TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsswimming poolgolf courseprivate beachdriving rangeturtle watchingthe main roadpremier roombeach activitiesbreakfast buffet isthe main attractionplay golfeast coastconnecting roomsadults and childrenceiling fanhotel lobbybeach side
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Awana Kijal has been around for at least 15 years. It could do with some updating, but it is still the best hotel in the Kemasik-Kemaman area, has decently sized rooms for large families and groups travelling together, and lots of space for kids to run around & keep themselves occupied.

The room was clean, although it looked a little tired. The hotel could DEFINITELY do with new bedclothes, drapery & carpeting, but at least they were clean. The bathrooms could also do with some refreshing, but was at least clean & functional.

It helps too that there's a huge golf course for the golfer parents, but I can't quite attest to the quality of the course.

Front desk service was efficient & pleasant, as was service elsewhere in the hotel.

I was here for a business meeting, arriving late the evening before the next morning's meeting, and decided to have dinner at the coffeehouse at around 9pm. The place was empty, save one other table, and the menu was quite brief. The sandwich I had was.. quite 80s-style, but the mamak mee my workmate had was delicious.

The room came with buffet breakfast, which was also decent. Hot breakfast options for vegetarians isn't great, but there was plenty of the standard bread, cereal & fruit.

Room Tip: Unless awesome views are important to you, try asking for a room on one of the lower floors so you can walk up to it. The wait for elevators take forever.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank IshDewyn
Reviewed 8 July 2012

When you enter the lobby, you'll see how spacious the place is. But unfortunately the room is not as spacious as the lobby. However with quite good amenities, including mini bar and tv, i felt quite comfortable to stay in the room and enjoy room service. The spa has male and female therapist and choices of Javanese treatment. The beach is clean and beautiful. i enjoyed walking on the white sand in the morning and early evening to enjoy the quiet beach.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The moment I step in the hotel resort, I can sense a relaxing environment. Food can be obtained whether in and nearby the resort. Beaches are clean and stretches far end where you can find good rocks along the coast, but not an ideal beach for swimming. All activities are as stated in the website. I have no high expectation in their service provision since east coast living life style is not as comparable to city life style. Therefore, hotel workers are laid back in many areas. Hopefully, HR could prepare more training programme for the workers to cultivate better alertness and understanding level.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good sea view. It depends you get a room which is either facing the pool or golf.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank E N
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is my 2nd trip to Awana Kijal for a 3 nights leisure breakaway. It did not occur to me to review, but I simply had to commend the housekeeping. The lightbulb in the toilet fused on my 2nd night there. I did not bother to request for replacement as it was not causing much inconvenience. The light from the main bathroom area is strong enough to shine through the glass panel of the toilet door. To my surprise, it was replaced after housekeeping on the next day !!! Excellent job done!!

Its private beach is the main attraction for me to return, not forgetting its spacious room and courteous staff. I must say I had a wonderful relaxing stay :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is not a kind of hotel I expect from its 5 star rating.

Went there early June during school break. Bit crowded especially the pool.
Hotel exterior looks dated and rundown but fortunately the beach is kept clean and beautiful.

Our room was smelly when we first entered as the housekeeping had just finished make-up our room at 3 o'clock. Hotel shouldnt had corporate function during peak season.

We were also not happy when found out the gym was closed for renovation while the karaoke room was closed for maintenance. They should inform us when making reservation and consider some discount with the absent of these facilities during our stay.

No variety in breakfast buffet. There was a Malay wedding at night in ballroom and the next morning we had 'nasi minyak' for breakfast!!!

Overall.... 3-star hotel service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family