

Reviewed 14 August 2018

The check in process is ridiculously long winded, despite this been mentioned in other earlier reviews, and the manager replying to reviews saying he would look into it.
When we arrived we were the only people checking in.
Staff messed about fetching us a drink then disappeared.
Went to fetch a form, then disappeared,
Went to scan passports and disappeared,
Then other guests arrived to be checked in, so she went off to start doing the same with them, leaving us sat there waiting
Then she appeared with 2 vouchers for "complimentary breakfast"
Knowing we would arrive here early morning, we paid for the room the night before, so we could check in on arrival ( normal check in time not until after 2pm )
If I have paid for it, it is not complimentary !!!
I asked if we could just get a key from her and go to our room.
She disappeared again.
When she eventually passed through reception again, I asked about our room key again.
She said she would have to check with housekeeping if our room was ready !!
This room should have been ready for us 17 hours before we arrived.
At this I went to the reception desk and insisted on a key for the room from a different member of staff.
We had a Deluxe garden room for 4 nights and an Over-water bungalow for 4 nights. Both rooms were nice but getting tatty. Corners knocked off furniture, curtains different lengths, floors heavily scratched, bulbs not working.
Most of the staff are very friendly, happy to help...but at their speed.
The guys at the beach bar deserve a mention, always smiling, helpful,
Breakfast is nice, a good selection of different food available.
I wish they would have covers for the fruit, cheeses, meats, as these got swamped in small flies. Some of the hot food was only luke warm. If the egg chef stopped messing about juggling the eggs, and stupid flicks of his utensils he could serve people quicker and avoid people queueing.
The bar restaurant for lunch and dinner seemed expensive and only had a couple of dishes that did not contain meat or fish.
We only ate in the buffet restaurant one evening.....it was expensive and very poor quality. It was supposed to be an Itailian themed evening.
The antipasto offering was just the meats and cheeses offered at breakfast. There was a pasta salad, and a plate of sliced oranges covered with cracked black pepper ?!?!?
The hot food... they had a section for pizza but no pizza cooked, we had to pressure the chef to do some. There was some brown goo in a pot and a couple of other things..nothing was labeled so I didn't have a clue what they were supposed to be.
I think there was supposed to be a "cooked to order" pasta section but it was unmanned the whole time we were in the restaurant.
For dessert there were some things in small dishes again unlabeled and unrecognizable. Then they had a chef cooking that classic Italian dessert CREPES !! Has anyone in the kitchen ever been to Italy ?
I am unsure if it is just this hotel or if mosquitoes are an issue for the whole island. Despite using jungle strength repellent the 2 of us had over 100 bites between us in the first 2 days. Most guests displayed numerous bites.
One evening I went to reception to inquire about something, and the staff were all just stood there with cans of insect spay creating a cloud of repellent.
In the hotel grounds there is a freshwater pond, surely that's not helping.
I understand the hotel is closing towards the end of the year for 3 months for a much needed refit and being re-branded....lets hope filling in the pond is also on the list !!
I felt the hotel wanted to extract every last franc from customers pockets. For our departure we asked concierge to call a taxi....they charged 700 CFP.

Room tip: If you must go here, pay the extra and have an Overwater room
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Ia ora na from Moorea,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your comment is very important to us. Your opinion allows us to improve our service in order to better receive you in the future. I want to tell you on behalf of the entire team that our only objective is to share a moment of happiness through a wonderful experience with each of our clients. It is a real disappointment to us when it is not and we are truly sorry.
This is the first time we have had negative feedback about our Chef of Omelettes, who has a star reputation and the most positively quoted person in our guest’s comments.
Your comments regarding the buffet were immediately forwarded to our Chef, for necessary actions to be taken. We would have liked to meet you during your stay to help to make you feel a great experience and to reach your expectation.We sincerely apologize for this and hope to welcome you soon. Mauruuru !

