Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
RM 2,092
Seth E

Amazing

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 7 Apr 2024
It was amazing we saw elephants crossing the river, a wild orangutan, crocodiles and a sea eagle. Our great tour guide who was called Mohammed always got us the best view on everything. The staff we amazing and very friendly and the hospitality was amazing
Date of stay: March 2024
Restaurant
    RM 107
48.6 km from Borneo Nature Lodge
View more hotels in Sandakan
All reviews pygmy elephants the river boat driver chalet type accommodation air con nature lodge night cruise large herd insect repellent slow loris rooms are basic stayed two nights wildlife including walter tours boats borneo
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 April 2024 via mobile

Amazing experience, we had 2 nights in the lodge and a night on Turtle Island. Food was good, rooms basic but clean. The people are lovely. Special thanks to Loy, our guide for making our holiday, knowledgable and caring. He took the time to make sure we were ok at all times, quite important for 2 females on their own. Thank you l!

Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2024

I do want to share my dissatisfaction with the Borneo Nature Lodge service and miscommunication I experienced. My understanding was it seemed every other group staying there had a boatman and a guide. I was only provided a boatman. When I checked in, no one explained to me that a button needed to be pressed outside of the bathroom for hot water in the shower, which caused me to take an extremely cold shower. I was told the last evening, 30 min before the tour that I had an evening cruise and was told that my transportation would be picking me up the following day at 10am and to be ready by 9:50am. I had gotten up early to attempt to pay extra to search for the elephants, but at that time there was no available boats. I had decided to go ahead and have breakfast and make my way back to my room. At 7:40am, I got a knock on my room door that the transport has arrived. I had to take a few more minutes to get everything together. I was unaware that I needed to pay a tourism tax. So I paid and was rushed to the jetty. The transportation got me to the orangutan sanctuary at 10:30am, passed the feeding time, so I missed the orangutan sanctuary, which was really disappointing.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2024

Stayed 2 nights here .First night was with a lovely lady from Vancouver .2nd night it was just us so we got personal service.Staff were very nice.Cooked us a nice English breakfast each morning and a local evening meal..Loved arriving by boat.Lovely setting in nature of lodge.Quite Basic but fine.No wi fi in lodge just near the restaurant .Went on several boat trips on the Kinabangan river.Very lucky to see an Orangutan on first trip.Ended up seeing the Borneo big 5 plus much more with our guide Ehrmon and boat driver .A highlight was an elephant swimming right beside our boat and following it for ages till it left the water.It was like being in a nature programme.
I hope the Canadian lady sees elephant pics as tried to send her one by email but it wouldnt work.
Highly recommended.

Room tip: Use insect Repellent.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank juliesD2771EW
Reviewed 12 March 2024

I have recently (Feb 2024) spent 4 days/3 nights at BNL. They picked me up at my hotel in Sepilok and transported me to the lodge on the river. From the first moment I knew I was in good hands. The Manager Walter greeted me on arrival and gave me some info. The staff and service were exceptional. There were only 2 of us there, so it was almost a private resort. The room was delightful...clean and spacious. The food was a set menu, but always a great selection and far too much food...but delicious. My guide Jal was personable and really wanted to find me Borneo's big 5...which he did! Elephant sightings twice, rhinoceros hornbills (4), several crocodiles, 1 orangutan and loads of proboscis monkeys. A few red leaf monkeys and loads of macaques. Some of the other boats were packed with people, and I had either the boat to myself, or 1 other person. The lodge seemed to have some renovations going on, so it may get busier, as this was low season. The water level was very low, but we managed to get in to Oxbow Lake which was very pretty. There was even a group of silver leaf monkeys right beside the walkway one day. I even hired them to take me by land to Lahad Datu when my tour was over. Nothing was too much to ask. You will not be disappointed with the service and wildlife at BNL. I would highly recommend it.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank cohoqueen1
Reviewed 10 March 2024

Fabulous welcome and made to feel at home as a solo traveler. Amazing surroundings. It was very quiet when I stayed as things were just starting up again after Covid, and really appreciated the time and effort given to me while I was staying at the lodge. Great food and would definitely stay again!

Room tip: They catered beautifully for vegetarians
Date of stay: June 2023