“Dolphin Swim and Snorkel”

Anthony's Key Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Sandy Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We met the tour rep by the shops and got a wrist band showing we were on the dolphin swim and snorkel. We waited about 10 mins before they led us to a mini-bus over to Anthony’s Key. The drive was through a narrow part of the island and the drive was beautiful. We arrived at Anthony’s Key and were put on a small boat over to a small island where the dolphins were. We could already see them swimming and jumping. Very exciting. We had a short briefing about safety of us and the dolphins, got some snorkel gear, then headed to the beach. They put us in small groups with a trainer (Dante) and dolphin (Cortez) to get to meet the dolphin. He swam by us about 5 times so we could pet his back and belly. He was very smooth and rubbery feeling. We joked that he was the labrador of the water. He looked like he was just closing his eyes as to say “Sigh… please keep petting me”. He did some jumps, swam around fast, let us look at his teeth, let him kiss us and hold him for photos, etc. So very cool. After about 30 minutes, the people who just paid for the “dolphin encounter” had to leave. Then we got our snorkel gear on, headed out into the water and got to snorkel with about 20-30 dolphins in a couple acre open area. The dolphins and us were free to swim where we wanted, they could choose to avoid us if they wanted, and we were free to touch them if we wanted. SO VERY COOL!! You could hear them “talking” under the water, and knew when they were approaching. I’d be looking ahead, then all of a sudden a group of 4 would pass right under me. Then I was snorkeling alone in one area where 2 juveniles (I'm guessing) would swim at me face to face, then when about 2 feet in front of me, would swim off fast to one side of me or another. The 2 of them did this over and over for about 5 mins. They were totally playing. SO AWESOME! We were allowed to snorkel with them for about 30 mins and they were swimming all around us. About 4 or 5 were close enough to reach out and let me touch them. All the rest were anywhere from 2 feet to 10+ feet away from me. I highly recommend this experience to anyone. While meeting the dolphins and getting the photos ops were really cool, the experience of the getting to just swim with them topped it off. After buying a few things in the gift shop, including our photos, we took a mini bus back to the ship. Next time I want to stay at the resort, I fell in love with the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharksgirl9

Reviewed 5 March 2013

This was our second trip to Roatan. Our first hotel experience in Roatan at Infinity Bay was not a good one. We booked our second trip with about 27 members of The Worldwide Christian Scuba Divers Org. it was a great week at Anthony's Key Resort. The divers were split according to experience and certifications. They did a great job of putting the right Boat Captain/Dive Master with each group. The more experienced group had Jimmy(boat Captain) and Hector (DM). Jimmy and Hector did their best to pick the right dive site and all were great. My wife's group had Richard (Boat capt.) and Frank (DM). They are also a great team that made that groups dives safe and fun. Franks group could not stop talking about how he helped every diver become much better in just one week. They run a top notch dive operation there. We also had Selase and Saul as our waiters for all our meals,they also did an excellent job. The meals were very good. Great soups,fresh baked rolls and lots of grilled fish!. The fiesta night on the key had great entertainment ,fish and ribs. The grounds are very well maintained. The cabins on the key are quiet and unique, I just did not enjoy the constant water taxi trips back and forth from the key but it was nice. The staff did an excellent job of helping you with any issues. There is nothing near the resort but they keep you busy with 3 dives a day and the night dives that Frank made perfect. We hope to return again next Feb......

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex A
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed at Anthony's Key in May 2012. We stayed 10 days, which overlapped with the in/out you get with most people staying a week which made for a few nuances.

Room:
Room was very nice - we had # 54 (Key Superior) which was a stand alone bungalow over the water. Room was clean and furnishings were good for dive resorts. It had a nice deck over the water with two hammocks. The view was of the mainland and dolphin park which was fun but you could not see the sunset (FYI) but for shade lovers the deck was almost always shady. Overall meet our expectations. We think that some of the best rooms on the island would be 46 thru 49 which have a view of the sunset yet aren't too far from the ferry.

Facilities:
To get from the the island rooms to the rest of the resort (dining hall and dive shop) you take a motorboat for about 60 seconds which runs all day long. I would definitely stay on the island as the pool is there. Pool is nice (be wary of mosquitos round the pool) and happy hour is a good value which is at the pool a few days a week. It is at the main bar the rest of the week - it is a good time to stock up on beers which you can put in the fridge in your room (half price).

Meals are in the dining hall on the main island - food is good but if you stay longer than a week the menu repeats itself. All meals are usually included in your plan and are a selection from a small menu (1-3 options). I would give the food 3.5 stars - some was good some was just ok.

Activities:
Diving - the dive operation is well run. Again being on the 10 day schedule meant you got shuttled between dive boats as groups came in and out. Overall was pleased. They do have about 12-14 people per boat with 2 dive masters. A bit crowded but overall ok. Locked lockers are provided for your gear which is nice and dive masters are helpful. Only had one divemaster that was a bit inattentive. In some of the off days we ended up with an amazing dive master (wish I remembered his name!) who took us out alone which was great!! We did not rent gear.

Town (west end) is a 10-15 minute taxi ride which the hotel will help you arrange round trip. 10 bucks or so a person. There are some decent restaurants in town but not much else.

