All reviews tree house mr patrick fish snorkel tour water taxi small boat spent a week clams lunch and dinner guru paya reef genting jungle rocks malaysia beach
Reviewed 21 July 2018

Small resort with 20 rooms, extremely friendly staff from the resort GM Mr Patrick Hedderman, Lydia (his wife), Emma reception, Dian, Ika (Sabahan), Italian Chef, Islo (I hope his name is correct) & Guru. I had a wonderful time and I was accommodate in Suite room with basic facilities, spacious room, comfortable bed, hot & cool shower & give me an island feel with delicious food by Chef for bfast, lunch & dinner.
Resort focus on environment & personalise service !
Keep it your good service Melina team !

Room tip: 5 unit Suite room sea view
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank sabri_DBJ9133
Reviewed 15 July 2018

We took Cataferry to Tioman and we did the right decision. The ferry was on time and fast, it took us 1hr 30 mins to reach Paya pier. From Paya pier, Melina boat shuttle is there waiting for us ( small boat with No:1) pick up us. All was smooth.

Check- in:
We got upgraded to a family room which is a tree house with 2 separate rooms. We appreciate the initiative the reservation took but we later requested to change to our initial booking which is the beach front standard room.
We stayed at room: Starfish.

Entire 5 nights stay:
We like the entire concept of the resort, for me especially the Butterfly garden. That was stunning. Do sit at the garden if you got the time and soak in.
The reception didn't inform us about the dining package only until I was asked from one of the restaurant staff. Then it made me wonder, is there something I missed out. Nevertheless it's not a small issue.
We enjoyed our simple room that is right smack in front of the beach. Everyday we will go the beach, sit at the beach cabana, have afternoon tea at our room balcony and repeat back. That's the kind of holiday you can get at Melina.
We also did snorkeling nearby, the kids love playing the sand and the swng. We also walked along the shore one morning to visit Genting village. It was lovely.

Food experience:
The restaurant head chef is an Italian, do note that there are breakfast, lunch and dinner timings. They will prepare their dinner menu beforehand and require you to place order before dinner. At first I thought that's stressful as I'm on a holiday, why I need to do this planning. But after first day, I understand why they function in such manners.
I love all the Italian cuisine served there. The pesto lasagna, spinach lasagna, pizzas (lots of varieties) and our kids love the tomato pasta (they ordered it every night).
Thumbs up to the chef and crew for the amazing food and manage to prepare a last minute order from me. We will definitely talk about your food everytime we think of Tioman.

Overall: On our last day my husband was ill, he had a gout attack and had trouble walking. We got to check out and ferry was at 2pm. The hotel staff & reception assisted us by arranging a boat to send us to the nearby clinic quickly so my husband get help. We want to say "Thanks a million" to the hotel manager, staff (Dee) & restaurant staff (Ika & Ezo) for your kind help and hospitality you have made our holiday a memorable one. We greatly appreciate it & definitely will talk about Melina and will plan for our return.

Room tip: Beachfront rooms
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Chillclouds
Reviewed 13 June 2018

If you want rooms that give off a 'tropical feel' with wood paneled walls and trees/boulders in the room itself then this is the hotel for you. The room I stayed in, Cowrie, had 1 bunk bed, 2 single bed with an additional double bed. Great for if you are staying with a group of people. The bathroom itself was simple and not exciting, apart from the tree protruding from the middle. When staying here, we wary of various wildlife which may enter your room (it's part of the hotel's charm). Monkeys, cats, lizards, the resident dog, and cats are all scattered across the area. The beach itself is private and quiet with good quality sand and clear water. Whilst on this trip, a few people did beach surveys at night where they were lucky enough to see sharks, octopi, and crabs whilst standing in the shallow water. there are also great trekking opportunities around the area to be taken advantage of. Be prepared to have minimal WIFI and basic food but the staff there are friendly.

