This hotel is rather large and is a typical stop for busses full of chinese tourists, french and the like that take over.
The beautiful lake view is by far the best property of this hotel.
My 2 lists:
- Location on the lake shore, occasional elephant spotting, lots of birds.
- Good swimming pool with proper beds and towels,
- Staff attitude is excellent,
- Cook that can cook Srilankan and Western food very well with enough diversity.
- Free wifi (see that bad as well)
- More mosquito's than you can count or defend against, beware!
- Very noisy airco's, even if you turn your AC off, the neighbor's one will keep you awake.
- Outdated and *not very clean* rooms.
- Buffet only, however if you get there 10 mins after opening and there is a bus with Chinese, you'll find empty pots, of which several will be taken away not refilled.
- Wifi in (small) lobby and restaurant only, however range, bandwidth and connection capacity not close enough to hotel needs. With enough guests you will not be able to connect and if you can it is of no use, you'll have to wait till after 22 hours when mosts guest go to sleep.
We would have chosen a less crowdy hotel with a better sleeping experience if we would have know the above
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Well-positioned on banks of the Parakkrama Samudra one of the largest man-made lakes in the country by King Parakkrbma Bahu in the Ancient City of Polonnaruwa.The Lake Hotel is the ideal point of transit within the archaeological cultural triangle and venture out on excursions. Furthermore en-route to the golden sandy beaches on the east-coast and it’s within an hour’s drive from 'The Lake' hotel. Guests can enjoy easy access to all that the lively city has to offer. For those of you who want to venture out, shopping, banking, and other commercial needs, it’s only four kilometres away the from the commercial town of Kaduruwela.'The Lake' basically is a hub to the ancient city, Archaeological sites, wild life and the beaches on the east coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lake Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.