Only mishap on the trip was our room was infested with flying (non-biting) ants and we had to sleep on our deck for the night because we couldn't locate anyone except a non-english speaking guard (turns out there is a manager in residence we couldn't figure out how to find her though). The resort was very apologetic and comped us a dolphin encounter which was really nice.

Also note if you plan to horseback ride you MUST bring long pants and shoes. Otherwise you won't be allowed to ride.

Also bring lots of mosquito repellant as they can be bad - get the strongest type you can.

Also note there are quite a few stairs to the dining hall/bar area.

Room Tip: Select a superior key room - rooms 46-54 face SW and have a good view of the dolphin encounter - I w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Snoobles
Reviewed 2 March 2013

If you want a tropical holiday with all the amenities without being lost at a large resort Anthony's is
Is perfect for you. Known for its diving and snorkelling Anthony's is a great place to base your exploring of Roatan. Off the beaten cruise ship tours yet close enough to West Bay and West End.
Our accommodations were great. We had a superior room on the hill overlooking Anthony's Key.
We wanted a cabana on the island but they were all booked up and we booked seven months in advance!
With our snorkel package we got three meals a day and two snorkel boat tours a day. You have to rent your snorkel gear by the day or for the whole week.
Drinks are $2.50 for beer and $7.00 for cocktails. They happy is hour every second day and drinks are half price. It took us a day or two to realize which bar the happy hour was at.
Tipping seems to be a small issue. They want you to keep a record of all the people that you want to tip and put the names in an envelope with your tips at the end of your stay. Instead we just went around the last few days and tipped who we felt deserved it.
If there was anything disappointing about AKR was the excursions. When we were planning our trip we assumed the the day trips we available to book. They weren't. The day trips mentioned on the AKR website didn't exist or you could just take a cab to get to them.
We did get some great advice from one of the servers, Clinton about a trip up island to take a boat
through a mangrove forest and lunch on a local restaurant called The Hole in Wall. We hired a driver, Italiano, we think that was his name, and he gave a fantastic tour of the other side of the island.
It was one of the highlights of our trip.
All in all we had a fantastic time and watched spectacular sunsets from the restaurant or from Bailey's Key.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms on the west side of Anthony's Key. Make sure it's a superior room. The st...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pooka99
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I can't say enough about the Resort or the people managing it and while we weren't staying in the resort itself, we were staying literally on the site, but right next door (its an interesting story in itself). But thanks to Kevin, the Dive Shop Manager, and Asia from the PADI Diving Society (PDS dive trips rock), we were allowed to join a PADI dive group that had booked the site for the week we were there. This provided us with the opportunity to use all the AKR facilities as if we were guests, including the wonderful hilltop restaurant and bar, all dive facilities, which are first class, and even the onsite clinic when my wife got stomach flu from eating bad fruit from a local vendor.

From Day #1 until we left, the Resort ran like a top notch international dive resort, although I would have been just as happy even if I hadn't been an inveterate diver, as the other facilities, pool (and pool bar) as well as it's location near the West End of the island make it a perfect location to be on Roatan. And speaking of the resort buildings, rooms and overall location, the grounds are magnificent, beautifully kept and the sunset views are majestic from the restaurant, bar and observation deck that is in the most glorious tree house I have ever been in. The bar and restaurant including service, are first class cuisine (ask for Sol) and while the variation is limited, the quality of what they serve is excellent. The bar has all the top shelf mixed drinks at a great price, good wines and great bartender (ask for Kirvin). And the rooms or bungalows, especially those over the water, are wonderful. And contrary to what you may have read here, the 50 odd steps up the side of the beautifully landscaped hill to the "tree house" were actually easy for these 60 year old legs, and never a problem, breakfast, lunch or dinner.

But I will reserve my highest praise for the Dive operation and crew. I have dived all over the world from Australia to Zanzibar, and this is one of the most comprehensively professional operations I have had the pleasure of using. Their boats are large, clean and in great working order with camera table and storage area for all our gear. Their Boat Captain's take pride in their craft and my Captain, Rupert, has been there for over 20 years and knew the island and the reef structure like the back of his hand. He could predict the day's (and night's) weather down to the hour and knew when to move the dive group to the other side of the island when a front moved through. My Dive Master, John, was highly proficient and also knew the reef system and marine life intricately. In reality, that is what you're paying for when you go to a dive resort and having experienced a "bad" Dive Master, the difference can make or break the whole trip.

I would return to AKR, and Roatan, in a heartbeat and having done both the Shark Dive and the Dolphin open water dive encounter, I would gladly pay the extra money to do both of these incredibly interactive dives again...in fact, everything that AKR offered was worth every dime we spent. And that's my final point: The whole trip was incredibly affordable with three meals a day and three dives a day and the value provided by all aspects of the Resort and their dive services far exceeded what we expected while being in a remote 3rd world dive location in Central America.

Can't wait to return and m,y suggestion to any one planning a trip is that the weather in February through June is perfect, not too hot, great breezes and smooth waters. So I'm sure we'll see you there soon...

Room Tip: Always ask for an Island Superior Room!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
6.6 km away
Paradise Beach Hotel
Paradise Beach Hotel
#4 of 14 in West Bay

Been to Anthony's Key Resort? Share your experiences!