“Great atmosphere ...OK food”
Review of Ruan Thai

Ruan Thai
Ranked #38 of 115 Restaurants in Ko Phi Phi Don
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Fine dining order by number? LOL!
Food was just OK. Wait staff was wonderful. View / atmosphere are fantastic after dark.

1  Thank SteveJames_in_SC

Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

People who is reading this, please don't even wast your time or money (very expensive) restaurant coming here.
After reading the reviews saying the food was amazing I truly trusted and got very disappointed. We've ordered pork belly, which was very chewy and not crispy and also a crab yellow dish that we couldn't finished eating. The view though is spectacular but that's about it
The Bill came and was over $140 Australian dollars for 3 main dishes, 1 bottle of wine and 1 desert. The desert was even worst, mango sticky rice (disgusting)

Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

We arrived late at the resort and after a stroll around the grounds decided to eat here. Despite not having a reservation we were fortunate enough to secure one of the many empty tables and we sat down to enjoy the view over the resort and out to sea. All was well with the world. We ordered drinks fairly quickly but waited a fair amount of time to order food. No big deal as the waitress/front of house was clearly very busy dealing with guests arriving who also hadn't booked. I would guess she turned half away despite numerous empty tables which remained empty throughout our time there but I am not here to comment on the restaurant's lack of commercial sense. Perhaps they only had one chef on that night.
And so the food arrived and we ate. Nothing sensational but nothing bad either, although it was brought to the table by possibly the most sour faced of waitresses who didn't raise a smile all evening. I think I'm right in saying most people eating out appreciate it, especially when service charge is automatically charged to the bill, if the waiting staff are polite and courteous. Not so here unfortunately.
Anyhow the reason this place gets one star and not three is the fact I got food poisoning. It's ok though as when I mentioned it to the front desk, when I was well enough to leave the bathroom some 36 hours later, they took 250THB off my bill. Incredibly generous given it ruined 2 out of my 4 days at the resort.
Go here at your peril.

2  Thank mrfastidious
Reviewed 14 December 2016

The best thai restaurant, located inside the Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, is, indeed, the only good restaurant inside the resort, being located on the hillside of the village ,with really nice view.

You can find a lot of different dishes, from fish to rice and meat. Food is medium spicy and very well prepared and presented.

Recommended.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

Lovely unusual teak building houses this restaurant - felt very intimate and friendly. Food was excellent and authentic. You can get a hotel golf cart there if you don't want to walk the short distance from the rest of the hotel