“Not great Western Food”

Avasta Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Anuradhapura
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 February 2015 via mobile

We've read some reviews here re: the Sri Lankan food these guys serve so this is only based on their Western food.

The staff were great, they let us use the their pool and we bought our own wine for dinner.

Unfortunately the food was very disappointing and not what we ordered on the menu. We have been travelling Sri Lanka for 3 months on a £10 a day budget so wanted to treat ourselves to something other than the local fair. They only had one starter available, the mozzarella, tomato and pesto salad. What we got was a hard yellow cheese, three slices of tomato and mints sauce. The main wasn't much better I'm afraid. We ordered lamb and beef steak. No veggies arrived as per what the menu said, just mash. The lamb was ok but the beef was not great at all and for 2000 rupees we were a slightly taken aback.

The moral is we will stick to what Sri Lanka is famous for, rice, curry and hoppers and we enjoy it everytime. I wouldn't recommend going here for any kind of Western meal after our experience.

We wish Vasta the best of luck for the rest of 2015 and hope this review helps in some way.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 2 February 2015

No comments on price. Most travelers seem to be caught up in the $ game. Price is based on market dynamics and season, so no comments.

Decently priced restaurant and good breakfast. All staff have beautiful heart - I can seen it in their smile. It is a natural smile, not the artificial smile you get through training courses/diplomas in hotel management.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank PKinSingapore
Reviewed 24 January 2015

we booked a double bedroom. When we arrived we were taken to a smelly room in a backyard. I told them I would not stay there and after a negotiation we were taken to a nice bungalow.
All the rooms look terrible so if you intend to stay there I would recommend you to stay in the bungalows.
Breakfast was very basic in a very hot restaurant.
They do not accept credit cards so bring some cash.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Netopyr
Reviewed 24 January 2015

On arrival we were taken to a 'deluxe' room which smelt really bad and had no windows so we paid extra and moved to a bungalow over looking a small rice paddy. Much better, cleaner and no smell. I am not sure why they have spa in their name as there isn't one. There are not really options for 5 star in this area, most of it is mid range or lower, and this was not our first choice. No tv channels except for Sri Lankan. Not a bad little restaurant. Very nice staff, although at check in it was a bit confusing. The foyer needs a bit of painting. Wifi is meant to be available in the bungalows (not the rooms) but you had to sit outside to get It or go to the restaurant. It all looks a bit tired except in the bungalows. Small pool. If you stay here pay the extra for the bungalow. We paid around $200 for which I would expect more international tv channels, hair dryers etc. It's just not quite there.

Room Tip: stay in a bungalow
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank VixMix
Reviewed 23 January 2015

Avasta barely got three stars: the 5 chalets are fantastic, the rice paddy they face is equally fantastic, the staff (reception excluded) were super friendly.
Check in was a little lame. Took awhile to find our reservation, no towel, no juice, no wifi in lobby. Every single hotel in which we checked in in Sri Lanka offered us juice and a towel, even the camp site at Uda Walawa. Petty complaint I know but reception here needs to get it together.
They tried to put us in a room behind the lobby. I knew they would be moving us immediately the instant the smell of mold hit my nose but when I saw no windows in the room, I almost laughed.
Do not stay at this hotel if you can't get a chalet.
Even in the fab chalets there are a few problems. We couldn't get a wifi signal unless we sat on the porch. No signal inside.
The TV offers no foreign speaking channels at all.
Lamp beside the bed can't be plugged in because the plug won't fit into any socket on that side. I guess it just sits there for decoration.
I took a shower around 6:00pm and after running the water for about 15 mins it warmed up to a few degrees above room temp.
The requisite slight stench of sewage was in the bathroom the whole time but I have come to find that is fairly standard in any hotel room in Sri Lanka, so that is a government infrastructure issue more than likely.
The batteries in the cute little clock on the credenza needed to be replaced (again, was it there for decoration only?)
The hand soap dispenser in the bathroom was completely empty, proving my decoration theory once and for all.
All in all, a humorous juxtaposition of excellent next to really bad. I suppose an A and an F equals a C. The folks who gave 5 stars probably never saw the rooms in the back.
Oh, and where was the spa????

Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends