“Interesting, hands-on experience”

Ranked #4 of 6 Food & Drink in Ko Lanta
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 1 April 2017

While on Koh Lanta, I went to two cooking classes: one in Saladan, and one on Klong Nin Beach, Roi Thai. Of the two, I recommend Roi Thai.
I went on a Friday, when we went to the local market to buy produce, fish, and other products. It was most educational. Our host told us about Thai food in general, ingredients, and preparation methods. It was good to see the ingredients at the market, AND to see what the chef bought for later. He also provided us with a couple of street vendor appetizers that were very nice.
Back at the cooking school, we all did everything ourselves, from cutting up the ingredients, grinding the ingredients and spices, and cooking all (except one little bit) of the food before we tasted it. I wasn't fond of the deep-fried spring rolls (a long-standing dislike), but the rest of the menu was great. The fish was exceptional.
There were only three of us in the class, one of the things that made it memorable. A previous review indicated he(?) was the only one in a class, and he was not happy. So I would recommend finding out how many are in a given class before signing up. I didn't, but I was lucky. Six or less participants should be a very good class.
I recommend this to anyone who is interested in learning about Thai cooking or wants to improve their knowledge about Thai food and its preparation.

1  Thank Bob K

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

I took the lunch course by myself as the rest of the family did not want to join me - and what did they miss! The Chef Akkapak was so nice and fun person, and he told us very good information about the ingredients of Thai kitchen. The course was very well organized (although I had to wait the pick up for 40 minutes....) and the cooking facilities were great. I think I prepared and ate the best Thai food ever - creamy Massaman curry. The flavours were just perfect. I recommend this to everybody interested in cooking. Thanks Chef!

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

We did not join the cooking class, but we walked by as it was underway in the back of the restaurant and it looked like fun! The area for the lesson looked like one of the best 'local kitchen' we saw during our travels in Thailand - looked genuine but clean and spacious. We only had diiner, they were super quick to bring a new table for us and served us with some of the yummiest thai food we had in a while. They also had a show going on with dancing and fire which was fun to watch ... even if you ll see the show around the island a few times.

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

We chose the cooking class including a visit to the local market. It started at 4.30pm in the afternoon and we were done cooking at about 9:30pm. Apart from having spent an exciting afternoon and evening, it's also good value for money.
The staff was very nice and even picked us up from our hotel, which was about 30 minutes away. After the welcome drink we visited the local market. The chef showed us around, let us taste various foods and explained everything really well.

Back at the restaurant it was time for a short break to enjoy the sunset at the beach. Shortly after it was time to cook 4 more courses, including spring rolls, soup, fish and green curry. At the end we had enough to take home and share with our friends.

I recommend this cooking class, even if you are not a chef. It's a great opportunity to spend a fun evening with friend and family while getting to know the local culture better.

2  Thank Airportibo
Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

Have been to cooking classes in thailand before. They were ok, but a bit "quickly quickly". This time the cook explained un a los of things very precisely and we spent a very funny and interesting evening. Prepare youself for 5h of cooking lessons, and do small portions... we were really sad not to be able to eat half of what we cooked.