We visited Lankayan on our honey moon. The hotel was a suggestion of our travel agent who is specialized in diving holidays. It takes 1h45m by speed boat to reach Lankayan, a journey which can be tough for those who are not fond of boats. Upon arrival, there's a tremendous experience. The place is magical, a very small island with wooden houses and two large over water structures, the restaurant/reception/tv room and the diving center. The sand is white and the sea is beautiful, full of fishes which you can see as you are bathing. The staff is tremendously friendly and the food is superb.
There is a turtle rescue center and we were lucky enough to watch turtles nesting and their birth as well.
This is without a doubt one of the nicest places I have ever been and it somewhere I want to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah