Magical island, uplifting, reaffirming, marvelous! The staff are gracious, humble, welcoming, accommodating. The restaurant and relaxation area is an incredible wooden structure, a piece of fantastic architecture that is kept pristine by the staff. The food is excellent quality. The place is so tasteful! The chalets are over-looking the beach, each has a hammock, a balcony, A/C. Ours had four-poster & fridge too (likely all do, we just didn't survey!). Magic came to us- a turtle nested under our chalet! The natural environment is so unspoiled. We can look from the boardwalks, 4 meters up, and spot sting-ray, turtle, needle-fish en route for supper (us, not them, these are protected oceans!). Snorkeling, diving and kayaking are on offer. You don't have to dive to be exposed to incredible, flourishing coral reef! Dives are superb though- a couple of local wrecks are interesting to dip down to & the corals at 20m are teeming with colorful creations- marco & mega! We saw sharks (reef only) at other points in the year bigger versions, including whale sharks, are around. I highly recommend this destination & want to say a huge congratulations and thank you to the team there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah