I visited Sipadan Water Village with a large group of divers a couple of weeks ago.The lodging was nice and a relief after travelling so far to Malaysia. This part of the world has a unique approach to accomodations by building interconnected bungalows over shallow lagoons. Several resorts in the area are built this way. Everything is built over the water including the dive shop, boat docks, gift shop, and dining room. Make sure you hang onto your belongings walking to and from each area! The have a profusion of potted tropical plants all along these boardwalks, like bougainvillas, to enjoy. The staff worked hard to please, from greeting you as your boat taxi from Semporna arrived, to the resort staff fulfilling your needs, to the dive staff helping with your gear on/off the boats. A few of the bungalows even have a/c now, though it struggled somewhat as the bungalows weren't initially built airtight. Sandals are a must midday walking on the boards, and they even provide sun-brellas in each room to fend off the heat walking to and fro. And there is a lot of walking involved so a room closer to the dining/diving is to be considered! The food was varied and plentiful if sometimes "different", and if your boat got you back halfway thru lunch they could run out of some things. The dive shop had their assignment system down with many boats departing simultaneously yet smoothly. Everyone got to make the special trip to Sipadan island several times, as well as to another island that was just a bit further away. The macro diving close to the resort was splendid, tho the visibility could be challenging due to full moon, tides, etc. The dive masters went out of their way to take me out on three different evenings so I could finally snap pix of the elusive Mandarin fish doing their little dance. Priceless! They took into account your skill level and most pointed out many things to see, knowing where to find critters. All in all it was a great resort with great people and great diving.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sipadan Water Village is a resort built entirely over the water on stilts. In its design, Sipadan Water Village has achieved near utopia in its layout, splendid water cottage accommodations with flowered sidewalks, wonderfully prepared Asian and Continental cuisine, and impeccable and personable service! The dive program is comparable to none as everyone at Sipadan Water Village has an attitude and passion for what the sea has to offer. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sipadan Water Village Hotel Pulau Sipadan
- Sipadan Water Village Pulau
- Sipadan Water Village Resort Pulau Sipadan, Malaysia - Sabah