Hotels.com
Trip.com
Travelocity
Snaptravel
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 May 2018

The first day we checked in we were given a room on 4th floor for standard twin beds. The toilet flush doesn't work. The staff came up to have a look and left the water tank cover open for us to pull the cistern to flush! No hot water from the shower. Room has ants. We asked for floor towel and was told out of stock. The next morning we requested to change room for the remaining 2 nights. We were given a room on 2nd floor with no cupboard or hangers and we requested to change again. This third room we had - the bedsheets were stained, both bedsheets and blankets have NOT been changed by the look and touch of it. The floor was very dusty. We suspect the room has just completed renovation. The shower has hot water but we had to open up the drainage to allow water to go through or else the entire shower area is like a pond - water rise until ankle. No towel rack in the bathroom. The corridor and room has a moldy smell - I have to cover nose every time when walking at the corridor. At one time the corridor smelled like kitchen after cooking. The room phone cannot be used. The TV remote control does not function.

The room is a very basic room. No cups, no kettle, no fridge, no shampoo, there is a soap dispenser, bath towels provided, a small dressing table with mirror, a/cond is cold. The hotel is perhaps in an old building and away from town. It is probably the only big business operator at the building as the other shops were all closed and seems unoccupied. There are 2 grocery stores nearby, 1 halal eatery & 1 chinese eatery. We did not eat there.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2017

Stayed here 1 night and it was good. Nice staff in reception, wifi was good. Air condition was cold and easy to use. It is 10 min to Sandakan town and the restaurants around are very chep.
I would stay here again if I ever go back.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2017

For the price, this hotel is a good place to stay for a budget backpacker like me. The location, however, is a bit far from the city centre so it’s not very convenient. Luckily, you can book a Grab car directly through your phone app or ask the front desk to call you a taxi, which makes it easier to get around. There’s really nothing in the area where this hotel is located so no need to walk around here. It’s best to go to the city center for food & shopping. There’s one Chinese restaurant across the hotel, but they don’t speak English and the food is not very good. As for the room, I stayed in a Standard Room for 3 nights. For the price, this was great value. It’s quite big, but it did smell funny/moldy and on my last night, the bathroom sink plumbing started leaking a lot – I notified the front desk when I checked out very early the next morning. WiFi worked well in the room. There is an onsite restaurant but it didn’t look like it was fully open so for breakfast, they would just bring the food to my room. The front desk staff was helpful as they booked the Kinabatangan River day trip for me and gave me tips on visiting Sepilok on my own.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We are in Hsiang Garden right now. This hotel is very good for its cheap price. But the best of it is the staff. I came down with just one question and ended up having the best conversations with staff member Mat. He gave us the best tips for all sorts of things to do in the area, things we otherwise would have never known. also he arranged a kinabatangan tour for the best price. What an amazing guy.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

We've spent two nights in the Hsiang Garden. The room was clean and there is the sea on one side, and forest on the other side. We reached the hotel within a nice walk from the junction of Sandakan, or a short busride. We felt very comfortable and would have loved to stay longer, if we'd had more time.

Since travel in Malaysia can be complicated, we received best help from the Hotel Stuff. Especially Matt, who, at our stay, worked in the night, spent a lot of time to explain how it works. Even if we weren't able to book a tour from the hotel, Matt made great efforts to give us tips, how we could organize our further trip. He really was a big, big help for us, why we really like to give this good feedback to him! He showed us the befriending character of Malaysian people. Thank you again:-)

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Chua K, Manager at Hsiang Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

Hi Yannick,

Warmest greeting from Hsiang Garden Hotel.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us.

We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visits possible during their travels and we are glad that we have made your stay much comfortable and pleasant ones.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I do agree that it is the team members makes us proud to see our guest experiences the exceptional hospitably during their stay.

I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service. I will share this with the staff escpecially Matt.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Have a great holiday in Malaysia!

Regards