“Great way to spend an evening”

Roi Thai Cooking School
Ranked #5 of 7 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

This course starts with a trip to Koh Lanta market with the chef to buy produce and learn about the local ingredients which is a worthwhile trip in itself as it's probably the most authentic experience I had on this island. The market location moves every day of the week so if you're lucky, like we were, it will be close by to the cookery school but if not the journey to the market could be a long one as the location could be at the other end of the island. Having said that if you want to take back any Thai ingredients for you newly honed cooking skills this is the place to buy them, locals and tourists all get the same price and it's a fraction of the price you will pay back home.

Market trip complete it's onto the cooking. The course we did was four courses and you really do learn a lot. My cooking skills are amateur at best so I would confidently say this course can be done by anyone. The chef who took the course is hilarious and sort of makes the event, it's also super relaxed and you can order drinks from the bar to enjoy all the way through. Basic structure is that you cook each course in turn and then eat each one before starting on the next. Even if I do say so myself it was some of the best Thai food I've had which is more of a credit to the coaching skills of the school than my ability... At the end of the course you'll get a nice certificate that can go pride of place on the mantle piece and also all the recipes you have cooked that night.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it, you never know you just might use these newly found culinary skills when you get home.

1  Thank Sonic99
in 2 reviews
"knowledge"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

The problem for what to do for Christmas dinner was solved by an engaging and delicious Thai cooking class at Roi Thai cooking school.

Greeted with a welcome drink and a Miang Kham (Thai appetiser), taught the principles of creating balanced Thai dishes and cooked and enjoyed four different dishes which weate on the beach watching the sunset.

The chef was charming, knowledgable and spoke good English.
It was relatively expensive meal but well worth the money ( for Thailand ) .

Free transfer to and from your hotel.

1  Thank cesca703
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

We booked the evening market class at 1900 thbt each.

In the first instance you are apprehensive due to price, but it is totally worth it.

We were both collected and taken back to our hotel no issues, and had the pleasure of sharing the evening with a lovely Aussie couple, and a brother/sister from Germany.

The class itself was hosted by a eccentric Thai chef, Akappam. His tuition, knowledge and interaction with the group was great.

Class started in a Thai market and ended with cooking four dishes, each one devoured by the sea.

The night itself and what you take from it is totally worth it. If you like your food and culture this is a must.

1  Thank David B
Reviewed 26 November 2016 via mobile

After much deliberation over the multitude of cooking classes available here on Koh Lanta we were so glad to have chosen Roi Thai and especially to do the market tour.

Akkapak was amazing. Incredibly funny and passionate about food, Thai cooking and maintaining the integrity of traditional Thai cooking methods.

Probably the best Thai I've eaten, and I cooked it myself (with Akkapaks guidance of course).

1  Thank Lauzadams