SWV is a stilted resort built over crystal clear waters with plenty of fish and the odd turtle swimming by. This is definitely a dive resort and although it’s attached to the island of Mabul, you’ll struggle to find much else to do other than dive or sunbathe.
We were here to dive and it was fantastic. Well run and efficient dive school which operates several boats giving you the opportunity to do 2 dives off Sipadan (about a 20 minute journey) and 1 dive off Mabul. You are also free to dive off the house reef and also do night dives. The diving at Sipadan was spectacular with amazing visibility and marine life. The diving at Mabul is macro with poor visibility but all sorts of weird and wonderful fish. The dive staff were great and would set up your kit before each dive and help you into it as well.
The accommodation at Sipadan Water Village is comfortable. Large rooms with a sun deck and loungers. The ensuite facilities are a little tired and the rooms do not have aircon. We had a sea view room which meant our sun deck got the morning sun until about 1pm. If you like to sit out in the afternoon / evening sun then ask for an island facing room (although the view is not as pleasing – there is a shabby looking fisherman’s village on Mabul island).
Drinking water is complimentary at the resort and tea / coffee and homemade cakes are available throughout the day for hungry divers.
Meals are served in a large restaurant and were of an adequate standard. If you are a foodie don’t expect anything special.
There is a bar near the main reception which serves a good range of drinks and cocktails and is a social place to have a drink after a long days diving.
All staff were friendly, helpful and efficient (as we found throughout Malaysia).
We had a fantastic time at SWV and it was definitely the highlight of our trip to Borneo. If you are looking for 5* luxury with aircon and TVs then you would probably be better off staying at the Mabul Water Bungalows next door (but expect to pay a much higher price).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sipadan Water Village is a resort built entirely over the water on stilts. In its design, Sipadan Water Village has achieved near utopia in its layout, splendid water cottage accommodations with flowered sidewalks, wonderfully prepared Asian and Continental cuisine, and impeccable and personable service! The dive program is comparable to none as everyone at Sipadan Water Village has an attitude and passion for what the sea has to offer. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sipadan Water Village Hotel Pulau Sipadan
- Sipadan Water Village Pulau
- Sipadan Water Village Resort Pulau Sipadan, Malaysia - Sabah