Our stay at Lankayan was our treat to ourselves at the end of an otherwise budget adventure. And while it was more than we've ever spent, it was absolutely worth it. We had room 26, and sits on stilts, allowing a full panoramic view of the sea (I believe rooms 20 and up are the ones that have unobstructed views like this). While the food, service, snorkeling, etc were all wonderful, it was the turtles that wade this place pure magic. Each evening we were there, hundreds of hatchlings emerged almost on cue, and we released them onto the beach. More can/should be done when overly-excited and ignorant Chinese tourists do not respect nature though—we saw several interfering with the turtles as they tried to make it to sea and one poor hatchling was even stepped on by a completely asinine woman.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A jewel like tiny island in the Sulu Sea, an hour and a half boat rides north of Sandakan; Lankayan has been declared part of an immense Marine Protected Area to adopt the eco-tourism concept. Unpopulated and covered by thick tropical island vegetation on its topside, this peaceful, untouched little bit of paradise is ringed by an endless pure of white sandy beach, offering simply elegant and exquisite accommodation. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lankayan Island Dive Hotel Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Sandakan
- Lankayan Island Dive Resort Sandakan, Sabah