We stayed in September with our two adult daughters. We had side by side villas. All of the accommodation on the island is waterfront. The rooms were spacious and clean with a/c plus ceiling fans. If you want the best views ask for a villa at the very far end, numbers 20 to 26. If you want total privacy with garden in front and outdoor shower ask for villas 10 - 14. We didn't notice mosquitos but there were a few sand flies around which you can avoid by not lying on the beach. There are hammocks at the front of most of the villas. We snorkelled from our front door out to the various patches of coral. We didn't dive because we were on the island for only three days. The turtles were the main attraction for us, it was great to be able to swim so freely with so many turtles. Also there are hatchings almost everyday (amazing & sad to watch them mostly all meet their demise via the reef sharks). Because there are only 26 rooms there are very few people in the water at any given time, it never feels crowded. The staff are friendly, attentive and helpful. There is a central dining room, library, relaxation area which also never feels crowded. It is a huge space for so few people so you can easily have your own area. The food is fresh & plentiful. They are constantly feeding you. There is a comprehensive wine/beer list. They don't make cocktails. If you want spirits BYO which you can have on your private balcony. It is extremely chilled. Plenty of time for books and relaxation. It ticks all the boxes for both families and couples. Terrible wifi which limits screen time (which can only be a good thing for most of us). Lots of privacy and nothing to do except talk to each other, eat, drink, dive & snorkel and make friends with turtles in a truly beautiful place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah