“Simply a brilliant dive instructor!”
Review of Scuba Guru

Scuba Guru
More attraction details
Owner description: Independent scuba diving instructor offering padi diving courses and fun dives. I provide a personal service unmatched by any of the dive centers here in Salang Bay on Tioman Island. I cater for individuals and groups, and can make arrangements to suit you personally.
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I went to Grahame for the Open Water Diver course and i didn‘t regret my decicion for a second. He is a brilliant diver and a great teacher. He gives you all the time you need for learning and practicing the skills. All his experience goes into the course so you always feel well instructed and safe. I'd dive with him again anytime.

Thank you for the great course, Grahame!

1  Thank Alex L
GrahameMassicks, Owner at Scuba Guru, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Many thanks for this review. Contributions to the Trip Advisor community and very helpful when it comes to making choices!

You were actually a very easy student to teach. Much is written about the quality of instructors as if we were the only part of what in reality is an equation. I find some people, not many but some, to be rather more difficult than you!

You were determined to complete the course in style and kept a firm grip on yourself whenever your tensions rose. I like to be scared, but I remember when I went for my Open Water I wondered if I would be able to master it.

Everyone feels a certain amount of anxiety but you managed yours and mastered all the tasks.

Well done and good luck with your diving future!

All reviews
"skills"
in 8 reviews
"hobby"

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

On my recent trip to Tioman Island I completed my open water course with Scuba Guru. The level of instruction I got got was top class. Grahame is extremely accommodating to your needs and instructs in a nice relaxed and safe way. I emailed many places looking for information and while many replied with a standard generic email Grahame went to the effort to answer all my questions and even met us off the boat when we landed to show us around and take us to our accommodation, which he had helped arrange.

When I started the course Grahame went through everything carefully and made sure I understood what was expected of me. Under the water he was very clear and patient as we went through all the skills. I would recommend getting in touch with Graham if you are considering diving on Tioman Island.

GrahameMassicks, Owner at Scuba Guru, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write this review.
I also don’t like receiving generic emails, especially when they don’t answer any specific questions I had. One size doesn’t fit all and I prefer to take a more personal approach.
The way I instruct has evolved over many years and indeed it still does. My intention is always to take the student as far along the road as they want go, and I have found that the way I teach now gets me the best results. But I am always ready to take on new ideas and try different methods and see which way gives the best results.
Good luck with your future diving, and I am glad you had a positive response to me and the course.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

Well... It is about time i write this long overdue review... haha..
It was in May 2016 when I met Grahame. It has always been my want-to-do thing about diving and so my lovely wife went and got me a diving course. She found Grahame online and asked me if I am good to go. After reading the reviews about Grahame, I decided that this is a good choice to learn my diving....
Fast-Forward to 2017.. I finished my Dive Master course with Grahame in May 2017.
And in August, I have completed my IDC and now am a PADI diving instructor, following on in the footsteps of my mentor - Grahame.
I guess this is as good a review as it gets.
I would not thought about changing my choice of an instructor even if given another chance to go back to May 2016. And I would not have done the change in my life if it had been another instructor that taught me from day 1.
I don't think i have to say much more as the other reviews had said how good he is.
I just want to say a very big THANK YOU!

GrahameMassicks, Owner at Scuba Guru, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Hi Bryan, many thanks for getting fingers to keyboard and posting this review!
Congratulations on achieving your Instructor certification!
As you have seen with a few of the courses that you have helped me with the attributes of the student are critical to results of the course. You bought an enthusiasm and desire to learn that made you a real pleasure to teach. You also have great social skills that people of all ages and backgrounds respond to. What I found that is most unusual is that you had an innate understanding of divemastering which was obvious as soon as you had passed your Advanced course and came back with friends of yours for me to teach.
It was also a delight to watch your understanding and appreciation of the marine environment grow as you learned more about it.
To cap it all we had some wonderful dives together! Two stick out in particular. The day we dived Salang Jetty, always a fascinating dive and then went over to watch the cuttlefish mating and laying their eggs and passing three individual turtles was fantastic. And of course you were so lucky to be there when we found and rescued the turtle trapped in the fishing net! Diving doesn’t get much more rewarding than that!
I am sure that you will go on to be an excellent instructor yourself and wish you all the best in your new career.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Learned by the book and beyond, felt safe all the time, enjoyed diving with Scuba Guru... Would recommend to anybody seeking experience and professionalism in scuba diving. At the same time, Salang (Tioman) is a great place with lovely people and best food.

GrahameMassicks, Owner at Scuba Guru, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Many thanks for your review and kind words Emir!

Safety is always paramount – this is a recreation and is supposed to be fun, but you can’t enjoy if you don’t feel safe! PADI is very good in this regard and we are actually trained to be conservative in our judgement and actions. I also like to emphasise to students that the rules and procedures also apply when you are fun diving and not simply for the duration of the course!

Salang is a jewel! Although the village is a resort it does not force sell at all. The fact that there is no road adds to the laid back feel of the place. And the food is great with a good selection of spots to choose from.

So congratulations to my first student from Bosnia! Come back and visit us soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 August 2017

We're a family of 5 pursuing our diving license and he made the almost impossible possible! Grahame had amazing patience and professionalism throughout our course, especially for my parents who are hitting their 50s.

We were originally only doing our open water course but after 4 days of great learning from Grahame, we decided to extend a few more days to do the advance course as well. Even my mum who has no swimming experience was confident in Grahame and finished her course with us! (i think that says it all)

1  Thank sherminho_
GrahameMassicks, Owner at Scuba Guru, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Hi Sher Min,

That was quit an event teaching your family to dive! I posted a photo of you guys on social media and one of my friends who is a very experienced diver was amazed that a family could go so far together!

It just goes to show that this sport can be enjoyed by the whole family!

It gets harder to learn new things as you get older, so you and your brothers found it much easier than you parents. But they got there in the end! And your Mum did really well on the swim test for someone who is not a confident swimmer.

Mant thanks for taking the time and trouble to write this review. I hope to see you all again here in Salang soon. Take care!