Hotels.com
djdewind
Shah Alam, Malaysia
A simple, yet delightful experience
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 6 Jun 2023
My family and I were not expecting much when we arrived. After all, when we booked this holiday, we knew we were booking a budget-y type of holiday, and not an expensive 5-star holiday.

Nevertheless, The Barat Perhentian surpassed our expectations by quite a lot. First of all, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room itself was clean and we were provided bottled water every day that we were there. The setup was pretty basic, but then, it was all we needed.

We were on a package which came with meal vouchers, and we were not shortchanged on the vouchers as they typically took care of all our meals. If we ordered more on top of the meal package, then we would have to pay more. The selection on the menu was outstanding, and the meals themselves were overall very good.

Our one complaint stems from the dinner that we opted for the BBQ set. It took almost 90 minutes for us to get our order, which was way too long. I believe that the bottleneck was at the BBQ pit and not the wait staff, as the waiters and waitresses were some of the most hardworking people I have ever seen.

The beach at The Barat itself isn't much, but just walk north for about 10 minutes and you will find a pristine beach (just after the pier).

Overall, we loved our stay at The Barat.
Date of stay: May 2023
Вилла с бассейном
0.3 km from The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
Agoda.com
No fees just great deals
    0.1 km from The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
      Pool
      • Vio.com
      1.3 km from The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
      Restaurant
      the outdoor restaurant and lobby building
      • Vio.com
      1.3 km from The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
      Chiken satay
      1.9 km from The Barat Perhentian Beach Resort
      View more hotels in Pulau Perhentian Besar
      All reviews air con dive center snorkeling trips fish ala carte water taxi jetty island resort beach hammocks boat sea package cafe fan mainland
      Selected filters
      Reviewed 29 May 2023

The dive instructor is VERY UNPROFESSIONAL . He try to poke the puffer fish with stick just to amuse the 2 new open water divers.
      Because there is not many dive center in perhentian besar so they mark up the price around 30% ! RM90 per dives + RM60 rental . but in perhentian kecil you can get 95 ( included rental equip) NEVER DIVE WITH BARAT !
      They used to be a nice dive center but revisit after a couple of years the quality drop SO MUCH !

Date of stay: March 2023
      Reviewed 18 April 2023

I have been here multiple times(only because my favorite hotel MAMA CHALET was closed or fully booked)

i HATE this place. its overpriced at around 60+ USD a night, the workers have never once given me or my wife a smile or any kind words.

WIFI IS ZERO in the rooms, and 3/10 in lobby, but guess what? THEY HAVE A SECRET WIFI THAT ONLY WORKERS USE THAT THEY DONT SHARE WITH THE GUESTS. im sitting there in lobby working on my laptop video calling people, and they dont share it with me, until i threan to leave to another hotel, then they give me the secret wifi, it works GREAT in lobby and ZERO in room.

it gets 2 stars because it is clean and has everything you need,(fridge , kettle, space)

i 100% recommend you NOT GO HERE, go to MAMA CHALET or Abdul Chalet, their food is pretty terrible too, just 8 dollar burger is ok, all the asian food is bad(me and asian wife agree)

anyways terrible score is due to workers and wifi and cost.

Room tip: dont go
      Date of stay: February 2023
      • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      Reviewed 6 September 2022

Went here for a solo trip last week. I stayed for 5 nights at the Sea View Chalet and moved to a Garden Twin Chalet for one night. Overall, I think the place needs a lot of overhaul, the chalets seems a bit old and some fixtures in the rooms (at least the ones I stayed at) are not working properly.

The TL;DR of my review:

For the Sew View Chalet:
      Pros:
      - If you're lucky that the previous group/person staying in your room has checked out early, they can check you in as early as 12 noon
      - Room is spacious, can probably accommodate maybe 3 people max.
      Cons:
      - It's not really a "Sea View" coz the chalets are blocked by the rest chairs in front.
      - It's near the restaurant, and if you're unlucky and there are noisy travelers who play loud music, you would hear it immediately, and there are a lot of foot traffic from incoming travelers
      - Not much sunlight due to the trees surrounding it, so it would be hard to dry your clothes when you hang it outside.

For the Garden Twin Chalet:
      Pros:
      - It's located at the back so you won't have to be bothered with sound coming in from the front of the resort
      - Some chalets are not totally blocked by trees so you would get some sunlight to dry your clothes.
      Cons:
      - It's a bit small despite being a twin room. Not much leg room.
      - It's beside two other Chalets, so you would have to deal with sounds coming in from your neighbor

For the restaurant
      Pros:
      - Friendly staff
      - Good food
      - Food voucher is cheaper
      Cons:
      - it gets busy during dinner time 7-9pm. Make sure you come early.
      - Even though staff are friendly, some tend to lose their friendly demeanor during busy hours, because of the sheer amount of customers within the restaurant and they only have limited number of staff handling the orders
      - Food voucher has limited selection than ala carte
      - most chicken dishes are usually only wing part (except probably the chicken rice)

