The hotel was designed by the inventor of the 'Modern Asia' architectural style, Geoffrey Bawa and is indeed unique. It hugs a cliff and as plants grow everywhere on it (sic) it is about to be taken over by nature as it melts into the surrounding jungle. While more than two decades old, it still appears modern and is well maintained. Staff are well trained and utterly friendly and competent, the food is ok. While interesting sites are nearby, the hotel itself is a tourist attraction.
The emphasis on ecology throughout the hotel is noteworthy, and a stay should include a visit to the ECO Center and a tour with its very competent head, Mr. Sanath Velarathna
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Heritance Kandalama is shaped like the outspread wings of a bird, following the line of the cliff from which it seems to emerge. The hotel is a staggering 1km from end to end, and rises up seven floors, yet appears to be a perfectly natural extension of the mountainside. The flat roof and timber pillars support a screen of vegetation that attracts local wildlife. The abundance of real-life animals around the hotel is complemented by wonderful large-scale sculptures within it. A metal owl is suspended outside the main restaurant; wooden elephants inhabit the lounge; a stone cobra uncoils along the terrace overlooking the infinity pool. However, while focusing on highlighting its enchanting natural surroundings, our luxury resort in Sri Lanka gives priority to providing its guests with the finest comforts and service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Agoda, Ctrip TA and Booking.com so you can book your Heritance Kandalama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kandalama Hotel Sri Lanka
- Hotel Heritance Kandalama
- Heritance Kandalama Dambulla
- Kandalama Hotel Dambulla