“Simple & basic yet best experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Fuze Ecoteer Community House
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Simple & basic yet best experience”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Ecoteer is indeed an awesome experience for me. I stayed here for a month - bunked with friendly and cheerful roommates, as well as helping them running the project. Funny how the local villagers thought that I was a foreigner, as I played along with them. The people are just extremely nice and friendly; which made me realised that I love being in a 'kampung'.

Accommodation is very basic. Nonetheless, we had everything - I could cook, surf the internet (even hosted my youtube broadcast) and did all my basic chores. Children can be very tough to deal with at first but they soon became my little siblings. The beaches are just too beautiful to describe and so as the crystal clear blue water - never in my life I have seen so many fishes than here.

I shall definitely be back in future and would recommend more Asians, especially Malaysian to join the project. It's definitely hot, but you cannot complain because it is an island!!!

Room Tip: If you are staying at the Volunteer house - choose the bed outside the 'shark room'. You can...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Makiko_S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kajang, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

wonderful experience with Ecoteer team. Warm welcome and interesting activity. Mind opening experience and wish i could stay longer to participate more on the volunteer works. Awesome stay with local community.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nizkhairul
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed with Ecoteer for 3 weeks back in April and it was the perfect start to my trip. Upon arriving on the island I was greeted by the very friendly interns who were helping run the project and taken through what I would be participating in over my 3 week stay. All the information was very clear and well presented. Over the 3 weeks I found that preparation for classes and excursions was very specific and easy to understand for all volunteers and never found any problems during these times. All staff were incredibly helpful and constantly making sure there was nothing more that I needed. Though this was a volunteer position, it didn't feel like work in the slightest - we all had such a great time, were always smiling and laughing and the end result was always extremely satisfying. Thank you Ecoteer so much for the amazing experience, and I will 100% be back again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I stayed with Ecoteer for two weeks in May and had an amazing time. The combination of being somewhere far from home and different with meeting new people and getting the chance to interact with the villagers was awesome.
All of the activities were good fun and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to take part in doing things I'd never have the chance to do so.
Ecoteer managed to get the balance between work and fun right, I had a great time while being able to help others. It was by far the best trip I've ever been on and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind having a joke while they work, who can get stuck into any type of activity and is welcome to embrace new ideas and a different culture.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We have just finished our two week voluntourism placement with the guys at the Ecoteer community house. It is our second volunteering placement of our trip (the first one was in Thailand) and has certainly raised the bar. We were greeted at the Jetty promptly by one of the interns, who showed us to our dorm and then took us on an informative village tour.

During our two weeks we have been involved with all elements of the project, from prepping and running English and Eco club lessons for the kids to carrying out Coral watch surveys. Whilst there were some areas where better coordination with the school could be improved, the overall organisation of the project has been fantastic.

Everyone we have met has been friendly and helpful and the interaction with the village brilliant.

Our stay coincided with an annual visit of one of Ecoteer's sponsors, so we were involved with some pretty fun team building activities, and Ecoteer utilised our experience as scuba dive instructors on the snorkel tour to help guide and look after some of the other guests.

Only downside is the accommodation, which has a very peculiarly designed bathroom and very creaky beds. But we have been advised this is something that Dan and Seh Ling are working towards getting improved (we stayed in a guest house in the village).

If you are someone (or some people) who are looking for something that will give you a "real": experience of a Malaysian island, this is the project for you. You interact heavily with the locals, eat real food and even get to visit and eat with local families.

A big thank you to the guys at Ecoteer! Hopeful to work with them again in the future!

Neil and Sabina (UK and Italy)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 14 in Pulau Perhentian Kecil
Coral View Island Resort
Coral View Island Resort
#3 of 11 in Pulau Perhentian Besar

Been to Fuze Ecoteer Community House? Share your experiences!