All reviews sea view rooftop area private shower lovely roof terrace book exchange nice breakfast clean rooms kinabatangan river water front breakfast was included comfy bed stayed nights wifi backpacking accommodation tour
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 July 2019 via mobile

With sea views, this backpackers is a handy little stop off before embarking on the Kinabatangan River adventure.

What struck us most is that the owner and staff really understand what backpacking is about. There's a friendly, communal atmosphere and they'll even let you leave your artistic stamp on the walls.

You can book your river adventure from the front desk easily enough (we turned up, booked it, and left the next morning). They'll help you sort it and you can be picked up outside. It's about 3-4 hours from Sandakan by bus to the river.

They'll store your bags if you want to leave them and return to Sandakan afterwards.

Our private double had air-conditioning and shared use of the bathroom.

The one downside (which they're ready to admit) is poor WiFi. However, their partner hostel is just a couple of minutes away and you're welcome to use their superior WiFi for booking further accommodation etc.

There's a lovely roof terrace where you can enjoy views of the sea with a reasonably priced Tiger beer.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2019

Excellent central location , and friendly staff who will order you a grab taxi to get to seplilock animal parks and anywhere else , try sim sim the nearby fishing village for seafood , ask for a drop off at 88 restaurant and go at sunset its lovely.
the wifi was poor in the private rooms and could only be used in the common areas. the breakfast was either pancakes or eggybread with fresh fruit and coffee , i liked the place and stayed 3 nights.

Room tip: no wfi in private room extension
Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful staff. Got us a Grab taxi and took us outside to find it. Great breakfast and coffee (included), and you can take it up to the roof terrace to look over the sea. Wonderful. Room was clean and had an excellent view of the sea.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2018

Solo female travellers.. stay here! As a somewhat older than most backpackers, I still opt for the social atmosphere and love to meet other travellers. I don't do bunk rooms anymore, so I lucked out with private room and shower, front facing ocean view room, AC for about $20/night. The best part was the people. The friendliness and great service - absolute 5 star! The girls managed to book me in last minute to activities (Turtle Island..wow!) that are normally booked out far in advance. I ran into them all over town, they all remembered my name and other details. I just cannot say enough about this crew!! Sandakan is a great jumping off point to do many cool things. Kinabangan River cruise was also a highlight. The staff at Backpackers were more than happy to store my luggage while away for nights at a time, and offer me shower and breakfast when I returned to gather my things. Met lots of other travellers, everyone was happy, friendly and interesting. Cool vibe and great art messages on all the walls drawn and painted by all the travellers. Rooftop patio really nice too, and laundry service. The breakfast was excellent (most places I stay do not measure up in that area). I've been traveling this way, all over the world for over 30 years, and this experience stands out for me more than most. Great job ladies, highly recommend!

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2018

Located right in the centre of Sandakan, and only a minute from the water front, and restaurants.
The hostel is clean, and the staff very friendly and helpful. The private room we had was spacious, if a little loud as it was over the main road, but that should be expected with hostels in the centre of a town.
It has a lovely roof terrace, with a great view of the water.
The breakfast is great here, with eggs and fruit being provided as well as the standard bread and jam.
All in, very good value and a nice hostel, in a good spot.

Date of stay: August 2018