“Very disappointed with location”

Phi Phi The Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I booked this hotel online after reading many many reviews from Phi Phi island hotels.
I was expecting some issues but not as I faced.
First of all, location is terrible. Dont get me wrong. It is a beautiful place but my room was up to the hill. I was on vacation and didnt want to do trekking all the way to my room every time! 15 minutes walking up to the room and many employees from hotel passed by me and never asked if I want a ride up.
Second, it is very far from center. They say it is a 30 minutes walk but actually it is one hour and believe me, it is a terrible "road". You need to escalate mountain, stairs made by tree roots, mud and mosquitos. If it is during day light, it is ok, but as I was alone, long tail boat riders refused to take me back at night as they dont want to "lose" money taking only me, even though I offer to pay for two people, they just say "walk back". It doesnt matter that it was dark and it was in the middle of the jungle, they dont care. And in my opinion, also hotel doesnt care as they dont have a boat to help their visitors getting back knowing that this situation happens. I didnt mind paying by it, but hotel should, at least, had one boat to help.
And third, expect your bags to be thrown evey where during boat ride to get to hotel and back to pier.
I regretted many times staying here because I felt trapped.
There are many other hotels near the pier which are a better option.
Said that, I also had to face a cockroach in my bed one night. But as I said, all hotes have this problem (not that I liked it).
Breakfast is good.
Restaurant also serve a good food.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank LuNavarro
PPThebeach, Manager at Phi Phi The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear LuNavarro,
First of all I feel very pained and sorry reading your review that you didn't like our location, we are very careful to indicate in every websites our map, and many other reviewers mention as well about our geo-localisation. We are located on Long Beach, which is at 2km distance to the center, there are 2 roads to reach the village, 1 across the mountain is the longest and hard one, and another along the beach and with a pathway in the forest which take 30 minutes.
I am surprised to read that taxi boats refused to bring you back to our resort as we have everyday guests using them. The only situation they could refuse is in case of waves or very low tide, this for the safety of the passenger of course.
Taxi boats are independent and are external transportation as every taxi but as we are on a island here are boats. You would understand that the hotel cannot take care of the external transportation for all our guests.
We do have boat for free transfer at the check-in and the check-out and also stand by in case of emergency.
Our rooms/bungalows are build on the cliff, we have free buggy car service for our guests to reach their room anytime is needed, this from the reception area, as the same way we escort all our guests by this cars at the check-in and upon request by a call at the reception for the way room to reception.
Once more I feel sorry for not making your time unforgettable in our beach resort.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

The experience started wrong with the online booking on their website which is not an online booking at all but a message sender service on which they may reply 4 days after your request... actually we were ending our stay at the hotel when we received an answer from Wanessa... So if you are still willing to stay there after reading this just use Booking.com or any other platform.
The property is old and absolutely not luxurious as mentioned on their website. The bungalows are old and not well maintained, wood falling apart, no curtain in the showers, no hot water in some occasions, old cathodic TV, wifi going on and out, plastic chairs on the beach, no beach service... and so on... Pictures on their website are well Photoshoped!
The service is very disappointing again starting since the checkin where the receptionnist wins a golden star, she might be one of the rudest person I was able to meet during this trip, giving attitudes and not helpful. I believe the manager of this hotel should start training his staff from scratch, starting with explaining them that caughing and spitting on the floor is not elegant.
You have to know that you are kind of stuck in this hotel as the easiest way to reach the town is by taxi boat and it will cost you each way 100 TBH during the day and 150 TBH per person after 6.30pm. We found out the last day we could reach the town walking but of course they never mentioned that to us upon arrival, anyway it is only worth it if you are into a muddy walk with no lights, that is maybe the adventurous glimpse you can get which is also mentioned on their website.
Now knowing that, of course prices at their restaurant are way overrated (250 TBH a chicken curry, 200 TBH for spring rolls...). Neither quality nor quantity are there. The restaurant closes at 11pm with a last order at 10.15pm. During our 2 last diners, employees wanted to leave so they just turned off ALL LIGHTS while we were still sitting finishing our beers at 11.02pm the first time and 10.57pm second time. Don't stay here if you want to relax, if you expect to feel special, if you want to feel like home and treated... again absolutely no customer service and lack of training.
In terms of facilities, beach is nice but the furniture is not up to scale, the swimming pool is very very small, common areas can be dirty (including the beach sand with some broken glasses, plastic...).
If you need an extra beach towel you will have to pay 50 TBH, if you want to hire some snorkel equipment you will have to leave a deposit of 100 TBH, each time you want to charge your room with a drink or food you have to show your room key, if you decide to pay your room at the end they will keep your passport... you will feel so trusted!
After 4 nights spent there we asked for the possibility of a late checkout, instead of 11am we asked to be able to spend 2 more hours and leave at 1pm (at that time one of the 2 only free shuttle a day leaves the hotel to the pier), our lovely receptionnist told us it was ok... if we wanted to pay 200 TBH per hour... it is low season and the hotel is empty. Again no customer attention at all.
But guess what? At 10.50am the phone rings. Friendly reminder that the checkout is at 11am! 5 minutes later the cleaning lady is on the terrace knocking at the door pressuring us to leave on the spot and the bell boy screaming "Hello, hello, checkout! Luggage, luggage!". This is exactly the way to make you feel home and special, isn't it?
"I hope you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again!" Well, no... and no! But we didn't have to answer that as they didn't care about that at the checkout. Again real lack of service and training....

