This was clearly once a nice property but years of neglect are evident in so many different ways: grounds, facilities, service... Our neighbors were visited at night by a rat; we heard EVERYTHING through paper thin walls including unhappy exchange with PIR personnel as they failed to satisfy their distressed guests. Difficult to sleep at night because you can hear everything in adjoining rooms and outside as well. Menu is limited & no beer, wine or liquor is served or sold here. Most upsetting to me is the way the water taxis drive right up on the beach to collect passengers; it will not be long before the beautiful corals & marine life off of this beach is destroyed and they will no longer have that attraction to draw tourists. Such a shame that Malaysia, as a nation, aspires to be an expensive tourist destination to add to their national treasury but does not find it compelling to provide quality facilities, grounds or service as fair exchange for tourist's money. These problems are not unique to Perhentian Isand Resort; we experience similar issues in other parts of Malaysia, particularly Taman Negara, Cameron Highlands to a lesser extent. Exceptions are chain hotels (Shangri-la, Hyatt, Westin, Marriott, Sheraton...) and YTL properties; they know how to please and earn repeat guests. We joked with other PIR guests & from the resort next to it, Coral View (no running hot water in bathroom), about the conditions and we all agreed that we would love to have the opportunity to "fix" this property's problems - ripe with "potential" - PIR was fully booked when we were there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perhentian Island Resort is an ideal beach resort for a leisurely family vacation in Malaysia. Surrounded by lush greenery, facing white sandy beaches and a warm blue sea, Perhentian Island is a holiday paradise not to be missed. Perhentian Island, or Pulau Perhentian as the locals call it, is well known as a marine paradise and forms a parts of the National Marine Park of Malaysia. In the surrounding areas of Perhentian Island Resort, you will find many things to see and do. Take a jungle trek up the hills under a canopy of large trees, and you might see wild magpies, giant fruit bats or the Nicobar pigeon. Perhentian Island lies along the flight path of this migratory bird. You might also see the harmless monitor lizard or even the unique lutong monkey species. The nearest jungle trail is less than 100 metres away from our resort. Or gather your family and head to the inviting sea for a swim. For those who enjoy snorkelling or scuba diving, the Resort is strategically located, fronting a coral-rich bay. The marine ecosystem of this area is well documented and held in high regards by snorkellers and scuba divers. If you come between June and September, you might get lucky and see giant green turtles laying eggs along the beach. Enjoy your next family holiday at this paradise beach resort, where reality is like a dream. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Perhentian Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Perhentian Island Hotel Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Perhentian Island Pulau Besar