“Paradise!”

Phi Phi The Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Phi Phi The Beach Resort is a gem of a resort. If you are reading this then make sure you book it. Seriously. It has the best views on Phi Phi and is enough distance from the town so not to be bothered by the noise coming from all the party goers.
Rooms: We had Room 2205 however any on this row is fine, 2204, 2203 etc. All the rooms are a separated bungalow style. Thai wood and not thatched. This row of rooms is just enough of a stair climb but the view is superb and represents their advertising perfectly. The room has its own toilet and outside shower (with roof/walls and has open windows for a natural breeze and view. The bed is super comfy and be quick to pick the side with the side table. I lost out to my wife. There are tea/coffee making facilities and an in room safe. Use it for peace of mind, however we had no reason to feel unsafe. The bed looks out onto one of the best views I have ever seen. The balcony doors open up onto a decking that your camera will go wild on. You can see Phi Phi Ley (The Beach Movie) island and all the limestone cliffs of Phi Phi Don. The water is turquoise, the breeze is gentle and sunsets make you glad to be alive. The air conditioner is a little underpowered and the only real complaint I have, but its manageable. Draw the curtains when you leave is a good tip. They have silver foil backing on them. The door to the shower should be locked from the inside when leaving or sleeping, just for added security. DO NOT BOOK A ROOM BELOW this line as the view will be impeded by the line of trees. People in the cheaper rooms are disappointed.
Facilities: There is a beach bar with Happy Hour from 4 - 6 pm. The drinks are all reasonably priced and try the Vanilla Milkshake. OMG its heaven! You can play or chat to the staff at the bar and everyone smiles. In the evening you can sit under the palms at spaced evenly dining tables. The lights above illuminate the area with a relaxing ambience. The menu will suit all tastes and it isn't expensive. On the side there is a fire dance area with beach deck chairs to lay in to watch the show. Through the day this area is available for lunches and has sufficient shade from the sun. Facing the water and to the right is another bar, independently run from the hotel but shared as a service desk for water tours, snorkel equipment etc. I will chat about this later. Breakfast is served near the check in area and it's a buffet style. Comprehensive and will suit most people. There is a separate chef to cook your scrambled eggs etc.
Arrival: To get to this resort is easy. Once you get off the main ferry from Phuket a guy with a sign of the resort will be standing halfway down the pier. He will have your name most likely on a guest list, mine having my First Name! They will put your luggage into a long boat and the trip to the end of the point and the resort is only 10 minutes in fairly calms waters. Have your cameras ready for some photos of the resort, water and boat crew. They will take your bags to the resort check in and will use their golf buggy to get you to the room. Also the trip back is free of charge.
Tours and Taxis: At the front beach bar you can arrange various tours. The one we chose is the cheapest. 1200 Bt. This trip goes to Phi Phi Ley where the movie The Beach was filmed. Make sure you go to this island and go early in the morning. Unfortunately too many tour companies go there from Phuket and is overcrowded but as I currently live in China it's not that overcrowded for me. The tour is 3 hours and you have your own personal skipper and Long Boat. Try to go on a sunny day as the photography is unparalleled. To land on the island beach (and yes do this) it costs 200 Bt. per person. Have this in cash and the ranger patiently waits for you to come ashore. Take a few photos of the long boats as it makes a great wall photo for the future. Walking thru to the other side of Maya Bay you will pass the area which was in the movie. You will recognise the place as where Leonardo was hiding from the bad guys in the large beach flax. Take a few snaps. There is a small wooden depiction of the movie set on one of the tracks otherwise there is nothing else that resembles the movie. It had to reshaped back to its original state and the tsunami made sure there wasn't any resemblance to the movie after it swept through this area. Still it is well worth the visit. Many people clamber the stairs at the end to view the coral and turquoise sea at below. Later your skipper will go there for some snorkelling. After about an hour, maybe a swim take off again to the other side to do some snorkelling. This is fantastic and well worth the effort. I love to snorkel all around the world and this is an above average place. Some coral is damage but there is plenty of fish by your hands and schools of fish dancing a metre from your mask. Magnificent to say the least. Tell your skipper to miss out the next stop and remain in this bay longer. The 3rd stop is not worth the effort and is a bay on the island where all the Phuket tours go for their passengers to swim. Don't snorkel here. The 3 hour journey is enough and we timed it to perfection. 300 Bt extra per hour if you go longer.
Snorkelling: Take your own mask and snorkel. Use the internet to learn how to find the best set to suit your face and just hire the fins (flippers) when you go to the island. We hired the fins for the duration of the stay just to ensure I had the right foot size the whole time. This is a good tip and suggest you do this. its only 50Bt a day. You can hire a vest for those that are a little nervous in the water but try and practice in a pool before you get to the island. The rocks out from the main resort are fine to view fish. On the left side half way down you will see clown fish (Finding Nemo) swimming as a pair in a sea anemone. On the right side it is easier there are less bommies to navigate around. make sure you snorkel at high or middle tide. Low tide is too shallow to get around all the rocks and unless you are experienced you will have difficulty with the swell to prevent coral scratching your belly or leg. My wife had never snorkelled before but I taught her in a pool for 30 minutes ion Phuket. She had no difficulty.
The Town: Don't walk into town. The road can be muddy if it rains and poorly lit at night. Take a boat (taxi) 100 Bt. per person. The town is a typical town that backpackers love. Bars, restaurants and loud music. I used to be one but as I am older this scene is no longer for me. There are some supermarkets in the town for the extra nibbles for your stay. We didn't like the town much but it does have that Caribbean feeling about it. You can also walk to the other side of the island. Lots of souvenir shops and tour operators. I suggest that it's not that important to go there unless you are seeking some of the opposite sex and a revellers evening.
All in all this is one of the best locations I have ever been to. I would suggest any person going to this island to go for at least 3 days and a maximum of 5 like we did. If you stay longer you might forget to go home. A class resort and will outstrip any expensive resorts for location, service and facilities. It is Value for Money.