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
PPThebeach, Manager at Phi Phi The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Mr. Jacques H.,
Firstly I would like to apologize if you had some issue with one of our receptionist, I will meet this department without delay to make sure about their way to answer to not be seems rude.
I feel very pained reading your complaints about our resort and services that seems went wrong on all your stay. Some of the points you mentioned are not really objective and I would like to give some explanations following your comments as it impossible to track your reservation with a pseudo on TripAdvisor.
You did mentioned that you book on our website without answer until the end of your stay but it appear that your reservation was made as we didn't received any complaint about booking not recorded.
Most of our guests who book directly with us pay the room at the check-in or via PayPal, in theses case the passport is never kept by our receptionist and we just make a photocopy. In case a guest request to pay at the check-out, we inform that we will keep the passport as guaranty, it happened from the past some people left without pay their stay. Of course this is only with the agreement of the guest.
Even on low season, our occupancy is good, even fully booked some weeks with an average 30 to 40 check-ins and check-outs daily, the rooms need to be re-made and this is the reason the check-out time is at 11am for a new check-in at 2pm. A late check-out is subject to a fee as you mentioned. In case you didn't agree for the fee, our reception will give a call in room at the check-out time. On any case we would never send the bellboys to scream at your door!
Concerning the maintenance of your bungalow, in case of any issue we would change your room right away upon request, 90% of our rooms had been renovated from the outside to the inside and the left 10% are almost done.
We do not have curtain shower as our shower rooms are on Thai style (spacious as well), otherwise our superior room with a smaller bathroom have a separated glass.
We also have a Maintenance team available anytime if you had hot water problem with a simple call at the reception.
Available maps of the island are at the reception for our guests, also the counter tours can provide all information about our area.
We are very careful about the quality and freshness of our food and we are daily delivered from the main land, there is no supplier in the island and even the market practice higher prices as everything in imported from Phuket and Krabi. This of course has a cost. I am surprised reading your comment about the quantity as we serve generous portions.
Our Beach Restaurant close at 11pm as we inform at the check-in and our Let's Sea Bar still open until we have guests staying, our bar will close at the latest at 1am.
We also have many customers coming from the next door resorts and for the safety of the guests we request the key to be shown if sign the bill on the room. I am sure you wouldn't like to be charged for some items that random customers would put on your room without verification from our staff.
We provide daily free beach towels in rooms and as you mentioned, extra beach towel are charged 50 bath, this is the cost of the laundry, this is not to make profit, but to reduce usage of too many towels in the ecological way.
I would like to thank you about the way to train our staff to not split on the floor and usually Thai people are educated enough to not do it.
On Long Beach, we are the only resort to provide beach chairs for our guests, our team cleans the beach every early morning and at the end of the afternoon. Our restaurant is located on the beach and provide full service, following your comment I hope we will have a service at the beach chairs is a near future.
Once more, I am very sorry that your stay went wrong and I hope my answer will help to explain so fact happened. I would be very grateful if you could send me an email for us to have a better track of your stay.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for just one (1) night and was very disappointed with the conditions of the rooms. The mattress was old and extremely hard. The pillows smelled like sweat from previous guests, the bathroom had mold growing everywhere (see pictures) and looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. The hotel’s free wifi service was not good, as I had to reconnect at least twice per hour. It is true the hotel has a great location (right in front of Long Beach), but seems I was sacrificing too much comfort and cleanliness for it. Wouldn’t recommend a stay here until they upgrade their facilities.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ramonxu
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for two nights. I had a hard time searching for a hotel in this town because we only had a few days to stay and didn’t want to be secluded, neither wanted to be in the party zone, so I was very happy with the location, because you’re just 10 minutes by boat to the pier, and downtown, and at the same time you are away from the noise and party happening downtown. We book the frontview villa. The room is cozy, like a little cabin, the best feature is the awsome view and we also like the shower, in the night they offer a warm environment, with lights and music, great service from the guys in the bar area specially from Sakay from Myanmar

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
PPThebeach, Manager at Phi Phi The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Cris V.,
Thank you very much for choosing Phi Phi The Beach Resort, we are pleased that you had a great time with us and our resort was perfectly match your needs and as well per our location.
Please be sure that I will pass your nice comments to my team at the bar and to Mr. Sakay.
We look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

stayed here for 8 days and the view never got old.. the free breakfast was fresh and offered a variety of goodies.. staying in a bungalow with a view has its perks however climbing the steep steps everyday a few times a day sure got to you, the resort does offer a bell boy to drive you to your room.. we bought citronella for our bathroom from the pharmacy in town since the shower is partially out doors and we didn't seem to have any issues. getting to and from town was tricky they said you can walk the beach but it does get a little rocky.. the bar by breakfast does have 100bht long tail boat rides to the pier 730-630 (link up with one so you can call him and have him pick you up at the pier when you're ready to come back) the dinner was good a little pricey but we got the salmon steak 3 nights in a row!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank martine g
PPThebeach, Manager at Phi Phi The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Dear Martine g.,
Thank you very much for choosing Phi Phi The Beach Resort. We are pleased that you had a good time with us and we look forward to see you again soon.