Room tip: A beach room has great access to the beach and is worth it
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank PoppyG59
pjhtiomanPaya, General Manager at Melina Beach Resort Pulau Tioman Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Dear Poppy G,
Thank you for posting your review, we are delighted you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again in the future.
Best regards,
Patrick.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

We were 11 to 13 May 2018, with 3 adults and 3 children in the resort, and lived in a standard chalet on the beach.
Shuttle service to and from the ferry terminal:
On arrival the service was unfortunately not possible, since no boat was available, they recommended a water taxi. Travel time <10 min for the price of 30 €. On departure, we were taken to a more distant jetty, split into 2 trips, as the boat was too small for 6 people. The ferry then drove to the pier where we had arrived, and then again to drive to the dock where we had previously boarded. Lost time, that could have been known at the resort.
Resort:
Everything was a bit old, probably no money invested for a long time. Broken chairs, lack of color, grubby kitchen, uncomfortable LED spotlights or neon lights, sometimes too bright, sometimes too dark, no precautions against mosquitoes, bumpy and little-lit trails, I disliked it more as a 2 m snake crossed our way during the day.
Accommodation:
The „Frigate Bird" chalet was totally dilapidated. Plexiglas panes barely offered a view, a stained sofa with holes, an old, inappropriate Persian carpet that was a biotope, torn balcony door lock, escaped toilet brush holder, loose toilet lid, dirty drains, a shower hose conglomerate, dirty chrome parts, a mirror in which you only see your chest, no mosquito nets for the children bed, cockroaches in the bathroom and cobwebs on the blankets.
Ambiance:
Very nice location, clean beach, mostly in the water stones (surf shoes or similar recommended), quite neatly integrated into the lush vegetation.
Breakfast:
Toast, cheese, butter, tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, orange nectar, instant coffee and tea.
Lunch:
Pizza, fried rice that was not fried and barely contained meat, as well as spaghetti only for children, little choice and with up to 10 € per dish very expensive.
Dinner:
Two dishes to choose from, which had to be ordered after breakfast. Cartilaginous lamb, twice killed fish and an acceptable curry. Since the kids did not eat much, the adults were also full. Drinks were expensive for Malaysia, prices as in Germany.
Staff:
Visibly tried, with small mistakes, but mostly very nice, the dog was a flea circus, the cat with four babies very popular with the children.
Service:
Powder coffee and tea free, WLAN only directly in the reception area, cigarettes were not available, the massage area little inviting and with 40 € per hour also very expensive, towels for the ailing beach chairs were not provided, the entrainment of the towels from the room but tolerated.
Leisure offers:
Snorkelling as a boat trip and free snorkelling on your own beach, unfortunately everything was dead and only little fish.
No go:
On the day of departure, the rooms were to leave at 11:00 clock, with an occupancy of max. 25%, we have asked for an extension until 15:00 clock, because the ferry goes only at 16:00 clock, unfortunately not possible. So we sat from 11:00 clock on the suitcases, beach and swimming was no longer possible, because showering was impossible, as neither a change of clothes. We were offered to shower on the beach, I wanted to do that naked and with the use of shower gel, it was not so great.
Conclusion:
Investing in something, improving service, adjusting prices and revising the menu would make it a really great hideaway. I do not know where the people with the great reviews were, we had the most expensive rooms and if they are, I do not want to see the rest. Other guests who had spent a week there with children, the opinion was that is more than enough. For me, a Backpacker Plus Resort, which are on the alternative touch and find the supposed eco-thoughts great. Eco with plastic windows, beverage cans, hot water by electricity, air conditioning in rooms where between the wall and floor boards great columns, I think that is just not very ecological. Prices like a 4 star resort, everything else max. 2 stars, the pictures on the net showing what it used to look like years ago or Photoshop did a good job.