Room Tip: The last day they will sting you 400 Bt per person as it's not included in the specials packages...
5  Thank mikeinmelbourne
Write a ReviewReviews (1,483)

Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

This place is unbelievable, which you will immediately realize when your longtail boat pulls up to the front! You literally have your own little bungalow that is surrounded in windows overlooking the most beautiful blue water of the Adaman sea as well as Phi phi ley island (from the movie the beach). Not to mention your own personal balcony!! Having coffee on the bacony overlooking the ocean=amazing. Actually I wake up every morning to the sound of the waves crashing on shore and I literally can't wait to open the curtains! It has awesome outdoor showers too. Don't get me wrong though, it's not fancy but it has everything you need- the best beach on phi phi(great snorkeling), good beach bar, incredible views, cleanliness, good customer service and nice staff!! Breakfast was very good too!

Make sure you book a room with a seaview!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I have just returned from a 4 night break at the above hotel we found it absolutely stunning the view incredible .
when we arrived hotel staff were there to greet us in the rain as the sea was rough(we couldnt get a long tail boat normal mode of transport ) we had a 10 minute walk to a pick up truck waiting for us to carry us to the resort across the mountain.
On arrival simple check in then as we had a top notch villa it overlooked the bay we were taken to our room on a electric golf cart to save the legs and this was to be every time we wanted to go to our room .
As i had told the resort that it was our 25th wedding aniverssary we were stunned by the array of flowers decorateing our bed on arrival .
rooms more than adequate lovely balcony ex views .
I have read people knocking the breakfast i dont no what people expect for breakfast but there was more choice than you could possible require so excellent there .
nice bar overlooking the sea and this is also where you can pick up a longtail boat into town normal price 200 baht for 2 people i would definately recommend this resort as the location is stunning and away from the crowds .
one day we even had monkeys on the balcony
staff excellent

Room Tip: go for the view ask for the top level villas
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Dear hotel Manager,

I hope you can read this review someday, which I seriously doubt since you didn´t read none of the 11 emails I wrote you before traveling asking for basic references (how to get from the pier to the hotel, etc).
I´m pretty disappointed about the quality of your hotel.
You should know that your guest´s experience with your hotel starts from the minute they book a room. So if they ask you for references, or booking confirmation, you should at least answer the emails. That first basic assistance can make all the difference.
Then regarding the hotel infrastructure, I must tell you that a U$S150 room must at least have:
- clean and fuzzy towels
- towel hangers in the bathroom
- curtains (...yes... curtains)
- pillow covers without holes
- sheets without holes and stains
- no cockroaches walking around the room
- no cats walking on your tables during dining
- enough toilet paper, and at least double sheet paper (this paper couldn’t complete a single lap without breaking)
- a new shampoo mini bottle and soap every day (this shampoo bottle has been refilled at least 100 times, the hotel logo is already erased and it has a thick chunk of dry soap on its neck... and I think you forgot refilling it yesterday...)
- new sleepers, not used by previous guest as these ones (it´s better not to put sleepers at all)
Also, I would recommend you to put a small boat as a courtesy shuttle to the town at specific hours so your guests can enjoy the island without having to bargain each time the overpriced taxi boats anchored at your pier.
On the other hand, not everything is bad, you have a nice staff, most personnel were very kind, and you have probably one of the best locations on the island, don´t throw this to waste!
Here is my recommendation:
- Fix all these simple issues and turn your hotel into a nice 4 stars hotel, I´m sure most guest would be glad to pay the 150 bucks per night.
- or leave it like this and lower your fares. Your rooms are not much better than the bungalows next door on the same beach, which are less than half your price.
I´m writing this review from room 108, if you read it before I leave I would be more than glad to chat with you and give you more useful feedback (I don´t see any reason why you should read this soon if you didn´t read your guest´s emails in more than 4 weeks). Anyway, reading reviews daily, in social networks, blogs and tripadvisor will also help you improve your service. I hope this is useful for you.
Best regards,
EP

3  Thank Eduardo P
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The location was just amazing! we enjoyed the beach a lot. The rooms were clean and nice and the view was great. The bearkfast wasn't the best, but dinner andm lunch at the restaurant were very good. The only thing was that it was very difficult to get there. The ferry put us off about 20-30 min walk from the hotel and we had to walk through the jungle with suitcases which wasn't a lot of fun...

Room Tip: Make sure someone picks you up from the ferry.