Reviewed 11 August 2018

Whilst not cheap, if you want a little bit of luxury in paradise, this is your place. Combining the warm welcome of the local Polynesian culture (which you can experience in various entertainments) and the sophistication of French sensibilities, every opportunity is afforded to eat, drink and play in the sun. The overwater bungalows are magical and the service is second to none. Many staff not only speak Tahitian, French and English, but a number speak other European languages. In fact, it is the staff that make this place, hard working, friendly and kind.

The lagoon is perfect for swimming and snorkelling. A huge variety of coral and fish still live in the lagoon, and all is accessible from the beach or your bungalow. The grounds are well maintained, and the architecture combines natural luxury with South Seas style.
After time in Hawaii, you get a real sense of the influence of Francophone culture on the local population.

The food is good, and offers an international menu. Breakfast encompasses everything from fruit and pastries to a cook breakfast, and most things in between. Finally, if you know your wines and like your food to be refined, by French standards, it is worth trying the K restaurant.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2018

Ia Orana !
A great MAURUURU for this magnificent sharing. Polynesian hospitality and kindness are our strengths and our greatest reward is to see that you have been touched by it.
We are delighted that you have found your corner of paradise at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora !
Once again a big THANK YOU for your comment which goes right to our heart and see you soon at Sofitel Moorea.

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

We spent four nights at the Sofitel Moorea and we are very pleased with our stay.
We had the superior overwater bungalow, which is situated in the middle of a crystal clear light blue water with corals. Room was not the newest but still very tidy and clean.
We liked the main restaurant, which has a menu “a la carte”, very good and quite broad, therefore you can dine there more than once without feeling you have tried everything on the menu. That said, there is a fine dining restaurant, the K restaurant, which is absolutely delicious and we would have dined there more often if it was not fully booked (they only have 20 tables) as it offers a superior experience.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Didier L, Directeur général at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Ia ora na!
Thank you for this beautiful sharing of experience, and what a "magnificent" praise for Sofitel Moorea! We are very touched by your comment, all our team thanks you for your stay with us, come back soon! Mauruuru!
Thank you for sharing your experience at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora and see you soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2018

If you're going to Bora Bora or any french polynesia place, you HAVE to make sure you are in an OVERWATER Bungalow. Don't be fooled by titles such as "Beach Bungalow" -- it's not the same. The overwater bungalows are amazing. It was so gorgeous. And the snorkeling (with gear provided by the hotel) was so cool.

That said, this place gets 4 stars instead of 5 because of issues with the food and service. They have a buffet breakfast, which is nice... however, there was a long black hair baked right into a biscuit one morning. On a different day, we had dinner at the bar at the K restaurant in hotel... there was a black hair on my margarita pizza! I saw it immediately when the waitress set the plate down. She made me a new pizza and offered me fruit juice as compensation. Fruit juice is not proper compensation for hair laying on top of food. The proper response should have been to make me a new pizza and not charge me for it. I didn't finish my pizza and took some of it to go. The waitress said I can come back later and the kitchen would warm it up for me. When I came back the next day to get it warmed up the bar tender was really rude and said "this is a business. we can't just be warming up your food." Obviously tourists are paying thousands of dollars for this vacation, I expected better food and service.

However, view and experience of an overwater bungalow is amazing. It's a once in a lifetime experience. Don't be worried about plumbing etc., it works seemlessly. I highly recommend this place for a honeymoon or something similar. There really isn't much to do at night. No night life and nothing to do in town. You have from 7am - 4pm to enjoy the water and sun (Note: sun seems to "set" earlier because once it gets past the mountain it gets abruptly dark).

Room tip: ask for a bungalow further out on the water. P.S. - bring your own alcohol in a checked bag. It is VERY expensive.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Ia ora na and thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort.
We are delighted to have been able to welcome you and share with you our corner of paradise!
We will take your feedback into consideration in order to improve. We hope to welcome you again very soon!
Mauruuru!