How this place can call itself a resort is beyond me. It is a backpackers inn with a swimming pool. SJR is located along an unlit side road about 100m from the main road. There is no security gate or guard so anyone can walk straight into the place unquestioned. We arrived at 1730 just as the reception was closing. After going through the info on breakfast / location of restaurant etc the parting message was to not leave any valuables in the room at all, a bit disconcerting. We had a deluxe room with balcony in an adjoining annex, a single storey wooden dormitory style building with access each end. We parked nearby and proceded to unpack our car. To our horror neither of the entrance doors are locked, or even have locks, so are accessable to anyone 24/7. At night, the whole area around the annex is unlit and is an easy target for burglers. ( hence the statement about valuables).
Found our room, door didn't fit properly and had large gaps top and bottom and rattled in the frame. A slight shoulder push and the door would open. On entering, our fears were confirmed, the place is a dump. We were not expecting the Ritz, but this place was unacceptable. I trudged back to reception but there was nobody to contact, so, as there was little chance of alternative accommodation we decided to grin and bear it for the night. Didn't bother to unpack, decided on an early supper before doing an online search for an alternative hotel.
The whole "resort" consists of single storey wooden buildings and are spread out around a lake. They are connected via a wooden boardwalk approx 120m long which terminates at the restaurant. It was now dark and although it is illuminated, only one light was working so we walked along the boardwalk by moonlight, occassionaly tripping on uneven floorboards. The only light being a strapped up flourescent tube (pic). Had food which was ok but limited and returned to our hovel to look for alternative digs, which we found in Sandakan.
Had a restless night as bed and pillows were uncomfortable. My wife removed her pillowcase and was horrified at the state of the pillow which was foam rubber and filthy.(pic). Returned to restaurant for breakfast, and in the daylight it was shocking to see how dangerous this place actually is. Numerous broken electrical sockets / switches held together with electical tape and wires hanging out of light fittings (reason why they were not working - pics). All this on a wooden structure.
My alarm bells are ringing loud now, and saw that there are no fire extinguishers anywhere , I didn't see one at all. In our room, a lamp which was plugged in, was wired by single cores, highly dangerous, and the switch held together with selotape (pic). Bags packed, I marched back to reception and gave notice of our early departure and demanded my money returned, which it was once I produced the damning photos.
This place is really awful, the standard of accommadation poor but worse of all is the safety issues. Why any reviewer can give this place more than one star is beyond me and you have to question on whether the review is genuine or not. My review is backed up with photos.