Room tip: We had the most expensive Beach Chalet "Frigatebird" it was horrible, I don't want to know what the rest looks like.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Jürgen H
pjhtiomanPaya, General Manager at Melina Beach Resort Pulau Tioman Malaysia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Dear Jurgen,
Thank you for posting your review, although we are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
On the specific points you raise I can comment as follows:

Boat Transfer on arrival day.
We operate a complimentary boat transfer from Paya to the resort. This is clearly stated on Booking.com (through whom you made your reservation) and also on our web site.
Unfortunately you got off the ferry in Genting and we do not operate a complimentary shuttle from there.
Bedrooms
You had 2 rooms, a beachfront Standard and a Beachfront chalet. You found the chalet in particular lacking for your comfort and felt it was old and in need of refurbishment. The chalets are now three years old and they do get ongoing regular maintenance.
We use Plexiglass rather than actual glass in our rooms primarily for safety reasons . When building accommodation our objective is to limit as much as possible any long term damage to the environment, hence they are all built from timber, some incorporate trees in their structure, some large rocks. All have shallow foundations. Because of this building style the rooms are prone to occasional movement during Monsoon and bad storms, if we used regular glass there is a danger it could break and ruin the beach. A disadvantage of Plexiglass is its reaction to bug spray, the stain you mention on the glass in your room is caused by this, we regularly need to change panels when they are so damaged.
It is clear that there were some deficiencies in comfort and housekeeping during your stay, had you have mentioned these at the time we could have moved you to another chalet or immediately addressed the shortcomings, it is never our intention to provide poor housekeeping to our guests.
Restaurant
Your reservation included breakfast and dinner.
Breakfast offers a selection of juices, fruits, breads , cerials and your choice of egg dishes which are prepared freshly and served to you. I do not know why you did not avail of the hot food choice offered.
Dinner on the package is any 2 courses from the daily menu, you can choose your 2 courses from the menu which offers starters, main courses and dessert.
It is not unusual for our guests to request special foods and if asked for, within reason, we are happy to oblige. Again it is a pity you did not raise this at the time when we could have assisted you.
Resort Animals.
We have a resident dog who is popular with our guests, you may have seen some previous guest reviews where she (Maggie) is mentioned. She, along with our cats are regularly visited by the vet and none of them suffer from and illness of infestations. If guests express their discomfort with our animals we are always prepared to remove them for the duration of the visit. Had you have requested this we would have removed the animals.
We keep these animals as they are a good deterrent to wild unwelcome creatures from the jungle directly behind the resort.
Spa.
Treatments in the on site spa start from 150 MYR per hour, this is in line with local competition.
Beach Towels
We provide Shower and Beach Towels in the bedrooms, extra towels are always available on request.

Snorkelling
There is a long reef in front of the resort which offers a reasonable selection of sea life, we provide complimentary snorkel gear for all of our guests. We also arrange day trips to other snorkel sites daily and these can be reserved through reception ranging in price fro MYR 75 upwards depending on the destination.
Your Reservation
I note that you reserved through Booking.com on May 10 and stayed on May 11&12, I don’t know if you took the time to fully check what the resort offers either through the information provided on that site or more appropriately on our own web site. I always encourage guests to fully research the resort before booking as it is not attempting to be anything other than what it is and we try very hard to get our concept across.
The Island offers a whole range of resort and hotel experiences; I suspect our concept was not ideal for your requirements.
I hope the above is helpful in addressing your complaint, I am sorry we did not deliver our usual service in some areas but I thank you for highlighting this in order to facilitate on going staff training.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Whilst travelling with a friend in Malaysia last October we stayed for a week at Melina Beach Resort & loved everything about the resort! The location is beach front with the rainforest/jungle as the backdrop. We stayed in a beach chalet that had double glass sliding doors opening onto a balcony which had stunning ocean views - we were right on the beach. The resort staff were super friendly, helpful & really just wanted us to enjoy ourselves. They have day trips available & we were able to go on a snorkelling trip around the island. There is also a reef off the front of the resort where we were lucky enough to see a turtle! The chef also produced some of the most delicious food that we've ever had & catered for vegetarians with multiple vegetarian options on the menu. Would definitely go back!

Date of stay: April 2018