“Cultural fun”

Ranked #4 of 6 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

We booked the evening market class at 1900 thbt each.

In the first instance you are apprehensive due to price, but it is totally worth it.

We were both collected and taken back to our hotel no issues, and had the pleasure of sharing the evening with a lovely Aussie couple, and a brother/sister from Germany.

The class itself was hosted by a eccentric Thai chef, Akappam. His tuition, knowledge and interaction with the group was great.

Class started in a Thai market and ended with cooking four dishes, each one devoured by the sea.

The night itself and what you take from it is totally worth it. If you like your food and culture this is a must.

1  Thank David B

Reviewed 26 November 2016 via mobile

After much deliberation over the multitude of cooking classes available here on Koh Lanta we were so glad to have chosen Roi Thai and especially to do the market tour.

Akkapak was amazing. Incredibly funny and passionate about food, Thai cooking and maintaining the integrity of traditional Thai cooking methods.

Probably the best Thai I've eaten, and I cooked it myself (with Akkapaks guidance of course).

1  Thank Lauzadams
Reviewed 4 March 2016

We had a lot of fun in this class. First of all, the market tour is great, with a real discovery of local products, and the way to use them.. The cook is real fun and we had a lovely time cooking and discovering the secrets of this thai cuisine... Its a bit long, but we had the chance of a lovely sunset while enjoying our work... Great activity !

Reviewed 21 February 2016 via mobile

Altho it was quite expensive, I enjoyed it. Took part in the Market Course which lasted from 4:30 till 9:30 pm. Well, there was nothing going on until 5 o'clock. They experienced several problems picking up all participants.

At the market, I somehow expected a little bit more, probably I'd appreciate more suggestions and hints on not only what is what but also how to make out good pieces from worse ones.
What was very nice and thoughtful, Phum got us some goodies to try - fried sweet potato and coconut ice cream.

Once we got back to the restaurant (at 6 pm), it always took some time for the staff to prepare the ingredients etc. which is ok. Preparing the food was fun and I was glad Phum sticked to the menu mentioned in the flyer because that was why I chose to enroll in the course that day. It was lovely to eat the food you prepared yourself, the more the meals I really love. However, the breaks between the individual meals were too long, and as it was already mentioned in a reference here before, it prolonged the course (might have ended around 8 or 8:30 pm, have the breaks been shorter, I think).

As I enjoyed the individual meals, I couldn't eat anymore after the third out of four meals - I just ate too much. Happily enough, they allowed me to take the fourth meal with me back home.
Normally, you eat just one of the meals for lunch and another one for dinner, now we had four meals at once.

At the end of the course we got a certificate. Phum was very nice.

Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

We did the afternoon course, with another couple. Teacher was entertaining and informative. Sometimes his English was a bit broken, but we manage to understand everything. The recipe we learned of chicken sate will make us really popular within our friends back home!! :P