For the resort
      Pros:
      - Staff are friendly and accommodating, especially the ones at the reception, they helped with all of my inquiries
      - The jetty is just in front of the resort, so it's easy to move your luggage and not have to worry about walking too far
      - They have their own facility for the PADI course and also a reception for boat trips and snorkeling activities and they are very helpful in getting you a water taxi you need (even for me as a solo traveler)
      Cons:
      - Some staff tend to be friendly at certain guests only
      - There's really not much of beach in front of the resort. You'd be better off going to the nearby Perhentian Island Resort in the north, or hike down to the Tuna Bay Island resort if you want to have a beach with a view where you can also snorkel
      - Even though there is a jetty, the jetty is so flimsy that it's only a makeshift type unlike those in the nearby Perhentian Island Resort Jetty. For a place that garners a lot of foot traffic from those going in and out of the island, the jetty is really sub par
      - No laundry, you have to go to the nearby resort to get your laundry done for RM10 per kilo

For the full review:

I arrived last Aug 27 around lunch time. Jetty was a bit daunting coz it is a makeshift one made from wood panels hammered on empty plastic drums to keep it afloat. During busy hours (i.e., during checkin/checkout and snorkeling schedules), particularly during lunch, where the travelers from the mainland will arrive to check in, there will be a lot of people coming in, and if you're not good with balancing, you might fall off the jetty coz there is no hand rails to hold on to.

Check in was smooth, I was lucky that the room was already clean when I arrived, so I was able to check in around 1pm. Staff are very nice and helpful with any of my inquiries. They even gave me a pen for free when I was looking for one as my own pen already had no ink. I insisted on paying, but they still gave it for free. Some of the attending staff aren't too friendly though, or at least they are only friendly to certain guests. Not sure if they don't know how to handle solo travelers, or they just plainly didn't want to interact with me.

For the room, I booked the Sea View Chalet, which I assumed was literally in front of the sea. Unfortunately, the resort doesn't have a "beach" and the front part of the chalet is blocked by rest chairs so there's not much "sea" to view. Room is clean and spacious. Room amenities are simple. Air con auto shuts off after 5 hours in the morning (if I am not mistaken). Door knob is a bit busted though, it was hard to remove the keys once you open the room. Light fixture in the room also went out at some point during my stay. Downside is that it is near the restaurant and you will get the noise coming in from that area. At one point, there were some group of kids who were having drinks and playing loud music until 11pm and you can definitely hear them from the room.

I also moved to a Garden Twin Chalet when I decided to extend for one night but Sea View room was unavailable. It's smaller than the Sea View Chalet, a bit smaller, despite being a twin bedroom. While you're spared with the noise from the restaurant, you are beside two more chalets so your problem will be the noise from your neighbors. Fan in the room was a bit busted, the oscillation was not working.

My issue with the rooms, or with their chalets in general, is that most of them look outdated and worn out. Wood floors are creaking as if it weren't maintained for a long time. If you look at the chalets from the nearby Coral View and Perhentian Island Resort, they are well maintained. I understand that we just got out of two years of lockdown, but I hope them having so many guests now would at least help them do some overhaul of their spaces. Otherwise, they will really lose to their nearby competitions. And to be honest, seeing the neighbouring resorts kinda made me regret not booking to the other resorts. I think the only redeeming factor is the fact that they have their own jetty which can be very very helpful in moving in and out of the island, despite the sad status of the jetty.

As for the restaurant, they serve a good selection in their menu. If you get the food vouchers when you book via their website, it is much cheaper as it comes in a set (sometimes with soup, extra drinks or dessert), compared to when you order it ala carte. The downside of the set menu is that selection is very limited. The vouchers are basically for those who avail their packages. Restaurant can get really really busy during dinner time, as sometimes people from the nearby resorts eat there too. If you can, try to go early around 7pm (BBQ starts at 7pm) or late, around 9-9:30pm (closing time is at 10pm). Restaurant staff are really nice, however, you can tell they lose their demeanor during busy hours because of the shear amount of customers in the restaurant. They are probably only around 6-8 servers, serving around 100 people. Can't blame them if the orders get delayed. You can eat at the nearby Belinda Cafe if this restaurant becomes too busy.

Reception for the snorkeling/water taxi/water activities area are also very helpful with your inquiries on snorkeling or any water activities you desire, and also help to get you a water taxi if you plan to travel to other parts of the islands.

Over all, I think the resort is good, if there's something that would make me convince people to choose this resort is the fact that they have their own jetty nearby as it is very convenient. However, if we're talking about the quality of the resort and the amenities, they really have to do a major overhaul in order for them to compete with the likes of PIR and Tuna Bay that have a great beach front. Sure, their rooms are cheaper, but even at the price that they offer, the rooms need a lot of work before travelers can say it's worth the price.

Room tip: Better skip the Sea View Chalets unless you are a group of 3 people.
      1  Thank Ariel D
      Reviewed 29 August 2022 via mobile

The room and the structure are quite basic.
      There a small and poor beach in front of resort.
      We receved a poor service and assistance during our holiday in the structure
      The hall is quite confortable and the restaurant offer a good food and BBQ

Trip type: Travelled with family
      Reviewed 7 August 2022

We stayed with the family in two deluxe rooms.
      There was not any luxury. A worst bed, dirty. No service and complains didn’t help. Refund was not negotiable and complaining didn’t help to
      Solve the problem.. to expensive for such a bad room..the transport to the island 140
      and 140 for the taxi is overpriced.

Trip type: Travelled with family